Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Razor blades online

• 24-04-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I need good quality razor blades as I've got a lot of stuble to contend with!

Is there any cheap alternatives online (preferably with free delivery) to the quite high prices you pay in Tesco or the pharmacy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Im sure there are plenty out there but you have to be careful of the conterfeit blades, they look exactly like the real thing but the blades are crap and will rip the face off you. you may get what you pay for--- cheap blades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Try a DE - bit of an inital investment but 10 blades are €2 and much better.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055448697

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I buy my mach's of ebay. they deliver them in quantities. I have no trouble with them an they work out a lot cheaper posted to the door. small stuff like that is easy posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I buy my mach's of ebay. they deliver them in quantities. I have no trouble with them an they work out a lot cheaper posted to the door. small stuff like that is easy posted
    Loads of fakes on ebay though. chemistdirect.co.uk sell them, there is a sharpener device that is meant to work very well, made just for mach 3 blades.

I use an electric myself think you are mad not to!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to also suggest a double edge razor over any of those fusion or mach3 blades, cheap as chips to buy and give a much much better shave.

I switched to them in January 2009 and have never looked back :)

Check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rubadub wrote: »
    chemistdirect.co.uk sell them, there is a sharpener device that is meant to work very well

Your referring to a razor pit, you can buy it online here - http://www.shaving.ie/products/RazorPit-Blade-Sharpener.html

Honestly can't say enough good words about shaving.ie, excellent customer service great to deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Found that they took too much time, and left my skin feeling very red and itchy. Blades are quick, and are smooth. Saying that, I know a few who are the opposite, so it really is "trial and error".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

the_syco wrote: »
    Found that they took too much time, and left my skin feeling very red and itchy. Blades are quick, and are smooth. Saying that, I know a few who are the opposite, so it really is "trial and error".

I have both and definatley would be better going with a mach3 and shaving oil!

Electric BURNS man.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your referring to a razor pit, you can buy it online here - http://www.shaving.ie/products/RazorPit-Blade-Sharpener.html

Honestly can't say enough good words about shaving.ie, excellent customer service great to deal with

Just wondering have you, or anyone else on here used the shaving pit and did it work well. I think a little part of me dies everytimne I hand the gilette company about €12 for a few bits of sharpened steel :(

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I've tried others but i'd like to know some ingenious way to resharpen the bic single blade razor.I'd be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the_syco wrote: »
    Some say the opposite simply because they got used to whatever they use, the change over takes time, changing between different electrics also takes time. I remember having a cheapo one first that was going blunt so I got a new fairly decent remington thinking it would be a new smooth refreshing change, I was in bits the first week or so until I got used to it, then a month later it was silky smooth. I have read about this many times, I think it has something to do with the way the hairs grow and rotation of blades.

I imagine most people start on blades -I did, when you start shaving with bum fluff in your teens you might not have money for a electric and a normal razor lasts ages with little growth. So you get used to blades, now I expect many try a mates electric and indeed I would expect it to tear the face off you first time and put you off them for life. Sudocreme is brilliant for stopping a rash and relieving any pain. Once used to the new electric I never looked back. I think it is more "trial and get used to it", than "error", going from a electric back to a normal razor can result in rashes etc for the same reasons. I am surprised there are not more guys at weddings with red faces as many go to barbers for a shave on the wedding day, but I suppose a barber might do something different to stop it, hot towels etc.

I find an electric faster & handier since I do not even have to concentrate using it, I cannot get cut, no messing with foam etc. My remington recently has worn out and some bits of the protective screen broke and scraped my face, I broke them off but it is now exposed. Just ordered a new one which is meant to be good for several days growth -which I often have.

47% off and free shipping http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Electric-Rechargeable-Male-Shaver/dp/B0029Z9XNO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1272660957&sr=8-2

Nolimits wrote: »
    Just wondering have you, or anyone else on here used the shaving pit and did it work well. I think a little part of me dies everytimne I hand the gilette company about €12 for a few bits of sharpened steel :(

I've not used one, I think one or two people over on the facial hair forum may have, I've not used a Fusion or Mach3 blade in well over a year at this stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

95% of the ones on eBay are fakes and terrible quality. I know from experience. I was having really sh*t shaves from them, so I sent a bunch of them to Proctor & Gamble in the UK (i.e. Gillette) and they confirmed it was counterfeit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hmm, I dunno, depends on the growth and thickness, I challenge anyone to show me an electric shaver that gives results on par with a wet shave..I've been there done that with many Philishaves and they all fell short.

I was planning on going DE but I bought a special offer multi pack of Mach3 last December and I worked it out that they will last me until October (I don't shave every day even though I could merit it). So maybe for Christmas 2010 I'll make the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

pokaface wrote: »
    I need good quality razor blades as I've got a lot of stuble to contend with!

Is there any cheap alternatives online (preferably with free delivery) to the quite high prices you pay in Tesco or the pharmacy?

Here's some low priced ones on eBay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=razor+blades&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Stuff Tesco and the Pharmacies. I never buy my razor blades from Tesco, I bought several Asda kits in Enniskillen where I saved about EUR15.00 after the conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Are straight razors any good? Or too dangerous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Are straight razors any good? Or too dangerous?

Good, but takes a long time to learn how to use one. Check out the threads on the Facial Hair and Hats forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Alejandro M

Multi-blade cartridges suck and ruin both your wallet and your complexion!

Step 1. Go and buy an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor, a pack of Personna Double Edge blades, any Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream from Shaving.ie

Step 2. Google DE Shaving and be amazed with the resurgence of real shaving.
    Go to You Tube and type in DE Shaving and videos of see men in action at the bathroom sink!

Step 3. Master DE Shaving, get the super smooth shaves of your life for the rest of your life and never look back on marketing gimmicks from companies that give you all the choice in the world as long as you use their products.

Step 4. If you are at Step 4, congratulations now that you,re shaving like a real man!

Follow those 4 Steps and never again will you be controlled by the hype of modern day gimmicks, I mean come on, what will they come up with next a 7 blade, 8 blade, 9 blade or even a 10 blade razor? Wake up, smell the coffee and shave like a MAN!!!

Advertisement