Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overzealous shop assistants

Options
  • 24-04-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Went into a city centre chemist today to browse and maybe see what I was looking for, but very quickly two separate sales assistants within about 15-20 seconds of each other asked if they could help me. Another said 'well hows it going' or something to that affect. I simply wanted to browse and all the attention,which felt very false, in a relatively small store was a major turn off. I didn't even check whether what I wanted was in store, I simply left. I don't like overzealous shop assistants, especially in smaller stores. Frequently all I want to do is look and if I want help I'll ask for it in my own time.

Anyone relate?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I can relate to that.

But what also can relate to is your boss breathing down your neck for not approaching customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think you are overreacting.

In this one case I do think it is a little odd the second person didn't notice you had already been asked if it really was 15-20 seconds after the first approach but otherwise I think it is fairly normal practice.

The amount of people who complain they were in a store for 5 whole minutes and weren't asked do they need help is quite staggering by the same token - sometimes they can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

You can shop on the internet and no one will bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did You look like a shop lifter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Over reacting.

You should be happy you walked into a store that values customer service.

Fair enough you were asked twice within a short period but obviously the second girl didn't realise this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

It just felt very ott,and the 3rd one acting as though I was his 'pal' even though I don't know him....sensitive or not it felt very heavy.....

Freiheit wrote: »
    Ithe 3rd one acting as though I was his 'pal' even though I don't know him....

That friendly bastard...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

Working as a part time manager in retail its hard to strike the balance on this, You need to keep the idea of approaching customers to the forefront but on occassions this may happen.

If that was the worst complaint about my team I would be happy.

Maybe you looked like a mystery shopper? or they were due a mystery shopper hence why they were so "enthusiastic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

God, I hate that too.
    When I want to talk to a shop assistant I'll ask them. Otherwise, fu*k off and let me look at what I want to look at.
    It usually drives me out and into the next shop.

I worked in retail myself for a few years and was always wary of intruding upon customers...tried to be available but not encroaching...thats just how I feel...smaller outlets tend to be like that...

• Advertisement

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    God, I hate that too.
    When I want to talk to a shop assistant I'll ask them. Otherwise, fu*k off and let me look at what I want to look at.

Have you never heard the alternative side of the argument though?
    Some people who complain they were browsing for a number of minutes and a member of staff never once asked if they needed help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I hate this sort of crap, especially in small clothes shops. If they ask anything more than if i'm alright I won't be back. Some strike up a conversation and start asking you what your looking for, would be better off left to just browse in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    God, I hate that too.

So when you decide you would like some assistance, and turn around to see all the sales staff occupied with other customers and are left waiting, will you then get pissed off and storm out or look to bitch to a manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are some strange people around, running away when a shop assistant tries to assist them.

When you're a child and your parents tell you not to talk to strangers, they should explain that you don't have to do this for the rest of your life.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My previous employer would reprimand us fairly harshly if a customer hadn't been approached within 30 seconds of entering the store. I hated doing it, the customers hated me doing it, and more often than not, even if they do have a genuine enquiry they're so startled when you greet them that they'll just say cheers, put down whatever they were looking at, and walk out.

30 seconds, from the moment they come through the door.

EDIT:

But then again, thinking about it, I've had the head eaten off me a few times by customers for not being available to help them on the shop floor... even though I was serving a queue at the till? Ah, retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Well done. These guys are making €10 an hour tops, they make themselves busy by asking a customer if they need help and you leave due to this fact. If you had gone into the same store and received no attention you'd probably complain about that too. /me claps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I know it can be irritating to be approached when you don't want any help but all it takes is a smile and a polite 'I'm just browsing, thank you' to be left in peace. It's rare to be asked twice, but repeating the smile and those 5 words is not going to kill anyone. Think of it as Good Karma ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Jeez those guys were just doing their job. There's been a hell of a lot more times I had to go searching for a shop assistant, who when I found one, didn't give a fcuk tbh, especially in the bad old Celtic tiger days. Example, when I was buying a car and shelling out upwards of twenty grand , a lot of salespeople would act like they were doing me the favour in taking the money off me. It was hard to get one to answer questions about the car, even harder to get a test drive and as for looking for a discount, from the look on their faces, you'd swear I just asked to go out with their girlfriend!

In other countries, shop assistants see it as part of their job to be proactive in approaching customers like in the states which I actually find pretty helpful. If the OP finds that he/she is feeling threatened by people who are only doing their job, then maybe the OP is the one with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters, no need to make personal assumptions or comments about the OP. It's not particularly nice.

I both agree and disagree with the OP. In some shops, the assistants can be too eager - which is very offputting, especially to us Irish. But, on the whole, I would prefer that they do approach me than not approach me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I was working in retail for years. One of the main reasons we were told to approach the customer was so that the customer would be aware that we have seen them and if they tried anything sneaky we would notice. Everytime i go into a shop and the workers are all over me, i tend to feel like they are watching me and nearly always end up leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I worked in retail for many years and in most cases wages are dire even at management level so in a lot of cases staff are incentivized for selling certain products it's a good way to bump up the wage packet at the end of the week especially in electrical retail where things like extended warranties and finance are pure profit for the retailer - commission is king in retail and for every time you walked in to a store to buy something and ended up buying something else after speaking to someone you can be guaranteed the salesperson got a little bit extra! Nothing wrong with that. Retail stores are closing down left right and centre and retail was always the last hope for a lot of jobless people (including myself back in the bad old days of the early 90's) and I have a lot to thank it for so give the guys a break they're just trying to supplement what is probably a terrible wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Corega wrote: »
    Well done. These guys are making €10 an hour tops, they make themselves busy by asking a customer if they need help and you leave due to this fact. If you had gone into the same store and received no attention you'd probably complain about that too. /me claps

The worst offenders are owners/managers in small shops and in there case they rarely just ask if ye want help, they ask stuff like what your looking for and show ye whatever new **** they just got in. I usually don't know exactly what I want when i'm buying clothes, if I see something i'll check sizes and if they don't have it then i'll ask someone. Some of these people (especially in small shops) see themselves as salesmen, all there really doing is guaranteeing ye won't be back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Went into a city centre chemist today to browse and maybe see what I was looking for, but very quickly two separate sales assistants within about 15-20 seconds of each other asked if they could help me. Another said 'well hows it going' or something to that affect. I simply wanted to browse and all the attention,which felt very false, in a relatively small store was a major turn off. I didn't even check whether what I wanted was in store, I simply left. I don't like overzealous shop assistants, especially in smaller stores. Frequently all I want to do is look and if I want help I'll ask for it in my own time.

Anyone relate?.

Yes and No, there is only one thing i hate worse than the above and that is wandering around the sales floor in a large store, wanting to find someone to ask a question and not a soul to be seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Anyone relate?.

In fairness you were browsing in a chemist. It's not like popping into H&M to waste some time.
    The majority of people go into chemists for medicinal purposes/prescriptions. The remainder are usually looking for something quite specific and there appeared to be staff on hand to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

another point of view... specifically in chemists...
    Might someone go in who might be slightly reluctant/shy to approach staff in relation with what ever they have, and by staff approaching them they will get what they want easier.

also... have you gone abroad where you cant walk down the street without people jumping out from shops at you telling you to come in ? i think we get off lightly :)

Well chemists are more than little corner shops nowdays, more than purely medical stores, take Boots for example. Anyway I can only say how I felt and it felt military like and false to me......I like to firstly browse......and if I need assistance I'll look for it.

I tend to avoid smaller retail outlets in general for the same reason,too much individual attention when what I really usually want to do is browse and during browsing I might see something I want......

Everyone has their own style and that's mine......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate when people do this! It puts me right off buying anything in a shop when sales assistants come over to you the second you come into a shop.

IMO they should make themselves available, be on the floor for questions and stuff but leave me alone when I'm browsing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chriscross1

totally agree, so annoying, can i help u,:mad: no just go away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I dont like sales assistants coming over to me either but I don't let it bother me. If I had to tell 5 people in a minute that I was ok and didn't need any help I wouldn't care and I certainly wouldn't leave the shop because the staff are trying to be helpful as misguided as I think they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

claire's is terrible for this IMO. Anytime im dragged in there by the oh, I dont think its been longer than a minute or two before the staff are over. Sometimes you just want to browse for a minute or two FFS!

Advertisement