Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bird breeders

Options
  • 24-04-2010 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi all,
    im looking for bird breeders all around ireland who would like to supply me with birds. it is for pet shops. hopefully there is someone out there that can help me.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know this prob. goes without saying but here I go anyway.
    Be wary of some 'bird breeders' there is an awful lot of badly bred birds out there esp. smaller birds and parakeets. Be sure you know exactly where the birds are coming from and any new birds should be quarantined for a few weeks ideally longer before being sold.

So many poor budgies sitting all miserable in pet shops so inbred looking or with scaley face etc. or sitting in the bottom of the cages sick. People in general don't seem to care because they are to cheap and easy to replace sadly and won't spend the money on vet treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulinlaois

I know this prob. goes without saying but here I go anyway.
    Be wary of some 'bird breeders' there is an awful lot of badly bred birds out there esp. smaller birds and parakeets. Be sure you know exactly where the birds are coming from and any new birds should be quarantined for a few weeks ideally longer before being sold.

So many poor budgies sitting all miserable in pet shops so inbred looking or with scaley face etc. or sitting in the bottom of the cages sick. People in general don't seem to care because they are to cheap and easy to replace sadly and won't spend the money on vet treatment.
    thank you for your reply. i only want to buy from good stock. but will let you know if i come accross anything not fitting the bill.
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please specify what species of birds you are talking about here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulinlaois

Please specify what species of birds you are talking about here!
    well the usual, budgies, canarys, love birds, finches, cockatils, normal pet shop stock.
    do you breed birds yourself.

well the usual, budgies, canarys, love birds, finches, cockatils, normal pet shop stock.
    do you breed birds yourself.

My family bred and showed Canaries for generations but that was not my point. I was more concerned with, than interested in, what species you were try to source, as there is a lot of illegal selling of native species.

To be honest, I find this a strange way to look for stock. Good pet shops have contacts with Cage Bird societies and clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

How can you tell where a bird is sourced from? I know you could ask the breeder but how can you tell if they are honest?

My family never had birds before and a little over a year ago I found myself fostering/adopting an old crow that refused to fly (the vet believed it was just old age and some months later he died). He was never put in a cage and was outside, while he wasn't a 'pet' he was still cool to have around! :D

I'd love to get another bird but I've seen so many horror stories of how the eggs are smuggled out of countries (things like the vests the smugglers use and how if the eggs hatch the bird is killed so as not to draw attention to the person... or even beyond that, the poor creatures stuffed solid into crates and boxes).

How can you source a reputable breeder and a bird that was born in captivity in Ireland?

Neely, ir you want a bird get a canary or budgie or zebra finch. No worries there generally as they are bred all over the country. Anything more exotic has to be questioned as to why you want it. Native species should be a big No No!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Neely, ir you want a bird get a canary or budgie or zebra finch. No worries there generally as they are bred all over the country. Anything more exotic has to be questioned as to why you want it. Native species should be a big No No!

I assume by native you mean our wild birds? God no! Trust me, the crow was a rescue and the only reason we kept him was because of the choices we had - keep him as a 'pet' or put him down. He was fine, just old and battered and spent months happily in our garden before he died.

The reason I ask is that prior to this I never had any experience with birds, in truth I thought they were a silly animal to keep... not like a dog who is intelligent, is happy to see you, is good company, etc. I know! You don't have to say it!

The reason I asked about breeders and illegal importers is because I am more interested in a more social bird. Does that make sense? When I think of zebra finches and canaries I think they are pretty and they sing and that's about it.

I live near huge aviaries and I completely fell in love with a small green bird there. I guess it was (in my mind) a type of parrot. He was a gorgeous, friendly little fellow. I spoke to the owner about him but there was no point in continuing the conversation or researching him... the bird and cage (edit: shoebox... it was like 12 x 18 and standard height) came to nearly €450. It was pretty much a case of buy the bird and you can keep the cage (and obviously I would want to buy largest cage I could have afforded).

Which is why I'm here.... asking these questions :D

If I do decide to get a bird I imagine it would be a cockatiel or similar... it's just that the green bird incident raised some questions in my mind.

Head for a decent Pet Shop near you. There's a lot of bunk about dodgy breeders and rogue Pet SHops but 99% of them are perfectly above board and reliable :)

Advertisement