Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot- General Opinion? Hot or Not??

• 24-04-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Originally being from France, Peugeot is probably the most popular cars there (obv). In France, they are seen as cosmetically sound, competitive and well priced. Basically most French people would class them as good looking cars for just about everyone.

However after coming to Ireland I was rather shocked to hear how they are not as well received here, and generally being classified as ''girl cars'' and unreliable.

Especially the 107 and 206 models.

Having owned a 107 for a year, I bought it for its funky styling and cheap to run aspects. However most people critisized the car for looking ''too feminine'' and cheap.

I dont see this at all. What are you guys opinions about Peugeots? And would you ever consider one over another strong brand like VW? (if the value wasnt an issue).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Well for what its worth and based on experience the French produce good looking unreliable cars and so each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

First thing is the resale value of Peugeots are poor in Ireland compared to VW, Toyota and Ford. Some of the earlier Peugeots electrics were unreliable but not sure what they are like now.

I have a 2000 306 GTI-6 and I love the car. It has excellent handling and the chassis is considered one of the best ever to be used in a hot hatch. The electrics have acted up on it a few times but in general its fine.

Peugeot were always into hot hatches like the 205 GTI, 106 GTI and the 306 GTI-6 was the last of the good ones Peugeot made. Now they are gone off the radar altogether.

Their diesel engines are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The last good reliable Peugeot was the 405.

The 504 and 505's were unkillable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 seamy1

I have to speak up for my mechanic by saying......Pug's are a heap of crap.
    They might be OK for running down tot he shop to pick up your lipstick, but apart from that...useless. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

2011-peugeot-rcz3.jpg

HOT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

LOL

I cant wait to see one of those on the roads!! ^^

say how did you attach the picture??

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

mp3kid wrote: »
    2011-peugeot-rcz3.jpg

Very hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mp3kid wrote: »
    2011-peugeot-rcz3.jpg

peugeot%20408.jpg

NOT :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Very hot

if it was rwd i would soooo buy one, but its not....... sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Having owned a 107 for a year, I bought it for its funky styling and cheap to run aspects. However most people critisized the car for looking ''too feminine'' and cheap.

Well I just bought an Aygo... so I hope its not TOO feminine :D, I bought it for the same reasons as you.

Peugeot will always be king of the hot hatches thanks to the 205 GTi and the GTi-6 (and 106 GTi), dont have any experience with the reliability, but the hot hatch thing is the reputation I care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I Have always found the Peugeots I've owned Very realible....:)
    I'm running a 96 406 td with 214,000mls and a 04 407 88,000 mls atm
    with no problems only the usual servicing costs...:cool:

Every make and model have there own problems....:rolleyes:
    and anyone can land a lemon when it comes to buying a car...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

I ran a '97 406TD for a year and it was a good car, perfectly adequate. Not exactly a fun car to drive and lets face it, nobody aspires to drive an adequate car! Engine and gearbox felt very strong but electrics weren't its strong suit. I had to replace a headlight bulb at least every 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well I have a 2001 206 GLX with low mileage. Car is reliable, great to drive, and although I face a large repair bill, I've been lucky.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

high horse wrote: »
    nobody aspires to drive an adequate car!

Most people in this country do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

unkel wrote: »
    Most people in this country do!

LOL, you're probably right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Not. Some memorable stuff, but too quirky, which I suppose is a product of being French. 2o5 GTI, despite what the fanbois say doesn't seem to make it into the top 5 hot hatches. Greatest achievement is probably diesel engines, but like their cars are not in demand outside of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

:p
    high horse wrote: »
    lets face it, nobody aspires to drive an adequate car!

One word : Toyota :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

peasant wrote: »
    peugeot%20408.jpg

NOT :D

thats warped :S 407 is a lovely car!
    Saab Ed wrote: »

One word : Toyota

two words :) mass recall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Always thought my prev car (206 1.4 Lx) was cool. Nippy car but lacks a bit on the motorway (still able to keep up though)

Never had any problems with the electrics, running of the car etc.

And had the pre-plexed version before that in 1.1 litre, also no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

For what it's worth I really liked my 406 when I had one (much more so than the sh1t-box Passat I owned after).

I think James May went on a bit Peugeot bashing bender after they closed down their factory in Royton?

I not sure how much of an influence top-queer has though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

guess general opinion its hot :D

Advertisement