Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my cat smells

Options
  • 24-04-2010 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

she appears to have rolled in something disgusting about 2 days ago *grimace* we were hoping she'd just ya know, have a wash and get rid of the stink (there was nothing on the fur, just an awful smell) but the smell is still there and she's been trying to cuddle up so I took pity on her and put a facecloth under the hot tap, wrung it out and rubbed down the fur where her collar normally is (had to take it off too, it stinks) but it hasn't helped at all and the poor pus still reeks.

Any ideas?

(She's a real lazy washer, was one of 14 kitties and I don't think mammy cat had time to teach all those little kitties to wash properly!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

One of 14 kittens! :eek:

You can get dry cat shampoo, it's like a powder and you rub it into their coat and that's all. That should work. And is easier than washing them :) You should be able to find it in most pet shops. Or at least find stuff for dogs which would probably be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

morganafay wrote: »
    One of 14 kittens! :eek:

You can get dry cat shampoo, it's like a powder and you rub it into their coat and that's all. That should work. And is easier than washing them :) You should be able to find it in most pet shops. Or at least find stuff for dogs which would probably be the same.

Thanks a million, thats great to know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you got any baby wipes?
    Or baby shampoo?
    I have on occasion had to wash a cat, get a basin of warm water with a little baby shampoo added(about teaspoon full, depends how bad cat smells), dip facecloth and wring out(not too much, needs to be quiet wet) and rub down kitty. So long as its not too wet they don't mind too much.
    Reason for baby shampoo is if its safe for baby it should be ok diluted for cat.
    Unscented babywipes do the job too, but I usually wipe over after with damp cloth just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's a good idea about just dipping them in the bath. Just wanted to say that when I've had to bath cats I've always used puppy shampoo just because I had it around and it never had any bad effects. :)

It's possibly to bath any cat really, just do it quickly and maybe hold them by the scruff of the neck to do it. I even had to bath my cranky old cat, aka the evilest cat ever (but I love her) and didn't even get scratched amazingly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've got cat that gets angry when scared (alot of things scare him) I have washed him a number of times, I either go bare armed and hope he doesn't claw at me or wear gardening gloves. Either way after a short while he just cowards in the bath tub and hopes it'll be over quick. (I also use cat shampoo)

• Advertisement
Advertisement