Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilbert O'Sullivan

• 24-04-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Are we going to welcome him to Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Why not?
    Seems we didnt last time

That's kind of ignorant really!

That's kind of ignorant really!
    agreed

We can be guilty of being labeled a City of knockers when it is one of our own!:(

• Advertisement

We can be guilty of being labeled a City of knockers when it is one of our own!:(
    Its an "Irish" thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Who is he?

19.5V wrote: »
    Its an "Irish" thing

It might be, but we have perfected it!!:(

Stokolan wrote: »
    Who is he?
    Probably one of the greatest "Pop Stars" of the 70's, born in Watrerford.
    He wrote some timeless classic pop music that touches the heart-strings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He's a bit bitter and needy. I love some of his stuff but I cringed watched arts lives the other night and cringed evenmore listening to the wlr interview

• Advertisement

He's a bit bitter and needy. I love some of his stuff but I cringed watched arts lives the other night and cringed evenmore listening to the wlr interview
    Why did you cring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 macbeath

I think his music is brill,grew up with it and was always happy to refer to him as one of us in "BLAA LAND"!Would love to see him in waterord .He Came across as being a bit moodey in the programme the other night but i think the man deserves respect!!

I tought his TV interview was great, it showed a man (without the spin that we get from every other interview) as he is and as he was, allowing us to see how it realy is. No tinted lense, no edits, no promotion, no bull.

macbeath wrote: »
    I think his music is brill,grew up with it and was always happy to refer to him as one of us in "BLAA LAND"!Would love to see him in waterord .He Came across as being a bit moodey in the programme the other night but i think the man deserves respect!!

Without a doubt! but people here will try and find the faults!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Without a doubt! but people here will try and find the faults!!

Are you saying because he's from Waterford we can't find fault.
    I can't stand him (not him but his music) but my wife loves him. Went to see him with her in Killarney over 3 years ago, I lasted until the half time break.
    I think the whole "please play in Waterford" campagin really plays to his ego. The last time he played in Waterford his music was so out of fashion people didn't want to hear it, nothing wrong with that, it happens. Trends come and go and he's coming back into fashion (sort of), he should enjoy it.

Everytime I hear him talk about Waterford there is only 2 things mentioned

1. I was born there and left when I was 7

2. last time I played there the place was half empty and I won't play there again

Other than that he never mentions the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Agree with Roanmore. I give him absolute respect for his music career - some great pop songs. But what exactly has he ever done for Waterford, apart from whinge about the place? He seems to have a major chip on his shoulder. It's been thirty years since he had a song in the charts. Get over yourself Gilbert!

19.5V wrote: »
    Why did you cring?

Well I cringed mainly because of the poor interview on WLR and when Des Whelan came on asking him to come back for the tall ships...it was all just a bit embarrassing.

Gilbert was huge in the 70s, he has some fantastic songs that I absolutely love (alone again is in my top ten of all time) but he's lost touch with waterford (couldn't even remember the name of "the theatre on the corner there" and I get the impression that he is anything but proud of his waterford connections.

I don't agree with one thing though - people saying that waterford are begrudgers...you can see see how much they love Gilbert and others that have gone on to big things.

In the documentary during the week I think we saw a side to Gilbert that he probably wouldn't want people to see...he's become very self conscious about his music and you can tell that he's slightly bitter about other artist's success. He is a bit of a legend though and wrote some great songs (and some awful ones - a woman's place and are you happy are two of the worse records I've ever heard)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

eiresandra wrote: »
    Agree with Roanmore. I give him absolute respect for his music career - some great pop songs. But what exactly has he ever done for Waterford, apart from whinge about the place? He seems to have a major chip on his shoulder. It's been thirty years since he had a song in the charts. Get over yourself Gilbert!

ID have to agree , iv only recently got to see of him in art lives and wlr interview and i can say he does not come across nice imo, he certainly does nothing for waterford city. i guess he wishes he had bein born elsewhere ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

He doesn't have to do anything for Waterford :confused:

The last time he decided to play in Waterford the tickets didn't sell and it was very much a thing of who does he think he is.

I think some of his songs are brillant, I would love to see him play Waterford. I'd love to see anyone play Waterford, its really lost any pulling poor it ever had - no one really comes here anymore.

Something has to be done to turn Waterford around, its really sad how it has turned from a hive of activity to a ghost town in the last 10 to 15 years - its shocking :mad:

Too many people pulling against one another rather than coming together. Welcome to Waterford:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

He doesn't have to do anything for Waterford

You're right... he doesn't. But, the point is... he seems to have a major chip on his shoulder about the place, even going back to before his gig didn't sell out. All he has ever done is give out about the place. I look at people like Keith Barry and John O'Shea who have achieved success and fame, but still find time to return and help a local charity, or the Xmas hamper appeal, or the local football club. They're the people I admire.
    The last time he decided to play in Waterford the tickets didn't sell and it was very much a thing of who does he think he is.

How pray tell do you know that was the reason? Did you conduct a survey back in 1993?! My understanding from talking to those in the know is that the particular gig clashed with the Eurovision in Millstreet when Niamh Kavanagh won. Sad as that sounds, Eurovision was big back in the day - particularly being held in Ireland. Also in that era, the retro thing wasn't as big as it is now.

I take your point about the nightlife in Waterford dying off, but you gotta remember that at the moment, we've had Chipmunk, One Republic, Calvin Harris, Tinchy Stryder and Jedward all doing gigs in the Forum. They may not be your cup of tea, but these are the stars that the kids are watching on MTV and X Factor. I don't remember seeing the equivalent acts of their day in the Forum in the 90s or 00s. We were lucky if we got a visit from Boyzone (before they were internationally famous) or OTT.

eiresandra wrote: »
    You're right... he doesn't. But, the point is... he seems to have a major chip on his shoulder about the place, even going back to before his gig didn't sell out. All he has ever done is give out about the place.

How pray tell do you know that was the reason? Did you conduct a survey back in 1993?! My understanding from talking to those in the know is that the particular gig clashed with the Eurovision in Millstreet when Niamh Kavanagh won. Sad as that sounds, Eurovision was big back in the day - particularly being held in Ireland. Also in that era, the retro thing wasn't as big as it is now.

I take your point about the nightlife in Waterford dying off, but you gotta remember that at the moment, we've had Chipmunk, One Republic, Calvin Harris, Tinchy Stryder and Jedward all doing gigs in the Forum. They may not be your cup of tea, but these are the stars that the kids are watching on MTV and X Factor. I don't remember seeing the equivalent acts of their day in the Forum in the 90s or 00s. We were lucky if we got a visit from Boyzone (before they were internationally famous) or OTT.

I wouldn't say he has a major chip, and over the years he hasn't talked about Waterford himself particularly but only when specifically asked but for some reason alot of Waterford people appear to think he has a major chip

No survey but people did go out an awful lot more then, I would say your understanding and my understanding both had an impact on why his tickets didn't sell.

Have to say I have seen some very good acts in Waterford over the years particularly in 1993 - Bob Dylan and Van Morrison played Tramore and were retro even then. I think Cutting Crew played in the Bridge that year as well but it could have been later.

Anyway I hope he decides to play here, I know of loads of people who would love to see him now.

Well I cringed mainly because of the poor interview on WLR and when Des Whelan came on asking him to come back for the tall ships...it was all just a bit embarrassing.

Twas fairly cringe worthy alright :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

If I lived in a place for the first 7 years of my life, left it and became a big star, and then return to the place expecting a half decent crowd to be at a homecoming gig but only a handful turned up, I'd have a major chip on my shoulder too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I'd love to see anyone play Waterford, its really lost any pulling poor it ever had - no one really comes here anymore.
    Now that's a much more important topic to debate I reckon. The concert venue in Castlebar Co Mayo gets a pile more acts than we do, bloody depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

He is no Brendan Bowyer ... a true Waterford legend .... & not to forget the one & only ´The Bok´

What´s yer man that played on the quay on Millenium eve ... another famous old time Waterford singer!? He was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

The bok is a Kilkenny man;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

comeraghs wrote: »
    He is no Brendan Bowyer ... a true Waterford legend .... & not to forget the one & only ´The Bok´

What´s yer man that played on the quay on Millenium eve ... another famous old time Waterford singer!? He was great!
    Would that be Val Doonican? Now theres a man with street cred - once appeared on the "Old Grey Whistle Test".

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Val Doonican is the man! he was great on the quay in 99/00

Is the Bok really from KK ... I Heard Ferrybank ... but assumed the Waterford bit!

• Advertisement

Went to see Gilbert last night and was completely underwhelmed. He whined and moaned all the way through about sound quality. Left the stage for about ten minutes at one point. People werent allowed drink and he even had devoted middle aged women shouting at him to "get on with it". A very poor showing from a man with zero confidence.

Advertisement