Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard drive data recovery

• 24-04-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

HI there,

My brother sent me over his external hard drive from America that won't power up. I took it out of the caddy and its a seagate barracuda 1TB SATA. When i put it into my computer my pc won't power on. When I connect it to the PC, after I've powered up the computer, the computer shuts down immediately. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as there are sentimental photographs on this drive.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭karasu

I would say, that only reasonable option would be to look for same model harddrive on ebay (down to board revision and firmware version) and switching electronics in hope it will work with new electronics.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Agreed, though how many 1TB drives will you find 2nd hand? **

A series of yuotube vids i watched on disk recovery by someone who knows what they're at (linky)suggests making sure the donor drive for the board is within 2 months of the manufacture date of the recipient drive. Modern drives apparently have firmware on the disk platters, for the processor on the board, so they have to match

[edit]just had a look, most are external, most are expensive.here is one of the cheapest, but thats 77stg incl p&p from HongKong; this one is just a bare drive, and the label can be seen, so you could ask for specific details. I doubt if someone selling al external drive will take it apart to get FW/model#/dates etc

Right now, there are 18 link drives that are not external, at 47 to 93 euro, not incl post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

agreed i might try buying a brand new one and sde if i can swap the guts out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

ontrack will cost you 1600 euro ,1 terabyte drive 100 euro max .Ive tried this before youre wasting your time swopping boards has to be exact board and chances of getting that are slim to none

agreed i might try buying a brand new one and sde if i can swap the guts out

• Advertisement

do you think ontrack could do it? I would want to be sure before parting with that kind of money. Plus there is very personsl onformstion stored on the drive

patrickk wrote: »
    ontrack will cost you 1600 euro ,1 terabyte drive 100 euro max .Ive tried this before youre wasting your time swopping boards has to be exact board and chances of getting that are slim to none

Well I can't comment for sure on 1TB Barracudas, but I've done it recently with a Maxtor 20GB. Tried other boards on it before, got one recently with a very close date, and away she goes. The original board was deliberately physically damaged [chips and connector mashed up by big screwdriver etc] by someone presumably try to protect data. I didnt find anything interesting !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I have a Seagate Barracuda ST370640AS 750Gb HDD that was dropped. Its possible that the electronics might be capable of allowing your drive to run sufficiently to recover data. PM me if interested!

i might just give that a go. I am going to give my bother a call first to let him know i am pulling the drive apart and there is no going back. I am working from now until 8 this evening. i will pm you later when i get home.

You will probably need a small TORX screwdriver to change the board, you can get them in Maplin if there's one in Cork. I'd doubt a 750GB board would work a 1TB drive though, but it won't hurt to try, if its for free.

Good luck !

• Advertisement
Advertisement