Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record low house build cost?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

I've a mate who owns an old single story terraced cottage in one of the better parts of Dublin. It's a 400 sq ft unit onto which he built a 300 sq ft flat roof extension 10 years ago. His family was expanding and, not wanting to move elsewhere, he decided to rework things. In summary:

- builder demolishes entire the cottage (retaining only the front wall and front/street facing section of the roof)

- builder excavates the ground floor - going one foot deeper in the front part and 3 ft deeper in the rear part so as to enable a two story rear section of the house (whilst maintaining the rear roof invisible from street level.

- builder completes a 1400 sq ft home which consists of a single story under the original piece of roof and two story towards the rear. The construction is largely poured concrete (sidewalls and floors) with blockwork for the rest, upstairs and down.

- the finish is to second fix + painting and tiling labour (all floors). Includes underfloor heating upstairs and down

- customer supplies all windows/doors (bought for a song on Done Deal - and making the window opes suit whatever was bought), tiles and kitchen (also Done Deal). Builder installs everything.

Total cost: Euro 90,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wow!!

As for the windows - does your planning usually not dictate your window sizes? I only ask cause a friend of mine built a house recently and ended up with about 5-6 long narrow windows at the front of his house even though they look shít - his house overlooks his parents house.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ill give you a better one...

full tender for 1940 sq ft extension to two storey dwelling, 1200 ground floor and 700 first floor, remainder of ground floor as vaulted ceiling....

not included decoration, kitchen and sanitary fittings.

new insulated and DPMed ground floor, new drylining to 75% of existing dwelling...

successful tender €105K.....

(a further offer of €102 from another tenderer wasnt accepted...!!)

this is why you need to have your specification absolutely water tight...
    in the light of tenders like these the builder will scrimp where ever possible to incur extras..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

I can still do better than that...

Self build 2,700 sq. ft. dormer house, from site clearance to complete finished all furniture etc. Turn Key finish.

Came in at under €100k. And completed in 4 months from site clearance to moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

kardarie wrote: »

Self build 2,700 sq. ft. dormer house, from site clearance to complete finished all furniture etc. Turn Key finish.

Came in at under €100k. And completed in 4 months from site clearance to moving in.

Just starting... did u carry out the labour yourself or did u sub let the work??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Wow which county was this done in. Am pricing builders at the moment in Cork as don't have any personal recommendations so would be interested if any of these houses are in Cork area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Omg some amazing & very interesting prices here!

kardarie very interested in your quote in particular, was that self build or contractor?
    I would love to see if it was possible to build a house beside our house, something about 1000sq. feet; but thought it'd be very expensive.

If that is a contractor you're dealing with, would you mind PMing me details?

Thanks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Sorry kardarie just copped you said 'self build' , my bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Are you still there?

Would be interested to know what Insulation Specs, Heating System etc. you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Prices and regs have changed over the last 2 years so given the age of this thread Im closing it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement