Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I run therefore I am

• 24-04-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Not an original title but I like it - non specific but kind of sums up what running meant to me last year. This year it's been a case I drink, smoke and eat takeaways therefore I am. In fairness I have just completed my final exams for my degree so that has been the main priority. Exams were last week, went well and I'm confident I passed so now I'm all about getting back into running. I've kept the thread title non specific because i'm not sure about goals. I just want to get running regularly again and then start assessing goals. I'm 13 st 4 now (12 st 2 when I did the marathon) so I have a bit of weight to lose. I'd also like to do some more core and watch that fuppin diet (my biggest downfall). I'm going to log everything here. It's 6 months to DCM to the day tomorrow so that might be the goal, pending holding up of IT bands which still niggle but I'm sure with clever training I can manage them aswell.

I fancy the 10k in kilmore in September aswell so that may be a goal. There have been several false dawns but this really is a new beginning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back :)

Congrats on finishing your finals, must be such a weight off your shoulders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with the log and goals.

Whats the course like in Kilmore ?
    I am looking for a flat, fast 10k in Sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Welcome back!!! Aww you didn't go back on the smokes did you???

You know, there was a load of us in a pub after the GIR last weekend and we were talking about the man who used to be known as xabi alonso backwards but spelt wrong and we were thinking 'where has he gone'? great to see your back and (in a moment of weakness given my alcohol consumption tonight) I may even try the Marathon this year too.

(BTW the extra stone will drop off. TBF even with an extra stone you are still a skinny foooker!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Good to see you back OI. The aul final exams.........I did the exact same as yourself....ate my way through them. Well done on the exams. See you around. Good title by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great to have you back OI! Take it relatively easy for a while and build your base back up, you'll be flying again in no time! You gonna be around to support for the half next week? I need someone to shout at me to make sure I get up Sinnotstown Lane in one piece ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome back OI, missed you round here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Thanks everybody...... Again!! I've had more comebacks than rocky. @ Sosa, from what I can remeber, the first mile is downhill, then there is a couple of miles of flat, a mile of drag, then one serious but short hill to deal with and a relatively flat finish, I'd say it's reasonably fast bur maybe ask someone more experienced. Kilmore AC have a website if you google them.

@ xebec, yes i'll be out alright, but probably on Whiterock Hill to congratulate you on your successful ascent of sinnottstown lane.

Anyway 5.13 miles today, IT's were niggly but ok, warm day but really nice, good for the farmers tan. The effort was solid but I was slow, has to be expected 50:45 mins. Anyway, first one down, onwards and upwards ....... 5.14

now straight to work on IT's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Really nice to see ya back buddy!

Best of luck with the training and make sure to keep that IT band in check.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Really nice to see ya back buddy!

Best of luck with the training and make sure to keep that IT band in check.

Thanks UL, had a look for your log yesterday and couldn't find it. Have you got a new title

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you back OI, get training now. :D
    OI wrote: »
    Thanks UL, had a look for your log yesterday and couldn't find it. Have you got a new title

It'll have dropped off since it's so long since the lazy bugger posted in it, you'll have to go through the 'find all threads by this poster' link in his profile to find it.

• Advertisement

Beautiful evening for a run. Right IT is grand but left one started niggling at the start of the run but eased off after a couple of miles but when I got home it was killing me. Eased off after a bit of icing, stretching and foam rolling. Anyway, I think it's probably best to run every second day from now on. Some core in between. Nice and easy run but felt tough enough at the same time 57:38 mins 5.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It's still there just not been updated in a while. Got struck with achilles tendonosis 3 months ago so that put a halt to the running. Since iv been cycling, aqua joggig and doing weights to keep the fitness and sanity alive. Ill be back logging again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good to see you back OI. Have you got a bicycle you can borrow? Always sorts me out with the niggles. Fags need to go. Save them for after the race, when it's almost too difficult to breathe. :)

Cheers kc, bang on about the smokes, absolute mugs game. I actually bought a good bike last year so I hope to get that out again aswell soon.

Really sorry to hear that ul, that's an absolute baxtard, hope you make a full recovery soon.

Went out for 3.3 today, 29:26, good to know I can break 9 mins even at this stage, although it's a short run. Pretty much an all out training effort though. Not the same issues with IT bands at all today I'm happy to report. And the cherry on the cake - nippers are a little sore again............ 3.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Good to see you back OI, I haven't been on here in a while, bloody injury makes logging on here too hard. :mad:
    Best of luck with it all, slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. ;)

Sub430 wrote: »
    Good to see you back OI, I haven't been on here in a while, bloody injury makes logging on here too hard. :mad:
    Best of luck with it all, slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. ;)

Thanks sub430, I didn't realise you were injured. Is it serious? I know it's a nightmare when you are injured. It's absolutely fantastic to be involved with a/r/t but when you are not running you don't feel right about logging in and seeing everybody else doing so well is great but heartbreaking at the same time. Hope it sorts itself out for you soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Thanks sub430, I didn't realise you were injured. Is it serious? I know it's a nightmare when you are injured. It's absolutely fantastic to be involved with a/r/t but when you are not running you don't feel right about logging in and seeing everybody else doing so well is great but heartbreaking at the same time. Hope it sorts itself out for you soon.

Hopefully not, the auld ITB, I think I got it from this forum :eek::)
    Ordered to stay off it for another couple of weeks and see how it is then.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Hopefully not, the auld ITB, I think I got it from this forum :eek::)
    Ordered to stay off it for another couple of weeks and see how it is then.

The auld ITB - ATCH!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Hooray! You're back! (this is goofygirl by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

OI, you're back! How did I miss your log over the last few days. Welcome back to the madness, hope the ITB holds up ok.

• Advertisement

thanks very much GG and RachelJev, good to be back, I've just signed up for the Dublin 10k on the 25th July so thats the immediate goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great to see you back OI, good luck with the 10k.

aero2k wrote: »
    Great to see you back OI, good luck with the 10k.

Thanks very much aero2k. Bloody hell, thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

Just went out for a run. Pushing it a bit at this stage with 4 runs in a row in my first proper week back. Anyway no problems today, nice run but tough enough, a good workout. 48:48 for ....... 5.12

Coming back to work then, I broke a tooth chewing on gum - not happy, will have to build a bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm just back the last few weeks myself, it can be quite frustrating but its great to see you back, you and I have alot of work to do to catch up with menoscemo :D but we'll get him

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm just back the last few weeks myself, it can be quite frustrating but its great to see you back, you and I have alot of work to do to catch up with menoscemo :D but we'll get him

Ha ha ha, too right woddle, I was trying to remain quiet on that secret goal. Of course, now this will spur him on to train even harder

Woddle wrote: »

Let the rivalries begin! I for one shall be lagging several minutes behind, with the popcorn. :pac:

Let the rivalries begin! I for one shall be lagging several minutes behind, with the popcorn. :pac:

All friendly of course rk, and if I recall correctly, you absolutely whooped my ass last time out ;)

you absolutely whooped my ass last time out ;)
    If your ITB behaves itself, you'd leave me in your dust - I'm not exactly Little Miss Speedy! :pac:

If your ITB behaves itself, you'd leave me in your dust - I'm not exactly Little Miss Speedy! :pac:

(heh heh heh, the ITB excuse worked for me again)
    /soliloquay

• Advertisement

Nicked out in the rain there after work. Left IT a little niggly but a thoroughly enjoyable run all the same. IT's a little hot now, that's a new one.

Since I've started running again, my running style now incorporates a gimpy arm, don't know where the hell that came from but I'm conscious of it. Funny enough. 47:30 mins for 5.13

Also bought a new pair of runners, Brooks gts 10s

Advertisement