Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JEB From EDI Teaching Diploma in Information Technology

Options
  • 24-04-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi I am considering doing the Jeb teaching diploma in HSI Limerick in October. I am wondering if anyone has done it and if so what kind of job opportunities are out of it.

I would like to teach computers to mature students ie Adult Education and wondering if this is the right course to get me started.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I realise it's a while since you posted but maybe you check back every so often.

I did that course but in Kilkenny. It's an ok course but we only discovered after doing it that there if you want to register with FAS as a trainer you need either the Train the Trainer or Certified Professional Course (CTP).

Considering FAS funded my doing the JEB you'd think they would have pointed me in the direction of the others and hence I would be useful to them and they would have got something out of paying for my course. But then that is FAS all over. No point in relying on them as the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Thanks for your reply. This course was recommended to me by 2 career guidance people, as i explained to them what I wanted to do. With train the trainer it seems you are not qualified to teach in any specific area it only helps you to organise training lessons.

Has anyone one done train the trainer or CP course and if so what are the job prospects.

Thanks.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

Maggiesims wrote: »
    Hi I am considering doing the Jeb teaching diploma in HSI Limerick in October. ....I would like to teach computers to mature students ie Adult Education and wondering if this is the right course to get me started.

Hi, from my working knowledge of the area - the JEB is only worth doing if the following applies:

I. You have excellent computer skills - at a minimum these should include Advanced Certificates in at least 3 of the following:

i. Word Processing
    ii. Internet
    iii. Exel
    iv. Access
    v. File Management
    vi. Publisher
    vii. Powerpoint

II. The following personal attributes are also useful:

i. Patience
    ii. Good communication skills
    iii. Patience
    iv. Good interpersonal skills
    v. Patience
    vi. The ability to think outside the box
    vii. Patience
    viii.The ability to plan lessons that will appeal equally to a 20 year old and an 80 year old (age profile in some of
    my classes!!)
    ix. Patience
    x. A good sense of humour helps!

Finally, whilst FAS might require you to complete "Train the Trainer" - many other providers - including the VECs do not!! However, check with your local one before commencing the course if you are not sure.

Providers want to see someone with a thorough knowledge of their subject area -and an ability to communicate it in a clear, concise and friendly manner.

N.B.: There are many providers offering the JEB. Stay away from any who offers you a place if you do not hold at least some advanced certification in the above packages. You will be competing for jobs against people with the JEB and all of the above and more...you will not even get an interview!! However, if you have the required certification and the ability to communicate your message to a diverse range of learners -then go for it - it is a very rewarding area of work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 reallyuseful

Hi, I agree with Vinoveritas. I have taught on this course and many of the students did not have the required level of computer knowledge. They expected that they would actually learn computer skills as part of the course. That is not the case.

The JEB is an excellent course and many people who complete it do train in computer applications but usually in their own organisations. I do not believe that a training company or a VEC college would accept it as a sufficient qualification for a role .

Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Due to recently implemented legislation all adult education practitioners are required to be eligible for registration with the Teaching Council. as a result the VEC's are tending to recruit people with Level 7 & 8 degrees minimum. Existing teachers/ tutors have until 2013 to commence upskilling to this level.

The exemption to this are in areas where there may not be any third level qualification/education readily available, e.g. Hairdressing. In these cases a senior Trades cert and a minimum number of years experience in work are required.

There is also a national working group looking at devising a range of courses to qualify practitioners to the required level without the necessity to re-enter long-term /fulltime education themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 martin70

Hi, I agree with Vinoveritas. I have taught on this course and many of the students did not have the required level of computer knowledge. They expected that they would actually learn computer skills as part of the course. That is not the case.

The JEB is an excellent course and many people who complete it do train in computer applications but usually in their own organisations. I do not believe that a training company or a VEC college would accept it as a sufficient qualification for a role .

Hope this helps:)

Hi,
    I am considering doing the EDI/JEB Teacher's Diploma in Information Technology.
    Teaching computers is something I would love to get into and was wondering what route you took and what is the right course to get me started in , either the “EDI/JEB” or “Train The Trainer”.
    From your message you have good working knowledge in this area of IT.
    I have excellent computer skills for 7 years and have achieved the following Certificates.
    · Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Certified
    · Microsoft Office Word 2007 Certified
    · Microsoft Office Access2007 Certified
    · Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 Certified
    · Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Certified
    · Microsoft Windows Vista Certified
    Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    Thanks.

Advertisement