Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Mask Current Dominant Fly Hatch & Fly Fishing Conditions?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Looking for daily current updates on the condition of dominant fly hatches on Lough Mask for 2010 .

What type of fly?

Amount of Fly?

What date were you on the lake this year?

How many rises did you see, or get to your fly?

Where is the hatch on the lake?

Temperature?

Wind conditions ( Direction and strength)?

Your method used? Dry or wet?

How many fish caught and average size?

Regards,

http://www.youtube.com/user/DryFlyFishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I saw your youtube clip
    lots of dead fish there....:mad:
    you can whistle for your daily update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

fisherking wrote: »
    I saw your youtube clip

what you dont see is all the fish i do release.

if you have nothing of interest or value to this thread can you please not post as it is off topic .

regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

you should show the ones ye release then in your video,always good to see it,there may have been far too many fish killed in one sitting in some of your videos ,, instead of just showing killed fish show some being released and the people from the west might part with info,and i have to say i admire how many fish you catch,so you are obviously a gifted angler with experience,so a little input to the forum ie: sharing your technical abilities/experience rather than posting pics of dead fish then asking for details on another lake where the regulars fear that this sort of thing might take place with no catch and release whatsoever ,maybe you wouldnt get stick then,,,just a thought.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

fisherking wrote: »
    I saw your youtube clip

what you dont see is all the fish i do release.
    if you have nothing of interest or value to this thread can you please not post as it is off topic .

I thought Fisherking's post was on topic. He was talking about why he will not answer the OP's desire for information.

If you enjoy fishing, why don't you fish and find out? The pursuit's supposed to be the fun of fishing. So if you're not catching all the time that would give you a fresh challenge.

cj salmon wrote: »
    you should show the ones ye release then in your video,always good to see it,there may have been far too many fish killed in one sitting in some of your videos ,, instead of just showing killed fish show some being released and the people from the west might part with info,and i have to say i admire how many fish you catch,so you are obviously a gifted angler with experience,so a little input to the forum ie: sharing your technical abilities/experience rather than posting pics of dead fish then asking for details on another lake where the regulars fear that this sort of thing might take place with no catch and release whatsoever ,maybe you wouldnt get stick then,,,just a thought.

i do not carry a camera or have someone to video me all the time... how can one show videos on request unless previously asked for the content before fishing.

99% of the trout i release are under 2.5 lb , sure there would be no point in videoing that.

If someone wanted to know what my tactics are ... just ask.

If someone only showed releasing fish then there would be only ever one fish in a photo? the videos were about showing some good days on a lake, that people have been saying has not been FLY fishing well for years.

Regards,

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    I thought Fisherking's post was on topic. He was talking about why he will not answer the OP's desire for information.

If you enjoy fishing, why don't you fish and find out? The pursuit's supposed to be the fun of fishing. So if you're not catching all the time that would give you a fresh challenge.

I dry fly fish, i know the lake is fishing rubbish till the temperature heats up, i would have to wet fly the lake. I hate wet fly. ~(Casting Blind)

If i am to spend money travelling to Mask for a week, I will only go when the conditions are right, or else i might as well just practise casting in the back garden as the chances of catching large fish on dry are nill at the moment.

if i lived on the lake yes i would dry the lake last weekend and this... but i dont ...

has the duck fly come up yet?

much buzzer or olive ?

Fisherking or should i say FishFinger .. as he seems to point a lot... was off topic as he does not posses the knowledge of Mask and just decided to make noise.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

troll...

mupchease wrote: »
    troll...

I honestly would not pay money to troll. Sitting in a boat driving along with the engine noise.. all day to catch a few fish on a spinning rod.

i would prefer the peace and quiet, and a warm day with a bit of a fly hatch.

do you fly fish?

regards,

i do not carry a camera or have someone to video me all the time... how can one show videos on request unless previously asked for the content before fishing.

99% of the trout i release are under 2.5 lb , sure there would be no point in videoing that.

If someone wanted to know what my tactics are ... just ask.

If someone only showed releasing fish then there would be only ever one fish in a photo? the videos were about showing some good days on a lake, that people have been saying has not been FLY fishing well for years.

Regards,

in fairness i dont care if you show fish being released or not because i wont watch anything you put up after seeing you kill salmon on a trout fishing trip without a gill tag in sight,,, the majority of anglers i know would never kill fish to that extent,,thats fly,spin,course,you name it.you dont need to photo every fish,,im sure your word is good enough,if you feel you need to video each landing or something,,it seems you have to kill fish ,to fill your bag, photo them and hence build your ego on forums such as this ,,without giving any info to people who might be interested on what you used etc,to catch.
    i was merely stating that people might help you out if you did show that you dont slaughter trout all the time,and maybe a little input into your tactics.
    was just stating the facts as to why you get a hard time on this and other ( ahem UK forums,with your alter egos,dryfly girl,etc:) , ,but dont know why i was trying to be friendly as ye dont come across as very friendly yourself.
    and you wont win any friends be repeatdly posting the same thread,,definatly the moderators anyway.
    glad you dont fish rivers in the east !!!!

cj salmon wrote: »
    in fairness i dont care if you show fish being released or not because i wont watch anything you put up after seeing you kill salmon on a trout fishing trip without a gill tag in sight,,, the majority of anglers i know would never kill fish to that extent,,thats fly,spin,course,you name it.you dont need to photo every fish,,im sure your word is good enough,if you feel you need to video each landing or something,,it seems you have to kill fish ,to fill your bag, photo them and hence build your ego on forums such as this ,,without giving any info to people who might be interested on what you used etc,to catch.
    i was merely stating that people might help you out if you did show that you dont slaughter trout all the time,and maybe a little input into your tactics.
    was just stating the facts as to why you get a hard time on this and other ( ahem UK forums,with your alter egos,dryfly girl,etc:) , ,but dont know why i was trying to be friendly as ye dont come across as very friendly yourself.
    and you wont win any friends be repeatdly posting the same thread,,definatly the moderators anyway.
    glad you dont fish rivers in the east !!!!

are you going to bring up the UK fly forum LOL... Those English stocky basher C&R Extremists got there asses kicked, they all fish the same and only fish out of books and mags... they tried so hard to pull apart my tactics and failed miserably . and banned everyone i know. god love them... LOL

Did you see the DryFlyFfishing supporters page that was set up by the UK members... wanting me back.... little to say the admin shut down that thread. where is the freedom of speech on there?

The UK forum admin has been influenced by C&R fanatics and bullies that want everyone else to have the same views as them.

just because i don’t show me fishing rivers in the east does not mean i don’t

i dont see where in any of my posts that i am unfriendly?

this thread is about lough mask current fly hatch conditions... can we all stick to it? and the other threads are about other lake conditions. different locations have diferent conditions, so they are different threads.

CJSalmon if you want to talk directly to me, you can private message me, as this thread is not for airing thoughts about C&R. :)

for anyone that does not know what C&R is ==== Catch & Release

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Wow... You really think you're cool. Why even bother posting on forums?

i got the repeated thread thing wrong i admit ,misread the threads ,i thought they were all the same lough,, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Looking for daily current updates on the condition of dominant fly hatches on Lough Mask for 2010 .

What type of fly?
    Amount of Fly?
    What date were you on the lake this year?
    How many rises did you see, or get to your fly?
    Where is the hatch on the lake?
    Temperature?
    Wind conditions ( Direction and strength)?
    Your method used? Dry or wet?
    How many fish caught and average size?
    Regards,

The duckfly have essentially come and gone - fished mask late March / Early April... middle of day before any takes (warmest part of the day). Plenty of trout rising on Mask and other smaller lakes, at dusk, but they were fairly stationary and not moving around - due to the temp - just waiting in one spot for what ever dropped their way.

Mask is huge and has its own microclimate, especially regarding the wind - it can be perfectly calm one minute and then like the Atlantic the next, the Mountains create wind there. The hatches can be concentrated anywhere.

If you want to fish Mask, best just to take a trip down and book a local ghille if you want to boat fish - its a very dangerous lake with hidden rocks, if you don't know it you're in for serious trouble, you'd be safer going out on the sea.

snow ghost wrote: »
    The duckfly have essentially come and gone - fished mask late March / Early April... middle of day before any takes (warmest part of the day). Plenty of trout rising on Mask and other smaller lakes, at dusk, but they were fairly stationary and not moving around - due to the temp - just waiting in one spot for what ever dropped their way.

Mask is huge and has its own microclimate, especially regarding the wind - it can be perfectly calm one minute and then like the Atlantic the next, the Mountains create wind there. The hatches can be concentrated anywhere.

If you want to fish Mask, best just to take a trip down and book a local ghille if you want to boat fish - its a very dangerous lake with hidden rocks, if you don't know it you're in for serious trouble, you'd be safer going out on the sea.

The shallows / rocky areas are the interesting bit as they heat up quicker . more nymph coming to the surface for dry fly. Mask seems to be shallower than other similar sized lakes, more food for the trout this cold year/ it may come into condition sooner than other lakes.

What effect did the cold spring have on the hatch? Is the hatch a week or two behind usual? is the hatch strong compared to other years ?

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

DryFlyFishing this is an interesting thread but I don’t think you will get too much detailed information on public forum like this.
    To be honest, and I am not having a go at you, I would be very reluctant to share detailed information with less conservation minded anglers. But on this occasion I don’t want to lecture on catch and release that is for each angler and their own conscious to deal with, quite simply it’s a matter of education.
    You made one point about not liking wet fly fishing; I tend to agree with you on that point. It is a point for debate it self. Trout seem to have changed their feeding habits and I don’t believe that traditional wetfly is as productive as it once was. Just put the trout back to get them on the dries when they are a little bigger the next time. :D:D

mupchease wrote: »
    Wow... You really think you're cool. Why even bother posting on forums?

we had a cold spring... i am looking for information on which lake is coming into condition for dry fly first. I want to maximise the potential surface feeding, as we all spend alot of money fishing, and i dont want to have to extend a holiday because i picked the wrong lake for a specific date/week.

Regards,

DryFlyFishing this is an interesting thread but I don’t think you will get too much detailed information on public forum like this.
    To be honest, and I am not having a go at you, I would be very reluctant to share detailed information with less conservation minded anglers. But on this occasion I don’t want to lecture on catch and release that is for each angler and their own conscious to deal with, quite simply it’s a matter of education.
    You made one point about not liking wet fly fishing; I tend to agree with you on that point. It is a point for debate it self. Trout seem to have changed their feeding habits and I don’t believe that traditional wetfly is as productive as it once was. Just put the trout back to get them on the dries when they are a little bigger the next time. :D:D

i only keep what i will eat on holidays. I only kill a fish around 2.5lb-4lb as any bigger they become pale fleshed and i release all trout under 2.5LB they will grow to be 2lb -3.5lb next year... do you not think?

(and never go over my quota) - and no i do not fish to quota - if anyone comes off a irish lake with one or two decent fish around 3lb they are doing very well on Dry Fly.

If the west wants tourism, people will spill the beans on how well there lakes are fishing?

the information is not just for me, it is there for everyone to read. even the foreign fishermen who pay thousands to come over to Ireland.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Yes I agree with that. The difference is I would not bother eating them these days but that's my choice. it is ok to take one or two now and again for personal use, nothing wrong with that. to kill trout for commercial reasons or to just give them away is wrong. Do you only fish in the west? the cold spring has defo had an affect i expect the mayfly to be generally late this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

are you going to bring up the UK fly forum LOL... Those English stocky basher C&R Extremists got there asses kicked, they all fish the same and only fish out of books and mags... they tried so hard to pull apart my tactics and failed miserably . and banned everyone i know. god love them... LOL

Did you see the DryFlyFfishing supporters page that was set up by the UK members... wanting me back.... little to say the admin shut down that thread. where is the freedom of speech on there?

The UK forum admin has been influenced by C&R fanatics and bullies that want everyone else to have the same views as them.

just because i don’t show me fishing rivers in the east does not mean i don’t

i dont see where in any of my posts that i am unfriendly?

this thread is about lough mask current fly hatch conditions... can we all stick to it? and the other threads are about other lake conditions. different locations have diferent conditions, so they are different threads.

CJSalmon if you want to talk directly to me, you can private message me, as this thread is not for airing thoughts about C&R. :)

for anyone that does not know what C&R is ==== Catch & Release

Regards,

What a great post, laughed my ass off....those English stockie bashers are some of the finest fly anglers Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England have to offer, be the fish wild or stocked. There are no C&R fanatics, just people me included that dont like seeing videos of some fool glorifying the killing of wild trout and showing not the slightest bit of respect for his quarry. I kill fish but dont need my ego massaged posting about it all over the internet. I kill my fish quickly and dont fool around with the flat of a knive blade.

And you never answered my questions on the other forum, where are your catches that weren't during the Mayfly ?
    And the threads started that wanted you back were started by yourself under different user names, genius idea by the way.

stylie wrote: »
    What a great post, laughed my ass off....those English stockie bashers are some of the finest fly anglers Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England have to offer, be the fish wild or stocked. There are no C&R fanatics, just people me included that dont like seeing videos of some fool glorifying the killing of wild trout and showing not the slightest bit of respect for his quarry. I kill fish but dont need my ego massaged posting about it all over the internet. I kill my fish quickly and dont fool around with the flat of a knive blade.

And you never answered my questions on the other forum, where are your catches that weren't during the Mayfly ?
    And the threads started that wanted you back were started by yourself under different user names, genius idea by the way.

have a look at the thread called (Banned) http://www.flyforums.co.uk/general-fly-fishing-discussion/64120-banned.html look at the date that member and others signed up to that forum????

i only went onto that site about a month ago, because you lot sent me threats. I would have never have been on a forum until you lot brought my attention to your presumptuous views that are miss guided ( you lot presume alot and know nothing about what i do ....)

if those guys are the finest fly fishing men Brittan and Ireland has to offer, it is no wonder people are complaining that they are not catching big wild fish on the fly, as they have been taking advice from them. LMAO

I did answer your question. and there is enough information even on this thread to answer it.

i fished april last year and many before , did not bother this year because of the cold. and if you want to see the quality of fish i got there is a vid...

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

dj likes the controversy and created that to stir things up. you created several users trying to validate your points.
    Who are complaining they are not catching big fish on the fly ?
    And critcising anglers when you yourself only fish when trout are on the top and easy to catch is a bit rich. It doesnt get any easier catching trout on dries in May. Video some ceanis dry fly fishing and get back to us.

stylie wrote: »
    dj likes the controversy and created that to stir things up. you created several users trying to validate your points.
    Who are complaining they are not catching big fish on the fly ?
    And critcising anglers when you yourself only fish when trout are on the top and easy to catch is a bit rich. It doesnt get any easier catching trout on dries in May. Video some ceanis dry fly fishing and get back to us.

ceanis - well im quite good at that lol.. but i only fish ceanis emergers :) to much of the other stuff on the surface....

Trout see the body trying to break through the surface better ... and go after your fly not the dry dead millions on the surface.

Trout prefer nymphs to fly... easier target.

i am not criticising anglers.. i am not just going to take there miss guided presumptuous comments/abuse/ threats/ etc...... They should not abuse me and i will not educate them.

and with regards to me setting up multiple users on that forum... the admin blocked my computer so how could i set up another...

do you not think my mates would have a go at them. If there is anyone on here that wants a go at them they are welcome... they all think the same so its like talking to one person.. with one view... (They are called the (usual suspects)) - forum bullies.... well if you read the posts you will see very quickly what they are like... and who they are.... my ID on that forum is Dryflyfishing ... so you can see all my posts or threads i was in. By the way the UK forum admin is as bad as the usual suspects as he probably gets free fishing and has to side with them ... so you will probably get banned very quickly if you do not agree with them. There problem is they have big egos... and it is hard to teach an old dog a new trick.... they should set up a forum called vintageflyforum.com

when i mean old... i mean there tactics.... they fish out of the same book...

Even if my videos wetted the appetite of 100 anglers from abroad it would inject €200,000 into local small town economy.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

DryFlyFishing,

To find answers to the info you seek, all you have to do is contact the Western Fisheries Boards or tourism businesses that cater for anglers in the region and they'll happily tell you. You may also find some other recent reports on other websites like castlebar.ie.

snow ghost wrote: »
    DryFlyFishing,

To find answers to the info you seek, all you have to do is contact the Western Fisheries Boards or tourism businesses that cater for anglers in the region and they'll happily tell you. You may also find some other recent reports on other websites like castlebar.ie.

thanks.. ill keep an eye on it...:)

Regards,

Yes I agree with that. The difference is I would not bother eating them these days but that's my choice. it is ok to take one or two now and again for personal use, nothing wrong with that. to kill trout for commercial reasons or to just give them away is wrong. Do you only fish in the west? the cold spring has defo had an affect i expect the mayfly to be generally late this year.

i fish west east and south depending on the time of year and what type of fish im after.

Will this current warm weather speed a mayfly hatch along?

Has anyone seen mayfly on the lake yet? Even one or two?

did you see the view counter on this thread... i have a feeling the USUAL SUSPECTS from the UK forum ... have joined this forum lol.... they must be akin to get there member verification password... well they followed me around over there and they will over here... dont let this post put you off... lets chat ... sheep ... i think this video is fitting ... LMAO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXyjDVwSmw

:D

Regards,

Obnoxious video that. Unless it was made in the 1970-80s. Catches of 8 trout all dead ... large fish all dead .. dead salmon with no tag ....
    Thanks for a perfect reminder to all that look at your video just why information on fishing places and conditions should not be published in public, for all to see, or by PM to those not known personally to be in favour of catch and release.
    Novices who are free with the info please take note.
    Stone age bring-a bag-of-fish-home angler is alive and well and posting on Boards this week!

What exactly are you trying to prove with the inflammatory posts DFF? That you can get reasonable people enraged? Every teenager thinks that's cool for a short period until they learn better.

Or are you one of those people that goes into a pub and deliberately knocks over the pint resting in front of the biggest guy present?

Obnoxious video that. Unless it was made in the 1970-80s. Catches of 8 trout all dead ... large fish all dead .. dead salmon with no tag ....
    Thanks for a perfect reminder to all that look at your video just why information on fishing places and conditions should not be published in public, for all to see, or by PM to those not known personally to be in favour of catch and release.
    Novices who are free with the info please take note.
    Stone age bring-a bag-of-fish-home angler is alive and well and posting on Boards this week!

What exactly are you trying to prove with the inflammatory posts DFF? That you can get reasonable people enraged? Every teenager thinks that's cool for a short period until they learn better.

Or are you one of those people that goes into a pub and deliberately knocks over the pint resting in front of the biggest guy present?
    calm down... :)go read the uk forum before you judge.. and i mean all of what i posted... or did you come from there?

I'm asking based on what is here. Why all the dead fish photos?
    Those abuses are what destroyed Irish trout fishing from what it was in the 70s and due to many other factors it still hasn't recovered.

• Advertisement

I'm asking based on what is here. Why all the dead fish photos?
    Those abuses are what destroyed Irish trout fishing from what it was in the 70s and due to many other factors it still hasn't recovered.

those photos are from a lake that is in better condition than 100 years ago...

i only killed a few fish and released tons...

do you not know the corrib is gtting better year on year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement