Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIER?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard anything about this? Saw it in Gamestop today, Square-Enix's latest charge. Not much on the net, but it seems to be an RPG, although based on the trailer looks more like a hack'n'slash

Seems awfully close to the release of their last game. Final something or other

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Im seemed to have gotten myself on the mailing list because i got an email about this game with "Buy it now!!!" in the title...a little bit on the heavy side there square-enix lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Final something or other...I'm hoping thats a bad joke, yes it was a terrible game but it's argubly the most famous rpg series.

There's a thing on xbox live about it, it's more adult themed but it's hack and slash without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

heard it is a dark theme ARPG for adult made by the Dragon Dragoon team.noted the different design of the lead character differs with ps3 and x360 version :pac:i am interested to know how dark the story can be tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Final something or other...I'm hoping thats a bad joke, yes it was a terrible game but it's argubly the most famous rpg series.

Don't worry, I'm in the know. Just finished it recently... None too impressed. Have Square-Enix ever ventured outside RPG's before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Don't worry, I'm in the know. Just finished it recently... None too impressed. Have Square-Enix ever ventured outside RPG's before?
    Square Enix is the publisher, not the developer. I think Cavia developed it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ugh, Cavia, staying well away from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like a bit of a mess. In Japan the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions have a different lead protagonist – in the PS3 one it's your generic JRPG teenage boy trying to save his sister, while the Xbox 360 version has a generic WRPG gruff soldier trying to save his daughter. The version with the adult lead character is the only version to make it to the west, being released on both the PS3 and 360.

However, it appears that the decision to change the lead character to appeal to a more 'western audience', was taken at a very late development stage and big parts of the game make no sense because they tried to shoehorn in a completely different protagonist at such a late stage.

There's also rail-shooting sections, 2D platform stages and a sarcastic talking book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

However, it appears that the decision to change the lead character to appeal to a more 'western audience', was taken at a very late development stage and big parts of the game make no sense because they tried to shoehorn in a completely different protagonist at such a late stage.
    It's actually the other way around. I remember when this game was first announced it was a story about a father and his daughter. What I've read about the addition of the brother character to the Japanese PS3 release in place of the father character is because the Japanese gamers prefer to play as 'shounen' boys and not gruff old men. Apparently we got the original and superior (*cough*) version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I heard about this as well, very small advertising for it; so reckon it'll bomb. I don't think GT have done a review on it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

This is the most underrated game of the year, it's a joy to play. For once a game with an intreresting story and truly epic musical score. Sure the grapics are not up to today's standards but that helps it to maintain a stable framerate. If you are unsure weather to pick this up or not give it a rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

What JRPG does it resemble most in terms of story and gameplay.( I tend to use this as a good way to gauge whether I'll like a game.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wouldn't have given this game a 2nd thought only I saw square enix on the box, now I'm a bit more interested. Mind you the fact that seems to appeared out the blue concerns me and will be doing my homework before getting it I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My days of buying anything with Square on the box ended years ago. It used to be a mark of quality but now it stands for disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€35 in HMV this week. Worth a gamble at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My days of buying anything with Square on the box ended years ago. It used to be a mark of quality but now it stands for disappointment.

I love over the top generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

€35 in HMV this week. Worth a gamble at that price.

You can get it for 15 pound from anyone of the GAME group sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Zero Punctuations review of Nier, if anyone is interested.
    Gardening sounds like stupid farmville repetitive mindless crap.
    Also, title name puts me the mind of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'll be picking this up today (sunday), mainly because I want to hack and slash stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

for hack and slash stuff i highly recommend Muramasa the game on wii :D it is cheap now on amazon and i am loving it(altho for some reason i prefer Odin Sphere than this).

OT:
    anyone else really try this game?

Advertisement