Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Phase 1 Review.

• 24-04-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

So now that all teams have played each other in the Premier Div.

How do you rate your team?
    What player/s has impressed you most?
    What player/s has under performed?
    What other team has impressed you most?
    How have you found the standard of football?
    What do you think so far, overall?

Personally. I think our team still has to gel. Which im sure a few people would say the same about their own (esp Bohs:)). While we have played some decent stuff at times, there can be a lack of a cutting edge. We have not always defended well this season either and can be quite prone to stupid mistakes. I also find we tend to sit back too much when we do take the lead which hands back the enitiative to the other team. Happened at the Drog, Sh Rvs, Dundalk and Galway games.

Iv been most impressed with Finn and O Neil (honourable mention for Mc Faul too) this season. Finn is just an incredible footballer. The most gifted footballer we have at the club.
    O Neil has been brilliant this season. Not just for the goals he has scored but for the tireless effort he puts in up front for the team. No ball is a lost cause when O Neil is up front.

The players I feel have not performed like I would have expected would be (sorry to say) Conan Byrne and Wiliams. Still early days of course and plenty of time to turn it around but Williams has looked a little lazy and slow on the ball which is not like him. He is a great player who needs to find the form of last year again. Conan has not been his usual self so far this season. Hasnt gone past many fullbacks and when he is clear, his crossing has been poor. Great player though and im sure he will get it right sooner rather than later.

The team who impressed me most is, funnily enough, Drogs. Even though we won 4 -1 at morton they are the team who put us under most pressure at home. Terrible at defending though. Iv been a little disapointed with a lot of the bigger clubs.

Iv found the standard pretty poor from all with some flashes of good football, us included, but im sure this will improve as the season goes on and teams settle in to the league.

So overall, while I think its great that the league is so tight. I do also think that there has been too many draws and too much negative football. The emphesis from nearly all teams has been, lets not get beat and we will see if we can nick a goal. Im still waiting for some team to start playing like they want to be champions. That just my experience so far anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

How do you rate your team?:
    The players? Best in the league imo. The team itself has been **** though, 3 scrappy wins flattered us and we need to pick it up badly.
    Powell has been awesome as usual. Mcglynn has looked very good for us aswell.

Heary, Shelley, Keegan, Cronin, Brennan, Oman. However my main gripe has been Fenlon's continued selection of Cronin and Keegan in centre mid.
    Pats probably
    Terrible tbh. Galway and Pats are probably the only teams to come out and play us (Though I missed rovers). Everyone else has just sat back. We lack penetration so as a result its us tapping it around outside the box.
    We need to step it up big time. The poor results are one thing, but the poor performances are what really worry me, the players really very unmotivated. Pats I think will challenge for the title, along with Rovers if Twigg keeps fit. Fair play to Dundalk for their early season form, but I'd be surprised if they can keep it up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

235-01.gif

Seriously shocked, at the start of the season i though on paper we had a decent 11 but beyond that we would struggle. And with mahon in charge we would be hard to beat.

Suffice to say we are very hard to beat and can score and in SSC final. Dont see us lasting the pace but fairly sure we will try and win every game.

David mac Allister and Paul Byrne only players i knew nothing about, Mac Allister is a superb player and imo should be in the middle but in mahon we trust has done very well on whatever wing he plays on or in the middle. Byrne is starting to click with Faherty and the team in general.

Damian Lynch , Pender is on form and cant be dropped so Lynch at LB with Bermo on the bench :confused:

Sligo fairly sick of them tbh at this stage but decent team :D

Overall better but familiarity will bring the standard down over the course of the season.

Obviously im a tad happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

We have one of if not the best strike force in the league. It's unusual as every year from what I can remember we have had no real goal threat. Defensively we're ok, a bit dodgy but an improvement none the less. When O'Donnell plays, he brings so much to the team.
    What player/s has impressed you most
    Seamus Coneeley, Ciaran Foely, O'Donnell and the front two.

Derek O'Brien is the only one who just hasn't performed to his potential this year.
    Pats or Dundalk probably
    Meh. Some teams seem content to just hoof it away at every possibility. Even we are guilty of this at times. In every game there are patches of great football though, just not enough of it.
    Considering our attenances, our budget, our pitch, our injury crisis, our goalkeeper crisis 11 points is an excellent return. Connor has formed a great team on a tiny budget and at the moment seems a good manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dreamers75 wrote: »

David mac Allister ... only players i knew nothing about, Mac Allister is a superb player and imo should be in the middle but in mahon we trust has done very well on whatever wing he plays on or in the middle.

Smashing player alright, we're missing him big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United

The first eleven is very good, especially the midfield and attack. The squad is very very small though and we've had a lot of injuries/illnesses.

Stephen O'Donnell, Karl Sheppard, Anto Flood, Seamie Conneely, Barry Ryan.

Thomas Heary and Derek O'Brien.

Pats on the opening day.

Pretty poor. A lot of hoofball.

What Foxx92 said basically. If we can keep our best players fit we should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Sligo rovers, good enough to improve on last years results. We have a starting 11 that can beat any team in the league on their day. The squad is a lot bigger than last year.

You have the likes of Brush, Peers, O Grady and Amond who are very dependable. A few of the other lads are performing much better than last season which is good to see and the likes of Marshall and McCabe have been making their prescence felt.

Dont think anyone has underperformed as such but one or two of the new signings need to show us something.

St Pats.

Good so far. I think as the team gels they will get better.

Overall I think we have been unfortunate not to have bagged more points. I am intersted to see some of the players on the squad that havent got games yet. Last season we had a very small squad which left us wanting results wise due to fatigue. So if we can play all of this season like we did the second half of last year we could puch for a european slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Oh dear. Not great tbh, we're missing someone who can score goals. Blinkhorn is doing all the work but Amond just isn't clicking off him yet.

Blinkhorn and Gary McCabe. Ndo was good last night as well.

Mark Doninger is just shocking, and Eoin Doyle is playing below his best I'm afraid.

Pat's defence. Other than that the league is putrid this season.

From everyone, including us it has been appalling.

We need to get it on the ground, Ndo should keep it on the ground, we should be fine and looking for Europe come November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Hard really to give a judgement. Only seen us twice so far this season. Considering the squad was brought together less than 2 weeks before the start of the season it has been an very positive beginning for the club. Team looks very lightweight. But maybe when the pitches get better in June/july it will let us play some good football.

Shane Duggan is the obvious one. Already has 4/5 goals from midfield and is definately our main man. Dave Rogers has also impressed at the back.

Mark McNulty is not good enough IMO. There are a couple of keepers playing in MSL that I would prefer.

Derry looked very strong the night we played them. They look to have found a few local players that have made the step up.

Mix of good and bad, mostly bad. Bohs are going for 3 in a row and still they are playing rubbish football. Cork City in 2005 were the last team to win the championship with any kind of style. Even Sligo this season have been pretty poor under Paul Cook. Who wants to watch the ball air all the time?

Advertisement