Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FS: Powertap SL+ Open Pro

• 24-04-2010 8:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭

Now that I've switched to crank-based power metering my Powertap is sitting idle.

It started life (according to Ryan Sherlock, the original owner) as a PowerTap SL 2.4 laced to a 32h Open Pro rim with Sapim CX-ray spokes.

When I bought it last March the rim was worn and then spokes starting snapping after a few rides, so I had it rebuilt by Cliff of Cycleogical (now Eurocycles) on a new Open Pro rim with less exotic spokes for better reliability.

I upgraded the firmware so it's now effectively an SL+ hub, which means it supports Ant+ receiving devices (e.g. Garmin 705 and 500). I upgraded the firmware on the head unit at the same time.

I used it all last year and over the winter had all the bearings replaced by Humphries in Finglas.

I then used it on the turbo for a few weeks, at which point the freehub bearings appeared worn so I had the entire freehub body replaced by Cycleogical as I was in a hurry before the first race of the season and they didn't have the separate bearings in stock.

So at this stage the hub has an almost-new freehub, with slightly rough wheel bearings. I think new wheel bearings are about a tenner each (there are two).

The rim is in decent shape - it's not done epic mileage as I spent a good bit of time last year off the bike and rode the turbo during the winter.

The battery was replaced not long ago - the only time I've needed to change it. I'll include a strap wrench which is required to remove the hub cover to gain access to replace the battery.

The wheel comes with the original Saris head unit and mount, which I've never really used as I have a Garmin 705.

I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance, hopefully later today.

With rim tape it weighs 1102g on my scales.

Price: €800, for collection in Dublin.

I think the equivalent new wheel is the SL+ Wheel System, which is £1400 from cyclepowermeters.com.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pictures here.

th_DSC_3673.jpg th_DSC_3674.jpg th_DSC_3675.jpg th_DSC_3679.jpg

In the group picture are:

- Saris head unit
    - Bike mount
    - PC connector
    - Hub updater (not needed but probably one shot left for updating someone else's hub to Ant+)
    - Old freehub
    - Strap wrench, for removing hub cover
    - Original yellow hub cover
    - A black plastic freehub shaped thing of unknown purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i'll get this going and offer 700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Lumen, I'll offer €750.

Is changing the wheel bearings an easy DIY job?

Thanks for the offers lads.

I believe the bearing replacement is the same as any other catridge bearing replacement. I've not done it myself, but for a competent mechanic I believe that it's a five minute job.

@FrankGrimes: I was hoping to get asking price, but I appreciate that you're in a hurry to order your wheel early next week, so if it's OK with you I'll see if I get any more offers in the next 24hrs and let you know then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Sounds good Lumen, I'll meet you half way and offer €775 to close it if that works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I'll take it at asking

Nietzschean, offer accepted, will PM to arrange pick up.

Sorry Frank!

Advertisement