Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Holiday

• 24-04-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Okay, so myself and two friends are planning to cycle over to France for a week during July. Just a few questions:
    What are the best ways to carry our stuff on the bikes?
    What are the essentials to carry?
    And if anyone has done this before, any tips to make it more enjoyable?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

The best way (but ultimately the higher initial cost) is to use racks attached to the bike and pannier bags attached to the racks.

the cheapest way is to just use a backpack if its a short holiday. I WOULD NOT recommend this ;).
    what to carry depends on how long, whether your camping or not and personal preference :)
    oh and if you think you might like doing this sort of thing more in future, its worth getting a certain quality of stuff, nothing mad, but solid reliable gear (racks and pannier bags especially)
    I started off with a 30yr old set of panniers, a mtn bike, and ill fitting rack, and other substandard stuff (crap sleeping bag, no matress or most stuff which I now have) and now have a completely seperate touring bike, which is made to racks and panniers and mudguards, and have all the stuff I wished I had after meeting people on tours who have things I didnt know of at the time, now I have LOADS of kit including a few tents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

Some friends of mine took the ferry from Rosslare to Roscoff, cycled to Cherbourg and caught the ferry back to Rosslare. I believe that the route was quite hilly in places, which was a bit of a challenge, as one of them was on a single-speed. But they had an amazing time.

Racks and pannier bags are a must - and travel as light as you can. It's much better if you're travelling as a group, because the weight of camping gear can be shared. And you should always allow a bit of extra space to carry food.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I plan on carrying as little as possible on my trip.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement