Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!Help! i messed up my girlfriends EEEPC!!

• 24-04-2010 7:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hello computer experts.:D

''NTLDR is missing''

I was Using my girlfriends ASUS EEEPC (a standard cheap one) and rearranging the things - movies and music- scattered in the C and D drives. After i put all the videos and music into their correct folders, i also (thinking i was doing a great job) took the computers Icons there from the start (since we bought it) and put them into an newly made 'unused icons' folder.

When it copied a few accross it came up saying something about can't do some action. i was not paying much attention ( so yes, my fault entirely) and said yes to all. It didn't look great (ominous beeps and things) but i though it would not matter. I used the computer for another hour or so, all being well i turned it off and went out.

When we got home I turned on the netbook and a black screen came up saying ''NTLDR is Missing'' and underneath said ''press ctrl alt and del to restart.'' I did and the same very thing comes up.again. again. a maddening cycle.

next time we restarted we pressed f2 and a screen came up, for a half-second, with some other options. one (i think f3 or f7) got us into something to reload windows, but said it would wipe all the memory from the computer, we'd loose all the photos and everything from our holiday. i couldn't do it. BTW we're in Thailand so i don't know where i can take it to get fixed. or if its an easy thing to fix?? and i'll probably be overcharged. and do i have to wipe the memory??

What did i do wrong? is it fixable? will i have to reinstall everything? does this make sense to anyone

Please some help is needed i know nothing of computers.

ANY ADVICE?? i really could use some help on this!! (i just found this link, it is my exact problem, trouble is i have no cd drive- http://www.fixya.com/support/t3249099-eeepc_says_ntldr_missing_tried)

Thanks

JACK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You will need a way of booting the PC, be it via USB stick or an external DVD drive, where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

In Chiang Mai. Thailand. thanks for the reply, since i posted the ad i have saw the problem on a few pages, so it seems common. all computer jargon to me. i'd love to know if it's necessary to wipe the system; it is all i am concerned about TBH. I am a computer idiot, so go back to computing 1994, that's where i'm at. I was bad at computers in 1994.

Thanks for the help, any help is great. I wanna get this fixed asap, and if possoble lose no memory.

I have a usb mp3 player, but what do i need to do with the USB, load some information on it? I have no access to anything out here.

JACK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH the best way to fix this is taking i to a repair shop if you are as bad at PC stuff as you say you are. Its not a difficult fix but without a DVD/CD drive & CD you are stuck.

The fix is to boot the computer off the cd and go into repair mode and from the DOS prompt type: fixboot c: you may also need to copy an ntldr file to the c: drive

I have had to do this endless times for clients, not to worry all your data is still on the PCs drive just don't let the repair place wipe the drive without recovering your data.

Hope you get sorted.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

external dvd drive and repair windows with xp home edition sp3 without wiping xp !!.Ya need a techie

Just a quick last q, What's a fair price to do this? i mean if it's easy and only takes a few mins... 20 euro, 30 euro? Not into being ripped off. the thing only cost 250 euro!!

Ok, what a bollix having no Cd drive, or CD's! Well, it was xp we used, so will i tell them that all they need to do is load windows xp again? Hopefully it will be easy and they won't charge the bollix offa me.

It would be fantastic to have everything. i'll have to try to convey this to them, The Thais have a habit of smiling when they don't understand !! damn language barrier.

any other final thoughts? Anything missed?

thanks for the help too, reassuring.

JACK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Google Translate does English to Thai.
    http://translate.google.com/?sl=en&tl=th

It may be useful to explain what you want done in a few different ways (repeat but with different words and phrases) in case something doesn't translate well.

Got it sorted. Took 5-10 mins. Cost 200 bhat (5 euroish) how bad. thanks for the help lads. i did translate a detailed account of the problem into thai, using google translator (how handy is that?!) but didn't need it.

at least i got it sorted, got all my stuff back intact.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

200 baht?

Extortion!

200 baht?

Extortion!

Ha! I was expecting 500 baht or something, would anyone doing the same job in Ireland take a dirty fiver... for doing anything? they'd be insulted to ask for that. well, i assume you are being ironic. If not, how ****ing cheap is thailand??!! I was over the moon at that.

alls well that ends well

JAK:D

Advertisement