Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths??

Options
  • 24-04-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm doing my JC this year and I heard about the new maths syllabus for LC and JC next year? If you know anything about Project Maths or the changes involved to both JC and LC (sister will be doing JC) that would be great :D
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I have a feeling there's something on the leaving cert forum, you should try there!

EDIT: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Ally7 wrote: »
    I have a feeling there's something on the leaving cert forum, you should try there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Steve Collins

I hope it makes Maths a little bit easier anyway, so I might have a hope of doing Honours for LC (I get Ds in honours JC now)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

When will it come in?
    I can't find a year or anything...

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »
    When will it come in?
    I can't find a year or anything...

I'm guessing you are in 3rd year now yeah? well it will be in when you and I are doing our leaving cert i.e we will be doing project maths for LC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

But my maths teacher said it wouldn't affect me but it might affect people who are doing ty...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

M&S* wrote: »
    But my maths teacher said it wouldn't affect me but it might affect people who are doing ty...

Maybe what your maths teacher meant was that it won't affect you this year. But from 5th year and maybe TY you will be doing the new syllabus. The timetable for implementation is on www.projectmaths.ie

pathway33 wrote: »
    Maybe what your maths teacher meant was that it won't affect you this year. But from 5th year and maybe TY you will be doing the new syllabus. The timetable for implementation is on www.projectmaths.ie

yeah it will affect you...not sure if it's a good thing...the marking scheme is meant to be horrible :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

What is Project Maths, can I ask? Is it replacing the whole maths course, or is it an optional course to the current maths course?

• Advertisement

Ally7 wrote: »
    What is Project Maths, can I ask? Is it replacing the whole maths course, or is it an optional course to the current maths course?

Basically for the past year 24 schools have been testing out two strands (changes) to paper 2. So basically its a new paper two - paper 1 will remain the same (by the time paper 1 changes we will be well gone :p)

What they have done to paper 2 is strange - I have looked at some of the project maths sample papers on www.examinations.ie and in a way, I suppose it has been "dumbed down" but the marking scheme is meant to be horrible :rolleyes:

The whole Junior Cert is changing for the coming first years too! My sisters coming into first year and my parents have been told by the principal that the school will have to get in ALL new books so it means around 30 euro EXTRA to the book scheme...great :confused:

www.projectmaths.ie for more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jaygee

Is it true that they are bringing back double points for honours maths in leaving cert?

Jaygee wrote: »
    Is it true that they are bringing back double points for honours maths in leaving cert?

double points??? what d'ya mean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jaygee wrote: »

It was never double points..........ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I heard that with this Project Maths, they were going to start offering bonus points as an incentive to people sitting HL Leaving Cert maths. They have finally realised that you cannot have HL geography/ag science equal in points to HL Maths. :rolleyes:

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I heard that with this Project Maths, they were going to start offering bonus points as an incentive to people sitting HL Leaving Cert maths. They have finally realised that you cannot have HL geography/ag science equal in points to HL Maths. :rolleyes:

hopefully :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Extra points for HL maths in the LC!
    Yessss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

This is going to screw up the college entry requirements. Given the fact that it is meant to be harder than the current syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

unknown13 wrote: »
    This is going to screw up the college entry requirements. Given the fact that it is meant to be harder than the current syllabus.

I heard it was meant to be easier!
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

unknown13 wrote: »

Nah, it isn't! It's meant to be considerably easier!

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Nah, it isn't! It's meant to be considerably easier!
    The foundation paper is harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 knockraheen

Project maths is being introduced in 1st year and in 5th year in all schools in September .If you are going into 4th year you will not be affected .
    There is a big increase in the amount of Geometry,statistics and probability.

maths teacher in our school said points will be doubled :eek: he's pretty crazy so I'd take that with a pinch of salt :rolleyes: But here's hopin' :D

I find it unlikely that any college will offer extra points for Higher Level Project Maths, I can understand extra points for the current Higher Level Maths Syllabus, but not for Project Maths......

Fad wrote: »
    I find it unlikely that any college will offer extra points for Higher Level Project Maths, I can understand extra points for the current Higher Level Maths Syllabus, but not for Project Maths......
    TBH, I'd prefer to sit the current syllabus. I know it is meant to be hard and all but I love maths and it comes easy to me. I got 92% in Mocks without studying anything bar the theorums. I rather have a result that can be compared to other years so I can say, "ya, I was well above average". With this maths it may be like, "ya, you got an A1 but so did half the country". I think it may take the intelligence out of maths and may well make high results meaningless.

This is always talked about extra points for maths. The end of the day it is up to the universities to bring it in instead of the DOE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Any of us who may end up doing maths in college will be royally screwed by project maths according to my teacher. I also would prefer to do the current syllabus, though not necessarily for the same reasons as Damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 knockraheen

There is a site called project maths .com which gives an opinion on project maths .It is a big change from the previous syllabus most teachers feel that the new syllabus has too much geometry and probability

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Meh tbh. Don't think it needs to go double points because everyone(thats doing HL) has to do the same exam so its not really necessary.
    And for the aul comparing to other years, we cant compare our JC either coz of the logbooks.. I mean tbf all we need to know now are theorems, so it is being dumbed down a fair bit..

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Meh tbh. Don't think it needs to go double points because everyone(thats doing HL) has to do the same exam so its not really necessary.
    And for the aul comparing to other years, we cant compare our JC either coz of the logbooks.. I mean tbf all we need to know now are theorems, so it is being dumbed down a fair bit..
    The discussion of double points is due to the fact that maths requires a lot more work than Ag Science and that it is unfair to have them equal in points.

Well, the questions are still the same and you still need to know the same procedures so it is basically the same as previous years. You still have to know how to use the formulae and I don't know about you but my teacher advised us to learn all the formulae as well. It saves time if you aren't dependent on flicking through the log tables.

Advertisement