Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater - DIY?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Do I need to get an electrician to install a new immersion element and timer switch. I am a moderately competent DIYer but do not want to take any excessive risks. However my most recent experience with an electrical contractor was bad and I don't want a repeat - unless on the grounds of safety.
    What tools do I need to do the job myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Do I need to get an electrician to install a new immersion element and timer switch. I am a moderately competent DIYer but do not want to take any excessive risks. However my most recent experience with an electrical contractor was bad and I don't want a repeat - unless on the grounds of safety.
    What tools do I need to do the job myself?

Hi,

Immersion spanner or large stilson to remove the immersion heating element. Electrical screwdrivers, snips, crimp set, either a multimeter and/or a megger.
    Need megger to verify the Heating element, timer to be installed pre the bath/sink selector switch.
    Easy enough if you know how. Make sure to isolate the power before you carry out any work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

The last time I had to get a new element I just went to the shop, got all the stuff and got my pet monkey to do it while i sat down with a cup of tae and spammed boards. works away grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hector,unless you are really sure you can do it ,its possibly best to let an expert have a go.You can run into trouble getting existing element out and i have had to replace complete cylinders due to forcing of stuck elements.Again immersion spanner,boss white,and a few hand tools will do job

Advertisement