Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religous Education

Options
  • 24-04-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey guys :)
    Anyone else here doing religion? thought id start a thread!!

any predictions/thoughts on the exam?!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Winnel

Hi I have to pick my options for fifth year really soon and I was wondering what you thought of religion.? Is it easy to get An a in? Is it interesting ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

If you get a good paper on the day and you know your stuff, an 'A' is do-able. However, the course is long and broad, and there is a severe lack of choice on the paper on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

yeh its quite difficult...most people think its just God and ''stuff'' but its so so much more....
    The syllabus is,
    • The search for meaning and values
    • Moral decision making
    • Christianity: Origins and contemporary expressions
    • Religion and Gender
    • Issues of justice and peace
    • World religions
    • Worship, Prayer and Ritual
    • Religion: The irish experience
    • Religion and science
    • The bible: literature and sacred text

Quite a large course...(you dont have to study everything)

Philosophy is quite difficult...thats the bit i find the hardest...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Winnel wrote: »
    Hi I have to pick my options for fifth year really soon and I was wondering what you thought of religion.? Is it easy to get An a in? Is it interesting ? Thanks

If you're looking for an easy A, I'd suggest something else unless you have a serious interest in it........

Even with an interest I did not do well >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

happy_feet wrote: »
    yeh its quite difficult...most people think its just God and ''stuff'' but its so so much more....

Quite a large course...(you dont have to study everything)

Philosophy is quite difficult...thats the bit i find the hardest...

I took it up a few months ago (I'm in 6th year) and it IS as easy as "God and stuff". Teacher gave me some sample papers to do, and they were eeaassyy (I thought so) and I'm an atheist, so it wasn't something that I'm regularly indoctrinated with.

Questions in the sample paper I was given included questions on philosophers and their ideas (Aristotle on form and matter) and Darwin's theory's conflict with religion.

TBH I'm surprised, the questions I've been seeing are easy considering people told me taking it up now was a mad man's game and that I would fail...
    I was expecting things like listing Aquinas' proofs, or explaining different arguments (ie. from design or beauty) but it wasn't that in depth.

R.E Syllabus=easier than physics syllabus

I took it up a few months ago (I'm in 6th year) and it IS as easy as "God and stuff". Teacher gave me some sample papers to do, and they were eeaassyy (I thought so) and I'm an atheist, so it wasn't something that I'm regularly indoctrinated with.

Questions in the sample paper I was given included questions on philosophers and their ideas (Aristotle on form and matter) and Darwin's theory's conflict with religion.

TBH I'm surprised, the questions I've been seeing are easy considering people told me taking it up now was a mad man's game and that I would fail...
    I was expecting things like listing Aquinas' proofs, or explaining different arguments (ie. from design or beauty) but it wasn't that in depth.

Well good for you but its in no way an easy course! Any teacher will tell you that.
    And yeah it is a bit of god and stuff, but what bout all the world religons? Morality?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

well done,what grade did you get?

I love the smell of bull**** in the evening.

) and I'm an atheist, so it wasn't something that I'm regularly indoctrinated with.

what does you being athiest have to do with anything? its not like the course is preaching about christianity!

christianity is one section yes, but its much more than that. being athiest or not makes absolutely no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Bringing up stuff like Aquinas' proofs are the kinda stuff that'd get you an A.

There's now way you'll get a high grade by sticking to the simple stuff.

Science and Religion isnt coming up on your paper last year afaik. After last year, that section with philosophy is not reliable!

Have you done the project yet?

• Advertisement

duno if your talking to me but yeh ive done mine :) did the religion and gender one.

what one did you's do?

Advertisement