Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Mask Current Dominant Fly Hatch & Fly Fishing Conditions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

i fish west east and south depending on the time of year and what type of fish im after.

Will this current warm weather speed a mayfly hatch along?

Has anyone seen mayfly on the lake yet? Even one or two?

hope you dont kill salmon or seatrout in the east,,as most our rivers are closed,,and from your videos ,it seems that you probably would!!

why no gill tags on salmon caught in videos???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

cj salmon wrote: »
    hope you dont kill salmon or seatrout in the east,,as most our rivers are closed,,and from your videos ,it seems that you probably would!!

have not killed a seatrout in 4+ years and they are so small over there now over in the west... sure who would bother..... and i dont fish west for salmon. and i dont fo east at all.. only for a now and again... it is over fished.. but there are some great spots....

the east has better seatrout than the west... nothing like the UK ..but they hit 8lb

there where salmon in your lough fishing videos no?

WHY NO GILL TAGS ON DEAD SALMON?

plenty of 3lb seatrout seen in my local last year,catch and release only,as it should be for all seatrout im sure you would agree!!

have you fished in the east for salmon?

there where salmon in your lough fishing videos no?

WHY NO GILL TAGS ON DEAD SALMON?

plenty of 3lb seatrout seen in my local last year,catch and release only,as it should be for all seatrout im sure you would agree!!

have you fished in the east for salmon?
    CJ your east

all my fish get tagged... but tagges are ugly in photos .... try to hide.. look at this vid you might just see one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5SqWdaqrT0

CJ your east

all my fish get tagged... but tagges are ugly in photos .... try to hide.. look at this vid you might just see one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5SqWdaqrT0

what??? have you fished in the east for salmon was the question,,just curious,,and your reluctant to answer wht salmon killed had no gill tags and the fact is that you basically broke the law,correct me if im wron g but salmon in your lough videos had no gill tags ????
    and gill tags are to remain on the fish till processing them at home or whatever??
    you had tags on a salmon river,,prob because you needed a licence before you can be granted to fish for the day.

the other salmon caught by dry fly fishing for trout,,( a lucky and welcome accident),where still killed and have no tags,,,that sort of thing could really enrage salmon fishers do you not think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

those photos are from a lake that is in better condition than 100 years ago...

i only killed a few fish and released tons...

do you not know the corrib is gtting better year on year?

Unless you are fishing Corrib for 40 years you don't know what good fishing is. Irish lough trout are still recovering from damage done during the 1980s and after when stocks were reduced by over 90% in some loughs. Increased angling pressure, reduced water quality and roach competition did the damage. But the trout are coming back slowly year on year ... PRIMARILY BECAUSE MORE ANGLERS ARE RETURNING THE FISH THEY CATCH.

You seem to be advocating a similar view as the factory trawler apologists "Ah sure there's more fish in the sea than we can ever catch" it's infinite so we can do no harm." And yesterday the owners of Ireland's biggest trawler admitted on the radio they had to send it to CHILE to find more fish stocks to eliminate.

How about some photos of fish being returned?

what??? have you fished in the east for salmon was the question,,just curious,,and your reluctant to answer wht salmon killed had no gill tags and the fact is that you basically broke the law,correct me if im wron g but salmon in your lough videos had no gill tags ????
    and gill tags are to remain on the fish till processing them at home or whatever??
    you had tags on a salmon river,,prob because you needed a licence before you can be granted to fish for the day.

the other salmon caught by dry fly fishing for trout,,( a lucky and welcome accident),where still killed and have no tags,,,that sort of thing could really enrage salmon fishers do you not think[/QUOTE

lol i do alot of salmon fishing.. i own a licence at the start of the year, not that i even bother fishing at the start.,.. if i catch a salmon on a lake on 3lb on dry fly,, would you throw it back just because your licence is in your bag in the B&B ..

by the way the fish got tagged before i got to shore as i keep my licence in my vest....

and even if i did not have my licence on the lake i would have kept the fish as i would have taged it when i got to the B&B... like any one else... Lets be honest here would you throw it back...

tag it in the in bnb??? that completely defeats the purpose of tagging would ye not say?,,,if a bailiff caught you with with a untagged fish,he's not gonna beleive that like!! there is untagged salmon on the shore is there not?? i could be wrong i coulnt be a!!sed looking tbh.

im sure you do have a licence for salmon fishing incidently what lough was it you caught salmon on dries??
    i would return salmon caught if i hadnt a tag there to save getting a hefty fine possibly, and generally obey the law,and id return 98 per cent of my fish anyway.

why should you have to kill salmon when you went trout fishing and had already an overfull bag of them? nice surpize to catch but why kill it then,,take a salmon on a salmon fishing trip if you like,,nothing wrong with the odd salmon for the table i suppose ,,you wouldnt kill a trout on a salmon trip,,,well maybe you would

i think this thread should prob return to topic here ,so best of luck with your loughs info.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    Unless you are fishing Corrib for 40 years you don't know what good fishing is. Irish lough trout are still recovering from damage done during the 1980s and after when stocks were reduced by over 90% in some loughs. Increased angling pressure, reduced water quality and roach competition did the damage. But the trout are coming back slowly year on year ... PRIMARILY BECAUSE MORE ANGLERS ARE RETURNING THE FISH THEY CATCH.

Very true indeed...........but I would also add pollution and drainage to the list of causes coolwings..........

I am very glad to see anglers finally taking catch and release seriously in Ireland.....it has been long long overdue.

why no gill tags on salmon caught in videos???????????

i fish legal... :)

• Advertisement

tag it in the in bnb??? that completely defeats the purpose of tagging would ye not say?,,,if a bailiff caught you with with a untagged fish,he's not gonna beleive that like!! there is untagged salmon on the shore is there not?? i could be wrong i coulnt be a!!sed looking tbh.

if a bailiff wanted to fine me, if i did not have my tags with me, after coming off a lake from trout fishing, i would happily pay it...

i dont think anyone would release a salmon they got on 3lb dry fly.

but that was not the case.... the salmon got tagged after photo...
    :)

tag it in the in bnb??? that completely defeats the purpose of tagging would ye not say

no it does not defeat the purpose...

fish got tagged...

fish got recorded....

what is the difference..?????????? a few hours.....?

any B&B will not accept a salmon into there freezer without a tag.....:)...

so make sure you put one on it before anyone sees it...

better off having your tags with you out on the lake though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ok enough is enough - I'm closing this thread as its not only getting very inflammatory but also promoting the use of taking untagged fish............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement