Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the use of the word Bank in a companies

Options
  • 24-04-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

name a reserver word in Ireland?

And if not and an entity is advertising themselves as a bank would they need to be registerd with Financial Services Regulator or Central Bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amen wrote: »
    Do you mean could I register "The Bank Restaurant" - I probably could. The CRO might have qualms about "First Dublin Bank", but I imagine its legal. "Irish State Bank" would be a non-no as it would imply some connection with officialdom.
    And if not and an entity is advertising themselves as a bank would they need to be registerd with Financial Services Regulator or Central Bank?
    Most likely. Not only registered, but licenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

amen wrote: »

From the CRO web site.
    Names containing certain words cannot be used unless approved by relevant bodies. For example, the words "bank", "banker", "banking", "banc", may only be used with the permission of the Central Bank of Ireland. This also applies to names such as "hollybank", "sweetbank", "canal bank", "bancorp", etc. and the surname "Banks" not withstanding the fact that the company may not intend to carry on banking business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There is a pub/restaurant in Limerick called The Bank. I think the building used to be a bank way back when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

thanks for all the help. I will contact the Financial Services Regulator (FSR).

The business in questions is providing financing, is using the word bank, is not listed on FSR website, doesn't appear as a trading name in the CRO and has no regulated by message.

Advertisement