Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good whiskey

Options
  • 24-04-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

hi

can anyone recommend a good whiskey i have tried:

jack danials
    jameson
    powers
    paddys
    chivas regal
    glenfidch

lokking for something a bit different?

tommy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Glenmorangie for me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    hi

can anyone recommend a good whiskey i have tried:

looking for something a bit different?

tommy

In all fairness most on a step up from your standard expressions is good. At the end of the day it really is down to taste.

When you say something different what do you mean????

You could try Blackbush (€32) as a step up from the standard whiskies but with a very small price increase. Big sherry influence on this one and you can detect heavy fruit cake flavour in it. Jameson 12yo (34.99) is also sherry influenced but is much richer than regular Jameson with the sherry more pronounced. For a fwe quid outlay you could try Tyrconnell 10yo Maderia (69.99) which is a wonderfully deep flavoured nearly like a wine gum but light at the same time.

Prices from Celtic WHiskey Shop Dawson Street Dublin.

I think Blackbush is on special in Obriens at the mo.

If your looking for a good all round scotch try a Highland Park 12yo again a sherry influenced whiskey but loads of flavours with a lovely touch of smoke (which is not in your face) Dalwhinnie is a sweeter whisky again a touch of smoke but loads of honey and some toffee. If you want something to slap you around the face try Laphroaig Quarter Cask, sweet but full on smoke and medicinal (iodine) notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

+1 on Highland Park and Glenmorangie, very fond of both. If you like port, try a sip of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, it's got a lovely warm porty smell/taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

If you like whiskey then you should definitely try Irish Mist. It's a whiskey liqueur. It's got the smokiness of a whiskey balanced with the sweetness of honey. Very very tasty but not very well known.

Writers Tears, fantastic whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

If you want something a (good) bit different, you could try one of the peaty Islay whiskys.

Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 (or quarter cask) and Lagavulin 16 are all great. The Lagavulin is one of my favourite whiskys in the world. All peaty. Not everyone will like them, but they're great whiskys.

As mentioned already, Highland Park is a great distillery. The 18 is brilliant. And Talisker too - try the 10 yr old. Always described as peppery.

Springbank have lovely whisky too...

My top recommendation, though, would be close to home. A pure pot still Irish like either Redbreast 12 or Green Spot. World-class whiskeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

My Fav Scottish Whiskys ( I kept a list when I worked in a pub )

AUCHENTOSHAN
    [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Lowland Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]CLYNELISH 1991 [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]Highland Malt, un-chillfiltered, 46%

[/FONT][/FONT]DALWHINNIE [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]15 years old, Highland Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]EDRADOUR 1989 [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]Highland Malt, 58,2%

[/FONT][/FONT]GLENMORANGIE [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Highland Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]OBAN [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]14 years old,

[/FONT][/FONT]TALISKER[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Isle of Skye Malt
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT]TALISKER[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]18 years old, Isle of Skye Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]ABERLOUR [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Speyside Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]ABERLOUR A’BUNADH [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]cask strength Malt 59,6%

[/FONT][/FONT]THE BALVENIE DOUBLE WOOD
    [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 years old, Speyside Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]CRAGGANMORE [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 years old, Speyside Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]GLENFARCLAS [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Speyside Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]THE MACALLAN[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 years old, Single Highland Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]SPRINGBANK[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Campbeltown Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]ARDBEG [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Islay Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]ARDBEG UIGEADAIL [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]cask strength vatted Malt
    from the house of Ardberg

[/FONT][/FONT]BOWMORE-DUSK [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]cask strength, Islay Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]BRUICHLADDICH [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 years old, Islay Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]BUNNAHABHAIN[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 years old, Islay Malt
    [/FONT][/FONT]LAPHROAIG [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]10 years old, Islay Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]LAPHROAIG [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]QUATER CASK [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]Single Islay Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]LAGAVULIN[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]16 years old, Islay Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]HIGHLAND PARK [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 years old, Orkney Malt

[/FONT][/FONT]SCAPA [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]14 years old, Orkney Malt[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]12 [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]My Fav Irish Whiskeys [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]BLACK BUSH
    [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]CONNEMARA [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]pure pot still [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif][FONT=RotisSerif,Rotis Serif]RED BREAST

Middleton Rare

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

My favourites are:

Red Breast,
    Green spot
    jameson 12 y/o
    Black Bush

Bourbans:
    Makers Mark
    Jim Beam

Scotch: altho i havent tried a lot of scotches but these i like

Laphroaig
    Glenmorangie
    Glenfiddich

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Try Greenore, redbreast and black bush for three different tastes in Irish whiskeys.
    Writers Tears, fantastic whiskey.

Really? Don't want to open my bottle until they get more in in CWS (and they say that won't be until July or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I have to agree with previous endorsements of Laphroaig, first tried the stuff in Edinburgh and I can still taste it, in a good way. Gorgeous peaty stuff.

For Irish, it has to be Green Spot. Available around the e45 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

black bush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

Jack Daniels, single Barrel is my Favourite American Whiskey. around 55euro
    Jameson 12-Irish 35 euro
    Laphroaig 15yr whisky!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

They don't make Laphroaig 15 anymore, unfortunatley. They have a newish 18 yr old that is very good. It replaces the 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

was never a fan of whiskey until i tried laphroaig...really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MadAboutWhiskey

Try The Irishman 70 which is a unique blend of pure pot still and single malt whiskeys. At under €35 per bottle, it also not that expenisve. Tastes really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

middleton very rare. also very expensive and nice

Advertisement