Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cheaper dog nuts

Options
  • 24-04-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

My Rough Collie is just 1 year old now. I've had her on Royal Canin for the first year but can no longer justify spending 55 Euro per bag. Any recommendations on cheaper but good dog food. Don't mind buying 1 bag of Royal Canin & mixing some type of cheaper nuts to stretch it further, maybe getting 2 months to 1 bag of Royal C. Any help or suggestions.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

how big is that bag for 55.00 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i find the redmill's great i thinks it's the leader one, in a blue bag, about 20 something for 15kg bag. Just out of interest does anybody now if any research has been carried out on dog nut's (no jokes please:)). Just that any time i check the nutritional content it is nearly as the same barring racer nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Redmills star; €19 in Woodies DIY.
    You can mix in some raw mince now and again, or vegetable oil to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I pay 60Euro for a 12kg bag of Royal Canin from Kinsealey Pet Store, for a smaller bag it's 22Euro for a 3kg bag, so basically getting 1 b3kg bag free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try zooplus.co.uk Burns dog food chicken and rice is cheap enough esp. if you buy the 15kg bag for a rough collie it works out at about 7 euro a week to feed.

If I was going for an alternative dog food would feed the Red Mills one of our pooches can only tolerate certain food though so we feed the all the pork and potato Burns. Costs us about 10 euro a week to feed two of them one is a border collie. The pup gets a mix of puppy and dog food but he's only 3.5kg in weight so costs hardly anything to feed.

zooplus seem to be the cheapest for Burns atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

I find Royal Canin Club Performance fantastic, the cheapest in the RC range but no compromise on quality. It's sometimes available on zooplus.ie or zooplus.co.uk in 15kg bags, which is even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

if you call into killshane kennels just after killshane cross, they stock red mills at a very competitive rate, ask for betty or aidan, there is nothing they couldnt help you with as regards your pet. . . 01 8344424.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I feed mine Burns. I find it to be a good food. I can get a 15kg bag for €47 - this will feed 3 cockers for 6 weeks.

I used to feed them Red Mills Leader (around €36 for a 15kg). Although they ate the food their stools weren't great and they were going to the toliet alot more.

I find with the Burns they eat less, coats are better and they go to the toliet less. With Red Mills the feeding guidelines suggest you feed more so Burns actually works out better cost wise in the long run.

Also Burns has better quality ingredients. Red Mills Leader (which is suppose to be their top brand) is full of animal and cereal derivatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I get the budget Salmon and Potato from Brendaspets.ie It's €37 for 15kg and my girl with a dodgy belly does better on that than anything else I've tried, and I've tried everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'd second the opinions on Burns - we use the chicken and rice version which was the only thing one of our dogs with megaesophagus could stomach - very digestible and not alot required to fill them up - same price as the Royal Canin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

With regards Burns, you get one 15kg bag of chicken & brown rice on zooplus.co.uk for €49.56.

If you buy two, it works out at €43.80 per bag. Plus free delivery.

(I get mine for €47 in a local vetfarm shop.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

kylith wrote: »
    I get the budget Salmon and Potato from Brendaspets.ie It's €37 for 15kg and my girl with a dodgy belly does better on that than anything else I've tried, and I've tried everything.

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you find the "bugdet food" on www.brendaspets.ie give them dodgy poo? I haven't used it but someone said to me it gave their dog slimy poo, and I was hoping to try it myself but would like to get more than one review!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I find the Aldi dog food goes down well with my two. They like it and it agrees with their digestive system (if you get what I mean) so would definitely recommend giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the replies. Poos are good & solid & easy to collect with the Royal Canin so will need to get similar results from whatever I try. Thanks for the suggestions.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you find the "bugdet food" on www.brendaspets.ie give them dodgy poo? I haven't used it but someone said to me it gave their dog slimy poo, and I was hoping to try it myself but would like to get more than one review!
    I find it fantastic. The elder of my two got runny poo from JWB, Arden Grange, Orijen, Royal Canin, and just about anything else you care to name, and got terribly constipated on Eukanuba*. I have her on Brenda's Pets budget Salmon and Potato now and her poo is 99% perfect 99% of the time. It's a big relief for me to see that her 'output' is finally normal.

*Before anyone says about switching foods a lot; I didn't just switch over. I ordered the new food while I still had about a week's of the old one left and so introduced the new one gradually, and they were on each new food for about 3 weeks before I assessed how they were doing

Advertisement