Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From G.I "Fatso" to G.I "Fitso"

Options
  • 24-04-2010 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.......hopefully this will work for me!

Stats:

Male
    Age - 29
    Height - 5Ft 7
    Weight - 92.5kg...:(
    Waist - 44inches...(measured from naval...nasty lovehandles!!)

Backstory:

I have led a fairly active lifestyle for as long as I can remember. In my early years and teens, I used to play football, Gaelic and hurley and pretty much ate whatever I wanted.

I joined the Defence Forces straight after the LC when I was 18. I was already fairly fit but the army made me fitter. I enjoyed the day to day fitness training, which usually consisted of a 3-5 mile leisurely run and plenty of push ups, sit ups, etc. This was aimed at getting the whole Platoon to a certain base level of fitness.

During recruit training, the fitter we got the harder the physical training (PT) got. The 3-5 mile leisurely runs became 4-5 mile speed runs. Push ups, squats, sit ups, planks, stress posistions etc all seemed to be on an hourly basis, not just for PT. It was normal to do between 300-500 push ups staggered throughout the 19 hour days, this was extra to whatever PT was done throuought the day.

Weight was then introduced, in the form of loaded backpacks full of combat gear. We would do long, cold hillwalks around the Wicklow Mountains, carrying all the kit we needed to "fight" and survive for up to a week.This was very physically demanding.

Lack of sleep, insufficient food, 22 hour days, stress, constant physical activity, all kept the lovehandles at bay:D. At the weekends Id catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and sometimes wouldnt recognise myself, I was very toned. I was no Brad Pitt but I had muscle tone in places I never seen before.

After Recruit Training I became part an Infantry Battalion. The training was a bit more relaxed on a day to day basis. It usually consisted of long slow runs or short fast runs, and the usual LME.

...I have been going down hill from there!!:(:(

Present Day

For the last 3 years I have worked in an office environment (still in the DF), and pretty much gained a stone for each year. My toned body has become a bag of fat with legs. I still regularly run 3-5 miles. I regularly cycle 12 miles into work and back again. In fact last Monday I cycled into work, then ran the 12 miles home...it was slow and painful.

My Diet is attrocious, lets leave it at that! I am a fast food connoisseur, a snack monster and eat out of boredom kind of guy. I am not happy, so I comfort eat.

I used to think clean eating meant chewing soap:)

From here on in I will be taking my "food consumption" seriously..I hate the word "DIET".

My goals:
    • Eat healthy
    • Loose at least 2 stone
    • Tone up
    • Ultimately be happy
    I will be posting my food intake and exercise training daily. I will be weighting and measuring on a weekly basis.

I hope this is the start of G.I "Fitso".

Oh and sorry for the long post, I think it did me good though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Day 1:

Breakfast: 1 hard boiled egg, 2 slices of McCambridges brown bread (no butter), cup of Earl Grey Tea, no milk or sugar. Small glass of fresh orange juice.

Training: 4 mile run in 49 mins.
    50 star jumps
    30 press ups
    30 sit ups
    30 back extensions
    30 tricep dips
    30 burpees :(... I hate burpees!!!

2 mile walk with the Mrs after dinner.

Lunch:

Tuna salad, inc. lettuce, onion, tomato, red/green peppers (yuk) and low fat mayo (1 dessert spoon).
    1 pint of water

Dinner:

Handful of pasta, (I should really weight it), tomatoes, diced 1/4 red onion, 3 diced mushrooms, generic tomato based pasta sauce.
    1 pint of water.

Snack 21.00hrs:

1 slice McCambridges brown bread with a tea spoon of cruncy peanut butter, Earl Grey Tea - nude.

Not bad so far.........I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Best of luck OP.This sounds like it could be an interesting log,I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Thanks Remmy,

Hopefully it works, I intend on beasting myself. Il take it slow at the start and build myself up.

Im even considering posting some before and hopefully completely different after pics........NSFW, ha.:)

Day 2

Breakfast - 2 eggs scramblled no salt
    1 slice of McCambridges brown bread, no butter
    pint of water.

Lunch - Cully & Sully chicken and veg soup
    salad, inc. lettuce, 3 diced tomatoes, 2 slices of ham, red onion, small bit of cheese.
    1 Litre water

Dinner - Handfull of pasta, 3 diced mushrooms, 3 diced tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, tomato based pasta sauce, 1 Litre water

Training:
    12 mile cycle into work

3 mile run at lunch
    20 squats
    40 press ups
    20 sit ups
    20 tricep dips
    40 star jumps
    4 x 30 second planks

12 mile cycle home

Phew....!!

Day 3

Breakfast - Microwave porridge made with super milk, no sugar...yuk!!
    Small carton of Squeeze apple juice.

Lunch - 4 slices brown soda bread, 2 slices of ham, smear of mustard
    1 tomato, 1 litre of water, more apple juice.

Dinner - Steamed fillet salmon, 3 heads steamed brocolli, brown rice.
    1 pint of water.

Snacks - 2 x apples, 2 tuc biscuits with crunchy peanut butter.

Training

12 mile cycle to work

2 mile jog with some stretching

4 x 50m sprints

12 mile cycle home........jelly legs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Well done on the effort so far , but dont do too much to start off, remember you need days off maybe every 2nd day to start with until your body gets used to regular exercise again. The last thing you need would be an injury.

flan59 wrote: »
    Well done on the effort so far , but dont do too much to start off, remember you need days off maybe every 2nd day to start with until your body gets used to regular exercise again. The last thing you need would be an injury.

Thanks Flan59,

Im having a rest day tomorrow...yaaaay!!:D My plan for a regular week is going to go something like this:

Monday & Wednesday: Gym for light weights before work, run at lunch with some LME.

Tuesday & Thursday: cycle to and from work, at lunch do some stretches.

Friday: run at lunch with some LME.

Saturday: maybe a small light weights session or 4 mile run.

Sunday: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz rest!!

This will more than likely not go according to plan.

Day 4 - Thursday 29 Apr 10

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs, no salt or butter, 1 slice soda bread. 1 glass apple juice.

Lunch:

Leek & Potato soup, 2 slices soda bread, 1 slice cheese, 1 slice ham and some lettuce.

Dinner:

Tuna pasta salad.

Training:

Tired today....normal cycle to and from work, total 24 miles.

Day 5 - Friday 30 Apr 10

Breakfast:
    Microwave porridge and a small carton of apple juice

Lunch:
    Skinless steamed turkey breast
    1 sachet of wholegrain Uncle Bens rice
    1 Pint of water

Dinner:
    1 stir fried chicken breast, 1 pepper, 1/2 red onion, 2 sliced mushrooms, soy sauce
    1 pint of water.

Training:

4 mile run at lunch
    20 sit ups
    20 push ups
    20 lunges
    20 back extensions

Day 6 - Saturday 01 May 10

Breakfast:
    Sneeky grill, 2 rashers, 1 tomato, 3 mushrooms, 2 soda breads toasted, 1 poached egg and a coffee.

Lunch:
    small tuna pasta salad.

Dinner:
    1 large Baked potato, 2 small steamed chicken fillets, broccolli, carrotts and parsnips, small bit of butter.
    1 pint of water.

Training:
    3 mile run
    30 press ups
    10 sit ups
    30 tricep dips

• Advertisement

Today is my first weight day,

92.9Kg! :eek:

Thats heavier than last week!!

Holy jumpin Jesus.

That sucks balls bigtime!!!...............someone hand me a cheeseburger!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I wouldn't worry about the weight gain - it happens.

I presume with a 44 inch waist your looking to drop a few inches...

If I can give you one tip for fast and noticeable fat loss ( maybe not weight loss ) ... cut down carbs - particularly in the eves.

I am on week 4 of low carbing and while I haven't lost much on the scales, I have never had as many folk comment on my weight loss, even MrsAMerc says there is less of me to grab onto ( I think she likes it ;) )

your doing great by the way - keep it up.

Advertisement