Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinner tyres on mountain bike?

• 24-04-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I haven't a clue about the technical side of things as is obvious from my question! I have a trek for about 10 years - nothing special but it's got the big tyres and i do most my cycling on the road - can i get different wheels or tyres for the bike or does it f up the brakes etc? Would i be better off getting a new bike? Thanks

Comments

Yes, you can fit narrower, smoother tyes on a mountain bike. How narrow you can go depends on the width of the rim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

As James said the rim is key as to how narrow you can go, your lbs should be able to help, or just measure the width of the rim. I've been running 1.25" tyres semi slicks on my own mtb for years, couldn't go any narrower than 1.25" though. You lose a bit on comfort but gain on less road resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Big Apples for that riding on air comfort feel. Remarkably low resistance (under the circumstances) ;)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwalbe_Big_Apple_MTB_Tyre/5360007847/

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have 1" tyes on my mtb commuter hack. Never had any issue with rim width and tyre width.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hairychested

I've used several different slicks over the years, never an issue. Comfort - Conti Town&Country 1.95", speed - GP4000. In our shop we have Schwalbe CityJets, several people like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

Thanks for all the help lads - i'm in cork so does anyone recommend a shop to but and fit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

I did a cycle tour in Northern Spain on a mountain bike with Specialized Armadillios 1.5" and I didn't get one puncture over 990kms of terrible roads.

Advertisement