Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COD - Modern Warfare 2 disc

Options
  • 24-04-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Finally got Modern Warfare 2 as a gift and my daughter decides to knock over the xbox 360 console and now it says the disc is unreadable. Left it alone for a few minutes and its gradually reading more into the disc but when starting the level there is only sound and the error message appears. Is there anything I can do or is the disc trashed, there are rings around the disc where the laser has burned it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I would doubt if it the disk, more likely to be the 360 itself isn't reading it correctly. Check the game on a friends console if you can.

On a side note, I thought you could run the game directly from the HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Checking to see if it's the disc or console is easy, just check with another game.

If it is the disc and it's unreadable in both yours and a mates console, then bring it into one of the Game stores in town. They have a machine in there which should get your disc back into working order for a couple of quid. Not sure on their policy of games which are still unplayable after the treatment though, so do ask before forking over the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Tried other games on the console and they work fine, so I would say its the disc. Would the likes of gamestop be able to do a repair ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Borrow a mates disc, or rent it out and intstall it to your hard drive, It will still need your disc into verify, but its sounds like you'll get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

From what I've seen the machines in GAME don't fix it. You're better off going with the disc replacement program that Activision offer. The info should be towards the back of the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

When a 360 is tilted, even for a few milliseconds when falling, it can scratch a ring into a disc like this:

xboxdiscscratch.jpg

If this is the case your best off going with Zapps suggestion about the replacement disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Toothpaste trick. This happened to me with dead space - on the last level and the girlfriend knocks the bloody thing over - left the disc with a spiral type cut, and it wouldn't read the disk.

To fix it - spread a load of toothpaste on the underside of the disc, and rub it in. Dont rub side to side or in circles though, do it in straight lines from the hole in the middle to the edge, and back again, slowly making yer way around, with a fiar bit of pressure.

Took about half an hour and a few reapplications of toothpaste, but doing this brought mine back for long enough to finish the level off. You can see the scrath getting shallower the longer you do it - I didn't get rid of mine completely, just enough to read the disc.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Thanks for all the replies, going into town today anyway so will drop into gamestop and see what they say, the damage is like the pic but the rings are not just to the outer but all the way to the middle of disc.

I always had the 360 on the flat side and the eldest lad stood it up cause he thought it looked cool and look what happens, lesson learned....... such a cool game and I had only really started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

TheWolf wrote: »
    Toothpaste trick. This happened to me with dead space - on the last level and the girlfriend knocks the bloody thing over - left the disc with a spiral type cut, and it wouldn't read the disk.

To fix it - spread a load of toothpaste on the underside of the disc, and rub it in. Dont rub side to side or in circles though, do it in straight lines from the hole in the middle to the edge, and back again, slowly making yer way around, with a fiar bit of pressure.

Took about half an hour and a few reapplications of toothpaste, but doing this brought mine back for long enough to finish the level off. You can see the scrath getting shallower the longer you do it - I didn't get rid of mine completely, just enough to read the disc.

Hope that helps!
    The toothpaste trick really cures this deep circular scratch/cut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

With a lot of effort :D

Like I said, took me about half an hour to get it from disc completely unreadable, to getting to the menu and not being able to load the save game, to actually being able to play.

You can see the cut getting shallower the longer you keep at it - I didn't get rid of it fully, just enough to play.

If you can't be arsed, bring it into any shop that has one of those buffer machines - same effect, but quicker - pretty sure most game/music shops should have em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

And it will be minty fresh, that is impressive, id try Game first and then go for the colgate treatment....

Advertisement