Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pale Ales

• 24-04-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

After my adventure into the world of good beer, I've discovered that I generally enjoy Pale Ales the most, especially Belgian and American, and usually the lighter coloured ones. Also quite partial to a subtle flavourings, like Barbar or Fuller's Honey Dew, but not as sweet as Inis and Gunn. Also very partial to a good Weissbier.

Favourites so far have been Speakeasy's Big Daddy, Delerium Tremens, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Tripel Karmelite, Rochford 8, and on the Weissbier front, Chimay White and Weihenstephaner.

Basically, I'm running out of beers to try, so any other reccomendations of great beers I've missed would be great! Generally shop in Sweeney's in Hart's Corner, or Supervalu on the Quays (which has a surprisingly good section), and planning on trying Martin's in Fairview soon.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sounds like Ór by Trouble Brewing -- currently on tap at the Bull & Castle -- would be right up your street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

BeerNut wrote: »
    Sounds like Ór by Trouble Brewing -- currently on tap at the Bull & Castle -- would be right up your street.

Doesn't come bottled no? I'll try it when I'm down that way so!

Think I'm dropping by DrinkStore later so maybe I'll just pick out a few Pale Belgian ones I haven't tried...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dogfish Head 90' is fantastic, the 60' is pretty good too.
    The River Horse range is good - particularly the Hopalotamus.
    Butte Creek range also nice.
    Flying Dog do some nice pale ales too.

From Belgium,Hommelbier is one of my favourites and La Chouffe do a hoppy pale ale too - very nice.
    While not a pale ale, Orval is well worth a try - crisp, dry, spicy, copper coloured beer - fantastic!

You might also like to try the Schneider/Brooklyn brew, Hopfenweiss - it's a collaboration between Brooklyn brewery and Schneider - a hoppy weiss.
    I've only tried the one from Schneider but I believe the Brooklyn one is available in Dublin.

Timothy Taylor Landlord is a very nice English Pale ale.
    Brewdog's Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are good too, if lacking a bit of subtlety!

There's a few to keep you going!

Dogfish Head 90' is fantastic, the 60' is pretty good too.
    Butte Creek range also nice.
    Flying Dog do some nice pale ales too.

From Belgium,Hommelbier is one of my favourites and La Chouffe do a hoppy pale ale too - very nice.
    While not a pale ale, Orval is well worth a try - crisp, dry, spicy, copper coloured beer - fantastic!

You might also like to try the Schneider/Brooklyn brew, Hopfenweiss - it's a collaboration between Brooklyn brewery and Schneider - a hoppy weiss.
    I've only tried the one from Schneider but I believe the Brooklyn one is available in Dublin.

Timothy Taylor Landlord is a very nice English Pale ale.
    Brewdog's Punk IPA and Hardcore IPA are good too, if lacking a bit of subtlety!

There's a few to keep you going!

That Hopfenweiss sounds really interesting, I'll have a look for that. I've had Orval and La Chouffe alright, loved La Chouffe, but I find Orval just a bit too hoppy I think, seems a bit bitter or something. Good few to try there though, cheers.

That Hopfenweiss sounds really interesting
    It's lovely. Dunno that it's €12-a-bottle lovely, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Manny's Pale Ale.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's lovely. Dunno that it's €12-a-bottle lovely, though.

€12 a bottle?! Where?

Anyone ever had Monchshof Kellerbier? A friend got it in Berlin, and swears it's the nicest beer he's ever had. Havn't seen it in Dublin though. Sierra Nevada Kellerbier might be a good alternative.

€12 a bottle?! Where?
    Most anywhere I've seen it. DrinkStore, for instance.
    Sierra Nevada Kellerbier might be a good alternative.
    ... if it existed. Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is a fairly ordinary weizen: not recommended when there's the like of Weihenstephaner and Schneider in the same shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Had that lately and really really liked it ... full of flavour. Probably my favourite IPA to date :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sadly I think their Double Wit sums up every that's goes wrong with American interpretations of Belgian beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyone ever had Monchshof Kellerbier? A friend got it in Berlin, and swears it's the nicest beer he's ever had. Havn't seen it in Dublin though. Sierra Nevada Kellerbier might be a good alternative.
    I ordered a load of beer from Beerangel last year and according to the order list I got 2 bottles of this.
    I didn't take any tasting notes (which I did for most of them) so I must've been fairly underwhelmed by it.

Oh and +1 for Ór. Great beer......and Irish too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

oblivious wrote: »
    Sadly I think their Double Wit sums up every that's goes wrong with American interpretations of Belgian beers

Oh i wasnt a fan of the double wit, i was having a wit/weiss night recently and it was not what i was expecting at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Goose island ipa is my favourite. Their nut brown is nice too.

Advertisement