Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - good value?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's an okay lens.

I used to have the 55-200 version.
    Build quality isn't great and it's not super sharp but it's quite usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I use this lens and I've no complaints myself tbh.

Okay, so it's not nearly as good as an L quality lens but it's good as a walkaround, has IS for low light and when you stop the lens down a stop or 2, you get reasonably good quality shots.

It's not a good lens for sport tho

It's also quite light and compact and I hear good things about the IS on the new model.

There is a review here:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

He recommends the L lens but do you want to be walking around with a big white lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

I don't know how Argos compares pricewise, but the Lens is a good buy- there are far weaker lenses vailable at a similar price. This was best in class in Digital Photo a few Issues back (before Christmas). It doesn't have the price, weight or quality of an L Lens, but if you are new to SLR photography L lenses are VERY expensive... For sport or Nature Ls are better, but then so are 6 grand pro spec telephotos (that can weigh 10kg+). get what you can afford and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Hi, I'm new to photography and I've a Canon 500D. I've been considering getting a telephoto lens for some time now and this seems like a decent price, is it?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0583424/Trail/C$cip=1500030263%3EC$cip=1500030288.htm

The price is a bit high. There is at least one of these on adverts.ie at the moment. Asking price: €180. Brand new price from UK including shipping around €200.
    I've also been advised not to buy anything photography related from Argos so I didn't buy my camera there. Are they not all the same?

I bought my 500D from Argos because the price was about right compared to on-line prices. I went elsewhere for my lenses because Argos prices were too high.
    Or what alternative lens should I get, with interests in Sports and wildlife

For field sports, you really want a fast zoom or telephoto lens. Be prepared to pay more than the price of the camera for it. For amateur/hobby use, cheaper zoom lenses from Canon, Sigma, Tamron etc are good enough for many purposes. I bought a used Sigma 70-300mm APO on eBay for €95. Other reasonably priced options are the Canon lens you are looking at, the Canon 70-300mm (non IS) and Tamron 70-300mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As an alternative nave a look at the Canon 70-200 F4 L (Non-IS).

Simply an amazing lens.

Can be got for about €400 used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've that lens and was thinking about selling it. PM me if your interested before it goes on adverts.ie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Sorry I let this lie too long to notice your offer, thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still uncertain which to get but I've a long time to decide... Hobby funds are low! :(

Thanks again everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Can't comment on the Lens as I'm not a Canon user. But the price is high, check out simplyelectronics.net, it's €100 cheaper with free delivery.

http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?w=Canon+EF-S+55-250mm+f%2F4-5.6+IS+&asug=&currency=eur

I bought a Sony A550 from them, good service and great prices, I got the A550 for less nearly 100 cheaper than I could find an A500 elsewhere.

I have not connection with simplyelectronics other than buying my camera from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I think simply electronics are based in China so you might have to pay customs. Check ebay.co.uk pretty much every lens is available on there, often new and used.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Any lens for sale in Argos is not worth buying. The lens is more important than the camera body. Get a good lens and you wont look back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

thefly wrote: »
    Any lens for sale in Argos is not worth buying. The lens is more important than the camera body. Get a good lens and you wont look back

simply not true, the Argos bit.

A couple of years ago Argos screwed up and were selling the 28-135 IS for much less that they should have been.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055149335

That said Argos don't do really high quality glass (L) but you'll get good prices on what they do sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    simply not true, the Argos bit.

+1 to that. A lens is a lens is a lens. Only the price may differ. And as Suspect says, remember that time a couple of years back when Argos UNDERPRICED a Canon lens.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

rowanh wrote: »
    I think simply electronics are based in China so you might have to pay customs.

Don't think you are correct. As far as I know they are based in channel islands, but ship from London warehouse. Their prices in my personal experience include VAT, so no customs issues. They have a local telephone # which is routed to I believe the UK.

Advertisement