Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all 02 phones locked?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

No, that won't work! All phones bought from a network will be locked to that network!
    The phone can be bought here http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=110 but for way more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

simply yes! all phones are locked upon purchased with their network unless sold as sim free phones! plenty of options available to unlock them!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

What's the craic with this phone locking ****e anyway? Surely there are consumer laws to protect us?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

JoeyDoh wrote: »
    Hi

So basically I'm wondering are all 02 phones locked?
    The reason I asked is that the g/f is wondering whether she can buy this
    http://www.o2online.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/O2ProductDisplayView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&enableAddToCartBtn=true&catalogId=10001&phoneId=138609&flowType=S&productId=138609&newFlag=&partNumber=35861503&wcmArea=

And put her meteor sim card inside.

Cheers.

Almost guaranteed to be locked. O2 lock all their prepay phones except for the Nokia N900 as it's forbidden to be sold locked and the N900 is a good bit out of budget I think. She could do better than buying a Samsung Diva anyway.

For €149 she can get a Samsung Jet simfree

http://www.maxroam.com/Shop/Product/Detail.aspx?ProductId=773

Better in every single way and only €10 more and it's simfree to boot

The Jet is quadband and has 3G, the Diva is dualband and runs on 2G which is simply embarassing for any phone. The Diva has a pitiful TFT Resistive touch screen running at 320x240 while the Jet has an AMOLED resistive touch screen running at 800x480 which is even better than the iPhone. The jet has a 3.5mm audio jack, the diva does not. The Jet comes with 2GB internal memory, the diva has 40mb. The diva has a pitiful 3MP camera without flash while the Jet has a 5MP camera with flash and many other features like face and smile detection, the jet records video at twice the resolution as the diva and has slow motion recording aswell. The jet can video call and has a front facing camera. The Jet runs a very fast 800MHz processor while the Diva runs something much less powerful. The Jet has A-GPS. The jet can also play DivX and other media types while the Diva is limited to only MP4. The Jet has wifi and a proper web browser while the Diva doesn't have either.

Basically you would have to be absolutely mad to go for the Diva instead of the Jet.

It's such a shame the Jet runs Samsung's terrible TouchWiz OS, it has amazing specs for the price.

Almost guaranteed to be locked. O2 lock all their prepay phones except for the Nokia N900 as it's forbidden to be sold locked and the N900 is a good bit out of budget I think. She could do better than buying a Samsung Diva anyway.

For €149 she can get a Samsung Jet simfree

http://www.maxroam.com/Shop/Product/Detail.aspx?ProductId=773

Better in every single way and only €10 more and it's simfree to boot

The Jet is quadband and has 3G, the Diva is dualband and runs on 2G which is simply embarassing for any phone. The Diva has a pitiful TFT Resistive touch screen running at 320x240 while the Jet has an AMOLED capacitive touch screen running at 800x480 which is even better than the iPhone. The jet has a 3.5mm audio jack, the diva does not. The Jet comes with 2GB internal memory, the diva has 40mb. The diva has a pitiful 3MP camera without flash while the Jet has a 5MP camera with flash and many other features like face and smile detection, the jet records video at twice the resolution as the diva and has slow motion recording aswell. The jet can video call and has a front facing camera. The Jet runs a very fast 800MHz processor while the Diva runs something much less powerful. The Jet has A-GPS. The jet can also play DivX and other media types while the Diva is limited to only MP4. The Jet has wifi and a proper web browser while the Diva doesn't have either.

Basically you would have to be absolutely mad to go for the Diva instead of the Jet.

It's such a shame the Jet runs Samsung's terrible TouchWiz OS, it has amazing specs for the price.

True and all as that may be...She wants to know if it comes in anything but black:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

What's the craic with this phone locking ****e anyway? Surely there are consumer laws to protect us?!?

:confused: *leaves to get popcorn...

So why would one need a protection law against their mobile phone operator!

IH8TXT:) wrote: »
    :confused: *leaves to get popcorn...

So why would one need a protection law against their mobile phone operator!

Perphaps I worded that abit incorrectly!

What I meant to get across was that I think it's ridiculous that phone companys can lock phones. I'm almost positive in Italy operators are banned from locking phones. You have bought a product why can't you operate it whatever way you desire.

For example I have a 2 y/o sony ericsson sitting beside my bed that I can't give to anyone who isn't a 3 customer because it would cost me 35 euro to unlock,which is complete bollocks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For example I have a 2 y/o sony ericsson sitting beside my bed that I can't give to anyone who isn't a 3 customer because it would cost me 35 euro to unlock,which is complete bollocks imo.

€35,!!?

I got an O2 SE K800i unlocked in Dublin City centre in 5 mins for €10. I could have done it myself but I was just too lazy. I asked O2 and they said it would take 14 days to process my request, so I just payed the €10 and got in done down the street on the spot.

Most phones that can connect to a PC via USB can be unlocked easy enough if you know where to look.

True and all as that may be...She wants to know if it comes in anything but black:P
    It does but it will cost a lot more than €149 :D

She could always just get a silicone case for it any colour she wants. Easier.

Perphaps I worded that abit incorrectly!

What I meant to get across was that I think it's ridiculous that phone companys can lock phones. I'm almost positive in Italy operators are banned from locking phones. You have bought a product why can't you operate it whatever way you desire.

What's even worse is when they put on crippled branded firmware that has branding on almost every single area of the screen. Tbh, I understand why they lock prepay phones as you could easily just dump the sim card and not use it on their network and they would make a loss since they subsidize the phone but it's just sickening when they lock a phone on an 18 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You just tell them you want the unlock code and they must give it to you as the contract phone is yours not theirs and there has already been a European Directive to such effect.

You just tell them you want the unlock code and they must give it to you as the contract phone is yours not theirs and there has already been a European Directive to such effect.
    I'm fairly sure that isn't true. Ask anyone who bought an iPhone on contract and you'll see that they are locked until the contract is up (And sometimes even for longer).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You might let us know which directive it is, so we can beat the operator's doors down.......

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

If you want a sim free phone buy it online, there are plenty of sites selling sim free phones online. The networks subsidise the cost of these handsets so they aren't going to let you buy it and p**s off to another network!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

I'm fairly sure that isn't true. Ask anyone who bought an iPhone on contract and you'll see that they are locked until the contract is up (And sometimes even for longer).

iPhones were not being unlocked by O2 while they had an exclusive deal with apple, this was in the contract so anyone who signed it and complained after is a fool. They will now unlock them as vodafone are selling them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I have done this for all my recent phones, your contract pays for the phone. Anyone stupid enough to buy an iProne deserves what they got.

Advertisement