Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liz Nolan on Lyric fm

• 25-04-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

As I commute to work in the mornings, and the news on RTE1 gets to depressing, and the traffic reports on Dublin City FM become too repetitive, my next port of call would usually be Lyric FM.

The morning time presenter Liz Nolan is a class act...her diction is so clear, effortlessly pronouncing all those foreign names and titles!

As far as classical music goes, I would be more of a "middlebrow", preferring lively orchestral music more so than long piano pieces or heavy choral music. But it's good to have a soothing alternative to the above-mentioned stations and to the often over-bearing DJ's on pop stations.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've been listening to Lyric in the morning for years - I definitely wake up a little less grumpy because of it. I like Carl Corcoran when he used to be on. Liz is good though. I object to the headlines in the papers and the traffic reports though. I can switch Morning Ireland easily if I need this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I'm in agreement! She's great. As are all the solid presenters on Lyric who just play the classical music and get on with it. Pity about Marty Whelan and the other attempts to turn a perfectly good public service broadcaster into a heap of MOR crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fridgeraider

Yes I agree with the OP. It's nice to have Lyric as an alternative too. All that depressing stuff on the current affairs shows. And you need to be in the mood for the typical breakfast show zaniness that goes on. Liz is an oasis of calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I've been listening to Lyric in the morning for years - I definitely wake up a little less grumpy because of it. I like Carl Corcoran when he used to be on. Liz is good though. I object to the headlines in the papers and the traffic reports though. I can switch Morning Ireland easily if I need this.

Speaking of Carl Corcoran, I was not a fan, and it is his fault that I stoppped listening to Lyric in the mornings, for a time!

I used to cringe when he'd talk about sending a text in for some competition or other and he'd say, " don't forget the key word, 'Carl'"
    Ugh!
    Like he was "it", the bee's knees..no, glad when he moved on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I know what you meant, Cucina.
    Actually, tangent gripe, why can lyric not have its own domain? I cringe when I hear their email, eg breakfast.lyric@rte.ie

It's fussy and considering their target audience would have a lot of older people, if they want email, they need to make it simpler.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

I'm in agreement! She's great. As are all the solid presenters on Lyric who just play the classical music and get on with it. Pity about Marty Whelan and the other attempts to turn a perfectly good public service broadcaster into a heap of MOR crap.

I don't know what MOR stands for but the lunch time show on Lyric now is too full of talk (usually inane), I find it difficult to listen to anymore, it's a show for a personality rather than music.

Advertisement