Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street signs as gaeilge in Brisbane?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Just back from doing the east coast and I noticed this in Brisbane. A few streets around the valley (could have been in other places too but that's where I saw them) had street name signs, and then below them a sign with the street name in Irish, using the old Irish typography our parents would have learnt.

Anyone know what this is about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

The Bloke (forget his name now but i went to school with his son Patrick) who owned Dooleys pub (since sold it on) on Brunswick St in the Valley is from kilkenny originally, anyway he started up the St Patricks day parade in Brisbane (being the smart business man he is of course it finished at Dooleys pub), so after a while he applied to the Brisbane City Council, i think it was Jim Sorley who was the lord Mayor at the time who who signed of on the idea of having dual signage in gaelic and english.

The name of the Founder is Tom Dooley. (it has been 20+ years since i went to school with his son).
    Great pub back in the day, before the Valley became Boganised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

yeah its a relic from when dooleys was THE rockin Irish bar in Brisbane on Patricks day, there is a precedent for it tho what with a lot of the signs in the valley being in Chinese/English, nice to see the flag Flyin so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Was just doing a search through threads and came across this thread....
    South of Adelaide there is a place around Victor Harbour...a residential area and the streets/lanes are all counties of Ulster..Cavan St, Antrim St...etc....great one to capture on the camera but we forgot to go back to it, to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Similar experience here in Sydney.

I had to pick up a guy from work once he lives in Ennis Ave, Killarney heights. When I got to his area I was surprised to see nearly every street was named after an Irish town.

Donegal Road
    Roscommon cres
    Connemara Ave
    Kildare Grove
    Dublin Ave
    Westmeath Ave
    Tipperary Ave
    Carlow ave
    Belfast place.

see for yourself

Its a really nice area of N Sydney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah but the one in the valley is
    Brunswick St
    Sraid Brunswick
    sorta like the aul Irish ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perth also has a suburb south of the Swan River where every street is named after an Irish county or town.

Unsurprisingly the local soccer club there is called Shamrock Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Perth also has a suburb south of the Swan River where every street is named after an Irish county or town.

Unsurprisingly the local soccer club there is called Shamrock Rovers.

yeah, thats mad - Waterford, Clonmel and the likes...proper little Ireland! Mate of mine plays for Shamrocks these days too

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

there are loads of places named after towns and areas back home. Glendalough, Ballina, Connaught etc.

Pronunciation is a bit off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

uglyjohn wrote: »
    there are loads of places named after towns and areas back home. Glendalough, Ballina, Connaught etc.

Pronunciation is a bit off though.

I know - you do get some funny looks when pronuncing 'Glendalow' as 'Glendalock'

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

yeah i know. the way they say it always makes sense when you see it written....but to me it just sounds wrong.

The aussie equivalent is probably C0ckburn. i say it like its written and they say it Co burn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement