Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK atheist given asbo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Aren't ASBOs a status symbol or something over there though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is this the start of militant atheism ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pamphlets are the new AK47.

Sound like a dumbass prank that got blown out of proportion. There are cartoons in the "Funny Side" sticky worse than those, but they are at least tucked away in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

What a joke. If he was handing out anti-racists leaflets at a BNP meeting would that be illegal? Surely you should be able to mock and argue against other peoples views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah he was definitely acting the idiot, so he deserved some sort of punishment. The one he got may be entirely OTT, but obnoxious people such as himself deserve to what they get, regardless of their ideology.

Hmm interesting interpretation in the law thou - that the sentence effectively amounts to a blasphemy law by setting precedent. That ain't good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hmm interesting interpretation in the law thou - that the sentence effectively amounts to a blasphemy law by setting precedent. That ain't good

The UK abolished a specific blasphemy law three years ago and replaced it with the Religiously Aggravated part of "Racial and Religiously Aggravated Criminal Offences" - which actually covers more than the original. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I thought that originated with hitler and his atheist camps for children :rolleyes:

I don't get it, how was he being an ass :confused: If those Gideons get to leave bibles in hotel rooms and both them & the religious nuts formerly known as priests get to invade our schools every few months to pour a dead mans ashes on kids foreheads I think it's about time atheists made their voice heard, or read as the case may be... I think the bus campaign was a step in the right direction.

Do you think the kid would have been arrested if he had put the koran inside the room?

It's those damn atheists... :pac:
    The professional 'offence takers' in religious communities will now feel that they have a strong weapon to use against anyone who is critical or disapproving of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I don't think he should have gone into a prayer room to distribute the leaflets, but he should have had the right to do so.

Furthermore, more seriously, he has been banned from distributing the leaflets again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that amount to being told he may not express an opinion in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't get it, how was he being an ass :confused: If those Gideons get to leave bibles in hotel rooms and both them & the religious nuts formerly known as priests get to invade our schools every few months to pour a dead mans ashes on kids foreheads I think it's about time atheists made their voice heard, or read as the case may be... I think the bus campaign was a step in the right direction.

Do you think the kid would have been arrested if he had put the koran inside the room?

It's those damn atheists... :pac:

I don't think he would have been arrested for leaving pro-atheist literature in hotel rooms - he was arrested for leaving anti-religious literature in a prayer room. He was charged in the UK, there are no religious nuts pouring ashes in the state schools.

I don't think a kid would have been arrested for placing a prayer book in a prayer room, that's what it is for. It is not a suitable place to put anti-religious material. As atheists have no reason to pray I don't think it's even a relevant place to put pro-atheism literature.

I'm all for promoting atheism but there are far cleverer and less abrasive ways of doing it than insulting people who want to pray in a prayer room. Worth giving a 60yr old an ASBO for? No. Self defeating? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Serves him right for being a prat. People who purposely go out of their way to offend people are nothing by trouble-makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What ever about this crack pot idiot, why do they get a to have prayer room at an airport :confused: we should be demanding equal comforts :D

calex71 wrote: »
    why do they get a to have prayer room at an airport :confused:

Pteromechanophobia would be my guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

calex71 wrote: »
    What ever about this crack pot idiot, why do they get a to have prayer room at an airport :confused: we should be demanding equal comforts :D

What like a room where we don't pray? See you at the bar ;)

On topic; Yeah he was acting the ass, but an (albeit suspended) ASBO is over the top. Do they plan to start handing out ASBOs to people who knock on your door and try to convert you to their religion?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Do they plan to start handing out ASBOs to people who knock on your door and try to convert you to their religion?

Um..... actually now thats a good idea. Can we include door-to-door salesmen, telemarketers and most annoying of all.....charity-muggers ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Charity muggesrs must fall under the 'anti-social' bracket. Their presence makes people uncomfortable going to certain areas and in some cases makes people avoid the areas altogether. But I digress...

Galvasean wrote: »
    Charity muggesrs must fall under the 'anti-social' bracket. Their presence makes people uncomfortable going to certain areas and in some cases makes people avoid the areas altogether. But I digress...

I had one physically and aggressively block my path once. Now thats anti-social.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Taylor denied three counts of causing religiously aggravated harassment

Are you shitting me? God damn it Britain.

Yes, it is understandable that people would be annoyed by this. Maybe the airport operators would be justified throwing him out of the building. But a criminal sentence? That's completely ridiculous and rather terrifying.

They can get away with it because of all the short sighted people in this thread going "Serves him right!" Haha yeah, what an idiot expressing an opinion that might annoy some people, let's give him a prison sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I had one physically and aggressively block my path once. Now thats anti-social.

Man... he must have been miles behind his quota...
    I've had a few interesting encounters with the auld Chuggers...

Me and a friend walking along Henry street having a conversation, Chugger starts following along beside us.
    Chugger: Hello would you like to...
    Me: No thanks.
    Chugger: but I'll just take a moment of your time.
    Me: No thank you.
    Chugger: but
    Me: No.
    Chugger: think of the children!
    Me: I said NO!
    Chugger: There's no need to be rude...
    Friend: He said no politely 3 times now F*CK OFF!
    Chugger: *SHOCK*

Bloody Chuggers...

Back on thread topic...
    Leaving the flyers in the prayer room may have been too much... but the posters sound great... Though of course putting them up with out permission could be vandalism.
    6 months suspended seems like a lot for this...
    what would happen if one of those guys that stands round in town telling us how, if we don't do what he says God says, we'll be tortured for all time got slapped with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

He sounds fairly demented, alright. I've encountered several atheists who are close to this level, tbh.

kiffer wrote: »
    Chugger: think of the children!

No Way!!!

f606ad58-47f5-4488-8254-722341a4b726

foley-think.jpg

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes, it is understandable that people would be annoyed by this. Maybe the airport operators would be justified throwing him out of the building. But a criminal sentence? That's completely ridiculous and rather terrifying.

No it's not. It serves him right.
    They can get away with it because of all the short sighted people in this thread going "Serves him right!" Haha yeah, what an idiot expressing an opinion that might annoy some people, let's give him a prison sentence.

No, they can get away with it because he intentionally broke the law. He went in there (to a prayer room!) with intent of insulting people, and harassing them. Only a complete and utter idiot would go out of there way just to make other people feel bad.

I'm an atheist, but I'm happy he got taught a lesson. You can't go around intentionally trying to insult people and their beliefs. It's immature, and idiotic. It's people like him who give atheists a bad name.

Fúck him. Good riddens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Are you shitting me? God damn it Britain.

Exactly what I was thinking.

You may not like what he has to say, but he has the right to say it, there is a quote I vaguely recall along those lines, but it escapes me for now.

A criminal sentence for expressing an opinion, this is a disgrace to democracy, regardless of the opinion expressed.

It is as zillah said short sighted to approve of this sentence or denounce the mans actions. To hell with his actions, opinions or his age and other irrelevant minor points, the big picture here is the following.

You cannot express an opinion that offends a religion (atheism offends many religions, homosexuality offends religions, womens rights offends some religions, freedom of speech offends...) and the law of the land has prosecuted and convicted a man for expressing himself. Ha, we live in a secular utopia in blasphemy law wielding Eire by comparison.

Anyone who disagrees with me can call the British police on me, and I will do likewise, hurrah for freedom.

dlofnep wrote: »
    No it's not. It serves him right.

No, they can get away with it because he intentionally broke the law. He went in there (to a prayer room!) with intent of insulting people, and harassing them. Only a complete and utter idiot would go out of there way just to make other people feel bad.

I'm an atheist, but I'm happy he got taught a lesson. You can't go around intentionally trying to insult people and their beliefs. It's immature, and idiotic. It's people like him who give atheists a bad name.

Fúck him. Good riddens.

I find this offensive (really), will you retract and apologise?

Exactly what I was thinking.

You may not like what he has to say, but he has the right to say it, there is a quote I vaguely recall along those lines, but it escapes me for now.

A criminal sentence for expressing an opinion, this is a disgrace to democracy, regardless of the opinion expressed.

It is as zillah said short sighted to approve of this sentence or denounce the mans actions. To hell with his actions, opinions or his age and other irrelevant minor points, the big picture here is the following.

You cannot express an opinion that offends a religion (atheism offends many religions, homosexuality offends religions, womens rights offends some religions, freedom of speech offends...) and the law of the land has prosecuted and convicted a man for expressing himself. Ha, we live in a secular utopia in blasphemy law wielding Eire by comparison.

Anyone who disagrees with me can call the British police on me, and I will do likewise, hurrah for freedom.

There is a major difference between promoting ones own opinion and harassing others because of their opinions. The former is fundamental to a free and open society the latter is contrary to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Could I get an asbo for trolling in the christianity forum? Or telling the cyclists that cars are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Sorry folks. I have nothing to offer. I'm a bit of a lurker, but unless I have 25 posts I'm not allowed thank what I consider to be well reasoned arguments. So that being said, thank you for your patience, I'm off to after hours to get my post count up.:)

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    There is a major difference between promoting ones own opinion and harassing others because of their opinions. The former is fundamental to a free and open society the latter is contrary to it.

Pamphlets.

Seriously?

So artistic expression, albeit in the form of jesus advertising special nails, is contrary to a free and open society.

Why, I've read this stellar logic rear it's face before somewhere....

OH YEAH!!!!

Didn't a particular group of people claim that a certain kind of art was contrary to their perception of what a "free and open society" is :rolleyes:

They also took it into their hands to censor this art, and we're still dealing with it...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He's an idiot and a jackass, but a criminal sentance is a joke.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

So artistic expression, albeit in the form of jesus advertising special nails, is contrary to a free and open society.

OH YEAH!!!!

Didn't a particular group of people claim that a certain kind of art was contrary to their perception of what a "free and open society" is :rolleyes:

They also took it into their hands to censor this art, and we're still dealing with it...

Don't say it, for the love of Dawkins don't say it!

Or telling the cyclists that cars are better.

Don't you dare!!!

sm_waikiki_water_bike02.jpg

Pamphlets.

Seriously?

They were not informative, they were insulting. Their purpose was not to promote atheism or even to argue against religion, their sole purpose was to mock religious belief. While I don't think a conviction was necessary, his behaviour was still bang out of order and counter productive in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thats what he gets for acting the prick

They were not informative, they were insulting. Their purpose was not to promote atheism or even to argue against religion, their sole purpose was to mock religious belief. While I don't think a conviction was necessary, his behaviour was still bang out of order and counter productive in any case.

Just the sort of thing our blasphemy law describes. This conviction is not in keeping with the idea of a free society, where we have the right to express our opinions, no matter who takes offence at them.

Insulting or not, he should be allowed distribute his pamphlets, harassment laws and trespassing laws could have prevented his return to that particular chapel.

A conviction based on the opinions expressed in the pamphlets says that some opinions are ok, and others are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Some people are too clever for their own good.

OH YEAH!!!!

You can insult religion all you like but there is a time and place. That is not in a prayer room at an airport. If it really was art perhaps he should have display it in a gallery.

You can insult religion all you like but there is a time and place. That is not in a prayer room at an airport. If it really was art perhaps he should have display it in a gallery.

They didn't convict him based on time and place, they convicted him for offending religious beliefs.

• Advertisement

Just the sort of thing our blasphemy law describes. This conviction is not in keeping with the idea of a free society, where we have the right to express our opinions, no matter who takes offence at them.

Insulting or not, he should be allowed distribute his pamphlets, harassment laws and trespassing laws could have prevented his return to that particular chapel.

A conviction based on the opinions expressed in the pamphlets says that some opinions are ok, and others are not.

He can hand out pamphlets all he likes on the streets. He can place advertisements on the telly/radio/internet/billboards for all I care. It's not the material I object to it's the place where he decides to hand it out.

I find this offensive (really), will you retract and apologise?

No, and I'm offended by your request for an apology.

He can hand out pamphlets all he likes on the streets. He can place advertisements on the telly/radio/internet/billboards for all I care. It's not the material I object to it's the place where he decides to hand it out.
    They didn't convict him based on time and place, they convicted him for offending religious beliefs.

Who are you arguing against? I've said all along he didn't deserve a conviction, he is still acting like a dick.

Damn that was quickshooting, you beat me to it!!!

Point, set match!

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, and I'm offended by your request for an apology.

So by your logic neither of us should be allowed express ourselves, for being offensive?

I am defending the right to express myself and offend if necessary, you are not.

Either do as you said regarding offence and retract, or realise that silencing and criminalising 'offence' is not becoming of free and open debate.

Who are you arguing against? I've said all along he didn't deserve a conviction, he is still acting like a dick.

Original reply to me.

I am merely saying that where he expressed himself is irrelevant, I may have taken you up wrong on your opinion of the conviction, sorry.

I am merely saying that where he expressed himself is irrelevant, I may have taken you up wrong on your opinion of the conviction, sorry.

We'll have to disagree, tact has everything to do with time and place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I see nothing in that article to indicate that the context in which he was distributing these pamphlets was not taken into account.

It's like going into an abortion clinic and distributing anti-abortion leaflets.

We'll have to disagree, tact has everything to do with time and place.

Disagree about what?

You seem more concerned about whether or not he acted like a "dick" or was tactful, I am wholly unconcerned about that, I am only interested in the criminal conviction and people who say that that is acceptable.

We likely agree on both subjects, but it is only the conviction and the law that facilitated it that I care about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement