Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exterior Walls for TF House & IAB Cert

• 24-04-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭

Am specing up the exterior walls for a low energy timber frame, and if not using exterior insulation or block, the main options are a

(1) single skin direct render ( mesh etc..) to the OSB or fibreboard or
    (2) crossbatens & cavity with cementacious board & then render ( ie a double skin with a cavity)

Does anyone have direct experience or knowledge of either or these systems / products, know if they have IAB or similar certification and know how well they function in the irish climate where everyone I ask, rightly or wrongly, mentions driving rain constantly.

Would prefer not to end up with block ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Block will be 1/3 the price of the 2 types of alternative systems that you mentioned.

All IAB certs are online and searchable here
    http://www.nsai.ie/Agrement.aspx

There are no IAB certified systems AFAIK for direct render systems in Ireland e.g. rendered softboard.

There are 2 cementitious boards:
    1. Aquapanel (expensive)
    2. Weatherboard (ship lapped effect, no render. On the right house design it looks great, those designs are in the minority however.

I'm currently constructing an externally insulated masonry passive house. TF was my prefered option but with block outer leaf not an option (due to insulated raft I used) the price difference became ridiculous i.e. I will build to passive standard in masonry for 25k cheaper at the absolute worst case. The saving will likely be closer to 40k. At least half of this price difference was due to the cost of the external finishing layer options. There are non certified cheaper alternatives but I couldn't satisfy myself as to their suitability.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Thanks - great reply - its the conclusion i was coming too. There is a weber product but looks like its only for blockwork

has anyone experience building with Scanhomes, Hanse Haus, Griffner etc.... and raised this question with them on render & been satisfied enough with the answer to proceed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

Dry-vit also do a solution similar to the Weber system and they will apply it to a TF house.

Advertisement