Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Jones Says...

• 24-04-2010 9:56pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

1271929062-vlcsnap-2010-04-22-submit.png

1271929128-vlcsnap-2010-04-22-to-fear.png

These are screenshots taken from Alex Jones' latest Police State 4 - The Road To Fema

They are flashed all through the film.

One example here @ 8.05/8.06

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Interesting. Very odd.

I'm pretty sure that, that type of subliminal messaging is completely ineffective.

I'll be back in a while and see can I find where I read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

never trusted alex jones tbh same with jesse ventura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Users should be aware that Millionaire conspiracy hack Alex Jones sells cookies information collected on his site to marketing companies and spammers before clicking through to any of his sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

pretty sure what yekahs says is right, this kind of subliminal persuasion isn't very effective. it's not even subliminal - i.e. you are aware something is flashing before your eyes, and once you've seen it a few times you can tell what it is (eg. in fight club). in this context i'm sure jones would say he's editorialising - the submit to fear message is not his obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Here's a recent paper discussing the results of subtle subliminal cues on voter tendancies and political affiliations.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/50/19757
    Subliminal exposure to national flags affects political thought and behavior
    Ran R. Hassin, Melissa J. Ferguson, Daniella Shidlovski, and Tamar Gross

Abstract

Political thought and behavior play an important role in our lives, from ethnic tensions in Europe, to the war in Iraq and the Middle Eastern conflict, to parliamentary and presidential elections. However, little is known about how the individual's political attitudes and decisions are shaped by subtle national cues that are so prevalent in our environment. We report a series of experiments that show that subliminal exposure to one's national flag influences political attitudes, intentions, and decisions, both in laboratory settings and in “real-life” behavior. Furthermore, this manipulation consistently narrowed the gap between those who score high vs. low on a scale of identification with Israeli nationalism. The first two experiments examined participants' stance toward the Israeli–Palestinian conflict and the Jewish settlers in the West Bank. Experiment 3 examined voting intentions and actual voting in Israel's recently held general elections. The results portray a consistent picture: subtle reminders of one's nationality significantly influence political thought and overt political behavior.

Here's one that says that subliminal messaging has no lasting effect, and has no market applications;
    Recent perspectives on unconscious processing: Still no marketing applications

Anthony R. Pratkanis 1 *, Anthony G. Greenwald 2
    1University of California, Santa Cruz
    2University of Washington
    *Correspondence to Anthony R. Pratkanis, Board of Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064

ABSTRACT
    The history of subliminal research consists of cycles during which investigators report a subliminal finding, others fail to replicate it, but, nevertheless, the finding is publicized and achieves some degree of acceptance among lay audiences. Such cycles have been permitted by (a) inadequately standardized empirical criteria for subliminal effects and (b) lack of consensus on theories of unconscious processes. Recent advances in methods have yielded some replicable subliminal effects and new models of unconscious processes have abandoned some of the controversial motivational assumptions of past perspectives. Nevertheless, cautious interpretation of this recent work maintains the wisdom of a skeptical appraisal of the potential for productive marketing applications.

So it does work to a degree, but only for a very short period, and can't be used to brainwash people. It would seem overt advertising is far more effective.
    However, that study about how it could affect voting patterns is worrying, because if your like me and normally haven't fully made up your mind by the time you get to the booth, one of these subtle cues could sway you one way over the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

Watched the film last night, was ok, more of the same really. The "submit to fear" is a little bit more obvious at some times than others but over all to obvious to be a subliminal message. I don't see the point of having it there at all, some of his followers may be a little suspicious. I would like to hear an explanation from him.

Watched the film last night, was ok, more of the same really. The "submit to fear" is a little bit more obvious at some times than others but over all to obvious to be a subliminal message. I don't see the point of having it there at all, some of his followers may be a little suspicious. I would like to hear an explanation from him.

i'm sure he will address it, and i'm guessing he will say something like he is drawing attention to the kind of sinister manipulation techniques used by the establishment to control the public, or something along those lines. to me it's an extension of the spooky music he uses. on the one hand he is saying - they are manipulating you by playing to your fears, but on the other he's doing the same thing, IMO.

there are a lot of techniques in his documentaries (by which i mean the documentaries he directs or produces, he doesn't direct everything he promotes himself) which i think are unnecessary. at the end of the day, he uses similar techniques for manipulating opinion that you see in all documentaries with an agenda, whatever side it's coming from. he manipulates his viewers in the same way as mainstream media does.

i listen to him fairly regularly and have watched most of the movies if not yet these new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Watching 8 mins into the clip to see that subliminal i actually couldnt read on first viewing, i only got the word FEAR and the rest was garbled and i didnt pick it up so i would say it was more subliminal than obvious.And intended as a suggestion for the subconscious imo for the duration of that program or maybe until they stop watching tv and snap out of alpha brain wave mode or something.
    It didnt look like he was teaching me about sumbliminals so i would say he was using them.

Torakx wrote: »
    Watching 8 mins into the clip to see that subliminal i actually couldnt read on first viewing, i only got the word FEAR and the rest was garbled and i didnt pick it up so i would say it was more subliminal than obvious

but you knew you were seeing something. and you knew that if you paused the video you'd be able to check what it was. and when you see something flashed for a frame or two, you recognise it as subliminal advertising. or that's basically how i feel and why I feel it's not effective (or subliminal).

I can't imagine that someone as savvy as Jones would leave this in there as "subliminal" tool - of course his audience is going to notice, so it has no subliminal value and I can't imagine it's something that he does not have some editorial justification for.

actually, I have also noticed that Jones, when he's advertising them, seems particularly pleased with the "new level" of production values in these videos. and they are pretty good.

however, just to pull one example i remember from "invisible empire". there are variously a nicely animated/after effects sequences where different figures are linked. they use smiling or grotesque stills of these people and then lay them out in a group, to illustrate they're all in it together. contrasted with the sombre tone and music and flickering backgrounds, the editorial is very much that they're all together and laughing at you sinisterly. fair enough, but what has flashed before you is ultimately a bunch of images taken out of context and slickly juxtaposed to support an editorial point. that point might be valid, but it's also clear jones is very interested in using the same propaganda techniques big brother does.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Torakx wrote: »
    Watching 8 mins into the clip to see that subliminal i actually couldnt read on first viewing, i only got the word FEAR and the rest was garbled and i didnt pick it up so i would say it was more subliminal than obvious.And intended as a suggestion for the subconscious imo for the duration of that program or maybe until they stop watching tv and snap out of alpha brain wave mode or something.
    It didnt look like he was teaching me about sumbliminals so i would say he was using them.

Sorry for putting you through those 8 minutes, I'd rather watch Police Academy 4 tbh.

It took me maybe 10 minutes to get the "Submit To" screenshot. Wouldn't have a clue about video editing so I had to do it old school by alternating between pause and play as quickly as I could, I didn't think it was possible for Alex Jones to bug me anymore than he does. While I don't have Floyd Mayweather reflexes it surely can't be that slowly displayed. I too only seen the "Fear" part , not the "To" in real time and only when I was looking out for it.

Strangely after all that I felt like giving into fear and then buying an Alex Jones DVD. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I wouldnt be suprised in the slightest if he is using subliminals just to up the fear factor it adds to the entertainment alot of his viewers are probably looking for.They want to be thrilled and terrified i think.Its kind of like when you watch a horror and it freightens the life out of you and you get a buzz.
    Except this is real life more than less imo and its being used as entertainment.

In reply to RGDATA im not sure about your last comment.I think it is possible somebody could add these things in and re-release his stuff.But iirc the FEAR word was on a tv or something in the background? I dont know alot about production of film etc but i guess that is possible.
    Also i never even watched a minute of the video.I dont have that much time for Alex Jones but i skipped to where i heard there was a subliminal and all i could catch with my eyes was fear when i was looking out for it.If i hadnt i would have considered it an annoying effect and maybe seen the word fear but not equated that with a suggestion more a report of whats happening.
    Alex Jones does appear to me to be more a fear monger than a true truth seeker.He talks over his callers doesnt give them a chance to speak which is a really really bad sign of somebody censoring his show.Im sure he could say its because he is being harrassed live on air by CIA agents or something but when i look at how he acts when he hears something that doesnt fit into his frame of mind it is alot of the time stamped out so Jones's world remains the same.
    He is pretty much saying look at this and look at that we are all going to die fom these evil b4st4rds and i am also dubious about his support for Ron Paul if he does indeed(i could be mistaken there).Why would we need a politician to help such a messed up situation, i believe thats how we got into it in the first place.

Advertisement