Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XBox 360 Elite - What to do?

• 24-04-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,913 ✭✭✭✭

(First off - apologies if this is in the wrong place.. I was going to put it in "modding" but thought maybe here might be best first - feel free to move though)

Now that that's out the way... :)

I have an XBox 360 Elite that I got for Christmas last year. Since then it's gone virtually unused so it's actually up on Adverts at the minute, but I've been thinking about why I haven't used it, and what other options I might have.

I'm primarilly a PC gamer and these days I don't even do that much - maybe an hour of BF2, or Supreme Commander, Civ etc - so I've mostly played arcade racers on the XBox (NFS, Forza etc) which I have to admit are good fun and better than their PC equivalents. I've tried an FPS or two, but I just preefer the old-fashioned keyboard/mouse for these!

I suppose I look at an XBox/Console the same way as I'd view an arcade machine.. good fun for 15/20 minutes of speeding around a track or whatever, but if I want internet, or TV I have the PC/Sky box for that.

Also there's the price of the XBox games to consider, and the fact that you have to pay to use it online, and that you can't just stick in any old wireless card (it has to be the €70 MS one!), and seeing as my router is in the hall, running a 15ft Ethernet cable all over the place isn't really an option either.

So I suppose that's why I put it up for sale but as I said, I know there's other options - modding etc. I know very little about it though, so what exactly would I gain/lose by doing that to the console?
    Anything else that I haven't considered or should I just leave it up on Adverts?

Cheers for any advice/suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Not sure what advantages you get from modding a console but I do know that you won't be able to use it online if you do and risk MS permanently banning your console from XBL. Plus you'll lose your three year extended warranty for the dreaded RRoD... and believe you, you'll need that!!! ;)

As a matter of interest, how much are you looking for it on Adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,913 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not sure what advantages you get from modding a console but I do know that you won't be able to use it online if you do and risk MS permanently banning your console from XBL. Plus you'll lose your three year extended warranty for the dreaded RRoD... and believe you, you'll need that!!! ;)

As a matter of interest, how much are you looking for it on Adverts?

Oh yes I've heard about the RRoD but so far it hasn't given me any bother! :)

I was hoping for €200 (thats including 2 wireless controllers and a few games) but before I get accused of pimping, the link is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Oh yes I've heard about the RRoD but so far it hasn't given me any bother! :)

I was hoping for €200 (thats including 2 wireless controllers and a few games) but before I get accused of pimping, the link is here

You could sell it and get a PS3 its wireless and free to play online so that helps with your 2 main concerns.

I cant think of any feature Modding a console gives you. Unless you plan to steal games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,913 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You could sell it and get a PS3 its wireless and free to play online so that helps with your 2 main concerns.

I cant think of any feature Modding a console gives you. Unless you plan to steal games.

Never thought of the PS3 angle... are they comparably priced at this stage?

Is that then why people mod them? I think I remember reading an article somewhere where you could mod the original xbox into a fully fledged home media centre? I was thinking more along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Never thought of the PS3 angle... are they comparably priced at this stage?

Is that then why people mod them? I think I remember reading an article somewhere where you could mod the original xbox into a fully fledged home media centre? I was thinking more along those lines.

Your 360 is already able to do that without modding it. Just download the free software called TVersity to your PC. It's very easy to set up and will stream all your stored content to your 360. I've been using it for years and it's brilliant. Any format that the 360 doesn't natively support, TVersity will transcode it instantly into a format that the 360 will recognise. All you need to do is set up a network in your home ie. a wireless or standard router connecting your 360 to your PC (which can also have numerous hard drives connected to it).

There's one or two media updates you'll need to download from XBL but other than that, it's fairly straight forward.

Hope this helps you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement