Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me figure this out?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could help me, my da showed me a card trick when i was 15 and never explained how to do it, not even the name of it. I'd like to learn how to do it, hopefully someone will be able to help me.

The trick is he lays out 3 cards, tells you that each card is in position 1,2 or 3.

he goes and turns his back. At this point your allowed one free swap where you can swap any two cards into new positions. From then on you have to call what cards you're swapping ie 1-3,3-2,2-3. If that makes any sense can anyone help me?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

how does it finish up ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

he comes over and flips over the very first card you pick before you make your free move. Sorry i forgot to mention that

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

some form of monte ?? maybe someone else can nail it down further

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

I was wondering if anyone could help me, my da showed me a card trick when i was 15 and never explained how to do it, not even the name of it. I'd like to learn how to do it, hopefully someone will be able to help me.

The trick is he lays out 3 cards, tells you that each card is in position 1,2 or 3.

he goes and turns his back. At this point your allowed one free swap where you can swap any two cards into new positions. From then on you have to call what cards you're swapping ie 1-3,3-2,2-3. If that makes any sense can anyone help me?

Is this it??

"Effect
    A pack of playing cards, which may be borrowed, is completely mixed, shuffled and cut by as many spectators as desired. Eventually any three cards are selected from the deck and the deck is put aside.
    The three selected cards are placed face down in a row on top of the table. You explain that you will turn your back, and the participant is to pick up any one card, look at it and remember it, and then place it back on the table face down in exactly the same position. They have then to swap over the OTHER two cards.
    In that way all three cards have been touched once.
    Once they have done this you turn around to face them again and give them the opportunity to move the cards around again if they wish. Once they have done this and are satisfied. You pick up the three cards one at a time, and hand them one card. It is their chosen card.
    It is a remarkable and very clean looking effect and is of course instantly repeatable."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mayfire wrote: »
    Is this it??

"Effect
    A pack of playing cards, which may be borrowed, is completely mixed, shuffled and cut by as many spectators as desired. Eventually any three cards are selected from the deck and the deck is put aside.
    The three selected cards are placed face down in a row on top of the table. You explain that you will turn your back, and the participant is to pick up any one card, look at it and remember it, and then place it back on the table face down in exactly the same position. They have then to swap over the OTHER two cards.
    In that way all three cards have been touched once.
    Once they have done this you turn around to face them again and give them the opportunity to move the cards around again if they wish. Once they have done this and are satisfied. You pick up the three cards one at a time, and hand them one card. It is their chosen card.
    It is a remarkable and very clean looking effect and is of course instantly repeatable."
    Thats very close to it with the exception he doesn face you till he flips your card and you can swap them as much as you want as long as you call the positions from after you look at your card and get a free swap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

The above I have in a book by David Lees and the trick is called "One From Three" but there is also a version on Banacheks PSI Series DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I think horgan's right...I reckon it's just a form of monte. You lay out the three cards, but you mark one slightly...say by bending a corner ever so slightly, note where that card is (it's your key card) and then turn your back. You're allowed one free swap. This is why you need the key card. Basically you know if it hasn't move, to rearrange the other two, and if it has, you know where it's moved to. The rest of the trick is just remembering what numbers you call out

Advertisement