Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid flight prices to Greece

• 25-04-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭

Want to go to Zante for 2 weeks in Sept, have accommodation sorted over there.

Falcon want 499euro per person for return flights, Sunworld want 440return!!!

WTF is this all about, flights from Manchester are about 160return.

I did email Falcon and ask tell them that due to the current climate and recession i would like to offer 300euro return, but they were having none of it and said that was final price.

I guess now that Budget have gone these other companies are really gonna be pushing prices up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

scudzilla wrote: »
    Want to go to Zante for 2 weeks in Sept, have accommodation sorted over there.

Falcon want 499euro per person for return flights, Sunworld want 440return!!!

WTF is this all about, flights from Manchester are about 160return.

I did email Falcon and ask tell them that due to the current climate and recession i would like to offer 300euro return, but they were having none of it and said that was final price.

I guess now that Budget have gone these other companies are really gonna be pushing prices up
    This may sound like a stupid question but can you not buy the tickets from Manchester to Greece and then get cheap return tickets from Dublin to Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

carrolls wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question but can you not buy the tickets from Manchester to Greece and then get cheap return tickets from Dublin to Manchester?

Nah, The flight times are not great from Manchester, very early departures so would mean a hotel the night before.

Also, to take a 20kg suitcase on a ryanair/Aer Lingus flight just bumps up the flight, make that return and it's more or less the same as flying from here, with the extra hassle.

They're just ripping us off charging 500 lids for a return flight to greece, fcuk, i can go return to New York for a few quid more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why are you trying retail travel agencies instead of going directly for the airplane companies?

A quick google got me 472 GBP with taxes for two people Dublin - Zakynthos with out even trying on http://www.flightline.co.uk (the first site I picked) and I'm sure you could do better if you look around.

Nody wrote: »
    Why are you trying retail travel agencies instead of going directly for the airplane companies?

A quick google got me 472 GBP with taxes for two people Dublin - Zakynthos with out even trying on http://www.flightline.co.uk (the first site I picked) and I'm sure you could do better if you look around.

Just checked that, it's 472GBP PER PERSON, also not direct flights, leave Dublin at 13:40 one day, arrive in Zante at 06:55 the next. No thanks.

My argument is, so as not to get this moved to the travel thread, is why are we getting ripped off in this country over holidays and flights? Sure fuel is more or less the same cost as it is in UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

what are the details of the manchester flights? firstly the travel agent is looking for a cut so that adds to the price? also did you ask the travel agency for flight itenary?it might include a stop over that will increase the price also?

also the flight your booking with the travel agency is probably a charter flight and at a reasonale time again a priceing factor.

travelling direct with an airline they increase the prices as the time through the day get to a more "friendly" time.

it kind of profiteering but what choice have we?im still interesting in the manchester details

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The price is the price, doesn't really matter how much it costs from Manchester because you don't live in Manchester. You may as well say ''oh it's only 100 from Athens!''.

If you've already got a place to stay then a two week holiday for less than 500 isn't all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

maybe the reason the manchester flights are so cheap is because they are at ridiculous times and therefore no one wants them thus the flights are going cheap.

there are zillions of options to get to greece from dublin - try dublin - milan - greece or dublin - germany - greece, or dublin - luton - greece

if you want a cheap price be prepared for a bit of work instead of assuming that companies will bend over backwards for you.

Can someone PLEASE explain where the rip-off is in this thread????

The mods should delete threads like this.

A quick trawl through various fligh options in the UK show average prices in september of about £380 (€450). Irish Price = av. €465

The OP found ONE SINGLE flight that goes at a totally unsuiable time for most people and expects every other provider of a similar flight to do the same at peak flight times just because he want it.

He then compares the price quoted to the lowest possible price offered on transatlantic routes.

GET A FRIGGIN GRIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The travel agents you mentioned don't typically sell flights on their own. They're more interested in selling you the entire package.

91011 wrote: »
    Can someone PLEASE explain where the rip-off is in this thread????

The mods should delete threads like this.

A quick trawl through various fligh options in the UK show average prices in september of about £380 (€450). Irish Price = av. €465

The OP found ONE SINGLE flight that goes at a totally unsuiable time for most people and expects every other provider of a similar flight to do the same at peak flight times just because he want it.

He then compares the price quoted to the lowest possible price offered on transatlantic routes.

GET A FRIGGIN GRIP

OK, you obviously need this explaining to you, where the rip off is.

Thomas Cook operate flights for Falcon here in Ireland, they quoted me €499 return per person

On a search for Thomas Cook flights from Manchester they come in at £217 return per person, (i've attached a pretty picture below to assist you)

That is less than half the price of it's Irish arm of the company

TO ME THAT IS A RIP OFF!!!!!

flight-1.jpg

• Advertisement

maybe the reason the manchester flights are so cheap is because they are at ridiculous times and therefore no one wants them thus the flights are going cheap.

there are zillions of options to get to greece from dublin - try dublin - milan - greece or dublin - germany - greece, or dublin - luton - greece

if you want a cheap price be prepared for a bit of work instead of assuming that companies will bend over backwards for you.

And i don't want to go to Greece via London,Amsterdam,Milan and Athens, i just want a straight flight, simple request really

you're still comparing flights from a UK airport (different country than Ireland with 60 MILLION inhabitants) at unsuitable flight times with flights from Dublin airport at peak flight times in a country with 4 million people.

Try another date and you'll probably find Manchester will be more expensive than Dublin.

€440 return including taxes & baggage is quite reasonable.

You could take a gamble and bet that there wil, still be seats available the week beforehand and get a last minute deal, but this CRAP comparing one country with another for a totally different product is exactly that - CRAP.

Maybe I should say that London ripped me off when charged £10.20 for glass of wine & pint of guinness when my local charge €7.40 for the same thing???

you're still comparing flights from a UK airport (different country than Ireland with 60 MILLION inhabitants) at unsuitable flight times with flights from Dublin airport at peak flight times in a country with 4 million people.

Try another date and you'll probably find Manchester will be more expensive than Dublin.

€440 return including taxes & baggage is quite reasonable.

You could take a gamble and bet that there wil, still be seats available the week beforehand and get a last minute deal, but this CRAP comparing one country with another for a totally different product is exactly that - CRAP.

Maybe I should say that London ripped me off when charged £10.20 for glass of wine & pint of guinness when my local charge €7.40 for the same thing???

2066.gif

Quoted from sticky on this forum :-

What this forum is for is to discuss when consumers have been ripped off because of high prices. Ripoff Ireland forum was started to discuss the rediculously hihg prices of goods and services in Ireland compared to our European neighbours and mainly came about because of our change to Euro and the fact it was easier to see the price differences.

Shall i draw some pictures for you to understand where i'm coming from??

No. 1 - Check the meaning of a rip off

No. 2 - Check the average price of prices to Zanthe from other European Airports on the same dates at the same times.

No. 3 - By your meaning of rip-off, you are being ripped off on the manchester flight as the flight on the way out is half the price of the return. Surely you're being ripped off on the return leg! :rolleyes:

€440 return to a regional greek airport including luggage & taxes from Dublin airport is a reasonable price. You are not being forced to take it and there are many other ways of getting to your destination.

But it is NOT a rip off under any form of thinking.

No. 1 - Check the meaning of a rip off

No. 2 - Check the average price of prices to Zanthe from other European Airports on the same dates at the same times.

No. 3 - By your meaning of rip-off, you are being ripped off on the manchester flight as the flight on the way out is half the price of the return. Surely you're being ripped off on the return leg! :rolleyes:

€440 return to a regional greek airport including luggage & taxes from Dublin airport is a reasonable price. You are not being forced to take it and there are many other ways of getting to your destination.

But it is NOT a rip off under any form of thinking.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me :rolleyes:, i won't bother posting in this forum again, job well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nah, The flight times are not great from Manchester, very early departures so would mean a hotel the night before.

Also, to take a 20kg suitcase on a ryanair/Aer Lingus flight just bumps up the flight, make that return and it's more or less the same as flying from here, with the extra hassle.

They're just ripping us off charging 500 lids for a return flight to greece, fcuk, i can go return to New York for a few quid more

Then go to New York then.

Jaysus wtf like :)
    I was looking at Amsterdam - Munich vs Duesseldorf Munich, it was cheaper to go from Amsterdam than it was from Duesseldorf.

Get over it, its not a ripoff its just the way flights are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

And i don't want to go to Greece via London,Amsterdam,Milan and Athens, i just want a straight flight, simple request really
    Yes, you want simple convenience, and I would expect to pay a lot more for less hassle. You already explained the added costs to go via the UK. I would not do my weekly shopping up north because of the associated costs.
    That would be more interesting, and NOT schipol etc. Comparing to these is like moaning that a watch battery costs more in Weirs than the €2 shop.

Advertisement