Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just wondering

• 24-04-2010 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi, I'm not a serious cyclist by any stretch of the imagination but I take the bike out a couple of times a week to go to the shop or for a quick cycle or whatever.

My question is this: On the left side of the bike there is a dial thing, exactly the same as the gear dial except that it goes from 1-3 instead of 1-8 like the gears. What does this dial do? I can't figure it out so I just leave it at number 2 all the time.

So I just want to know what this dial does and when should I adjust it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's for the gears too - it moves the chain between the front chainrings.

Also, read up on cross-chaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

it is for moving the chain up and down on the front> if you look down at your right hand peddle you should have 3 gears. If you 'dial' is set at 2 the chain should be in the middle of these 3. To go harder/ faster on a flat road/downhill move the chain up to the big ring (the gear on the outside) to help you uphills across fields etc move the chain to the very inside (smallest gear) to help you.
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

bcmf wrote: »
    it is for moving the chain up and down on the front> if you look down at your right hand peddle you should have 3 gears. If you 'dial' is set at 2 the chain should be in the middle of these 3. To go harder/ faster on a flat road/downhill move the chain up to the big ring (the gear on the outside) to help you uphills across fields etc move the chain to the very inside (smallest gear) to help you.
    HTH

Grand thanks. So basicly just use it in the same way as I use the gears? When I'm going quickly move it into the highest setting and when going slower move it into the lowest setting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Messi 10 wrote: »
    Grand thanks. So basicly just use it in the same way as I use the gears? When I'm going quickly move it into the highest setting and when going slower move it into the lowest setting?

leave it in no 2, the chances are you will never need number 3 or 1 from what you have said about yourself.

Advertisement