Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare Outlet

Options
  • 25-04-2010 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

First time to Kildare Outlet Village yesterday after hearing plenty of advertising on the radio during the past week.

We went to 4 different outlets and can only say majority of the four only contribute to 'Rip-Off' Ireland.

1) Levis: Tried to buy jeans there, but was amazed at the prices. They were offering a pair for about €46 with an ad stating buy one, buy the 2nd for 1/2 price, which means about €70 for 2 pairs of jeans. Sure, I know this is a lot cheaper than in the past, but I was in JC Penney a few months ago, and there they were selling Levis for $24 with the same option of buy one buy the 2nd for 1/2 price, IE buy 2 pairs of Levis for $36.

2) Ralph Lauren: What a rip-off!! I again was at one of their outlets in New Hampshire, and quite literally can say there is simply no comparison.

But for me the worst was:

3) The restaurant, called L'Officina. Most most disappointing!! Sat down to a dirty table, and after table set up was given a dirty fork. That may be a mistake, which I can allow for, but then the servings were minute and prices were really over the top - remember this is an outlet, not Grafton Street. For me, a restaurant advertises its fare and prices outside the establishment ( which L'Officina does), and I have no problem with this, as long as one leaves the restaurant with a full belly. Sadly, this place ( for me) is a real let down - perhaps it's suffering from lack of competition, I don't know, but I do know one thing - I won't be going there ever again.

There was one bright light for me - Clarkes. I thought the shop was well kitted out, nice staff, and competitive prices.

The centre was well run, saw cleaners cleaning up on a continuous basis, nice flower arrangements, lots of park attendants. Overall, the running of the centre is top notch, BUT for me, some of the 'outlets' really need to take a look at themselves, and boy does it need competition in the food department!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    First time to Kildare Outlet Village yesterday after hearing plenty of advertising on the radio during the past week.

We went to 4 different outlets and can only say majority of the four only contribute to 'Rip-Off' Ireland.

1) Levis: Tried to buy jeans there, but was amazed at the prices. They were offering a pair for about €46 with an ad stating buy one, buy the 2nd for 1/2 price, which means about €70 for 2 pairs of jeans. Sure, I know this is a lot cheaper than in the past, but I was in JC Penney a few months ago, and there they were selling Levis for $24 with the same option of buy one buy the 2nd for 1/2 price, IE buy 2 pairs of Levis for $36.

2) Ralph Lauren: What a rip-off!! I again was at one of their outlets in New Hampshire, and quite literally can say there is simply no comparison.

3) The restaurant, called L'Officina. Most most disappointing!! Sat down to a dirty table, and after table set up was given a dirty fork. That may be a mistake, which I can allow for, but then the servings were minute and prices were really over the top - remember this is an outlet, not Grafton Street. For me, a restaurant advertises its fare and prices outside the establishment ( which L'Officina does), and I have no problem with this, as long as one leaves the restaurant with a full belly. Sadly, this place ( for me) is a real let down - perhaps it's suffering from lack of competition, I don't know, but I do know one thing - I won't be going there ever again.

There was one bright light for me - Clarkes. I thought the shop was well kitted out, nice staff, and competitive prices.

The centre was well run, saw cleaners cleaning up on a continuous basis, nice flower arrangements, lots of park attendants. Overall, the running of the centre is top notch, BUT for me, some of the 'outlets' really need to take a look at themselves, and boy does it need competition in the food department!!

Ah come on, you can't compare prices to US outlets....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

I have to agree with this. We traveled all the way from Cork and found The Kildare outlet very disappointing. Prices were very expensive for a outlet center. Although the place itself is very clean and plenty of parking I wouldn't be going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Irish retail doesn't know the meaning of sale, outlet or value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

First time to post and a rant at that? Maybe you should have taken it to Consumer>Rip of Ireland? It is an outlet with outlet prices, have you tried to purchase any of those goods on the High St or in dept stores that stock them?
    Kildare village can't be compared to any outlet in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

As others have said, you cannot seriously expect the prices to be comparable to US malls! Try comparing the prices to Grafton St, Dundrum or Mahon Point and then see if they offer value. I think it's a great place and have bought many things at much better prices than in the big stores.

• Advertisement

You can't compare it to the US. But even in the US outlets only have good deals some of the time. Hit it on the wrong day and theres no bargains. Thats my experience anyway.

The Kidare outlet didn't seem that cheap to me, the few times I've called into ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

L'Officina /Dunne and Crescenzi in Kildare Outlet and Dundrum are amazing .Absolutely love them ...dirty fork ...fair enough ,not great,oversight by waiter having bad day ,portion size not to your liking either but youve got to admit the food is gorgeous...
    Youd be hard pressed to get better Italian food between Dublin and Kilkenny !Class act!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Also this is a DESIGNER outlet and as such nothing including the food is going to be at bargain basement prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I like the place,albeit i am in the Whitewater S.C most of the time but i have been 2-3 times only and have bought random bits from kids Gold Nike boots to a balloon shaped whisk!
    I window shop in these styled places but if i find something good i`ll buy it.
    Don`t ever feel like you have to support their exaggerated **Discounted** prices.
    I would have bought some Levi`s a few months back but after sifting through 200 or so pairs all were 30W 30L!i gave up.
    The shops in the Outlet are mostly were the surplus stock from mainstreet sister shops has not shifted and is passed on to them to grace their stores shelves till 6 months or so go by or 3 coaches of tax free Asian tourists will snap them up.
    I pity anyone who travels a good distance to get to the Outlet,i`d advise your local TK Maxx would suffice many instead.
    If you do go,the Nike Shop and the Kitchen Shop ain`t bad,worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

There are 60 stores in the centre and you made up your mind by just visiting 4???

Ralph Lauren - prices don't seem to be much different to US outlets.

example - US price for ol shirts $39.99 + sales tax (las Vegas Premium outlets) - Kildare €34.99 including 21% vat.

Ralph Lauren mens shirts - USA price $39.99 - $49.99 + sales tax. Kildare price €44.99 including 21% VAT

At 1.32 rate of exchange, there's feck all difference in these prices.

Levi's - Which model??? - the Kildare outlet regularly have ranges for €25 or less. The 501's are €46 and I belive the USA price for tese are about the same.

Did you check Jack Wills? LaCoste? Northface? Le Creuset? Cat Kidson? Molton Brown? etc etc etc... all very well priced for what they are.

IMO the worst shop in the centre is Clarks as the styles they sell are dreadful and none of the "international" ranges that are sold in Irish clarks shops are sold in the outlet, just the sh1te that Clarks sell in their mass amrket UK shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

I live nearby the outlet and rarely visit it as I agree it's overpriced. That said, I'm surprised to learn there are 60 shops as it really doesn't look like it when you walk around. It is an outdoor centre. To be honest, the only shops I really visit are Clarks (which is great for kids shoes as I really don't feel the need to pay €48 for shoes they'll outgrow quickly - so if you have kids, go here; have to agree on the adults shoes, a bit outdated but you could probably find something from time to time); Coast and Karen Millen, Monsoon and Nike.

If I heard someone travelling a great distance just to go to the outlet, I'd probably tell them to skip it or save themselves a journey. If, however, you're on the N7 and passing by then do drop into it. Until it gets bigger or the prices come down and the selections get better in the shops it just not worth it unless you live nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd agree with most of what's been said before. I definitely wouldn't travel a distance to go to it as there's not much to be had. However, I think the guys' shops are better than the ladies' shops. My brother and OH will go there to buy shirts and ties, which always seem to be good value (considering high street prices for less quality items).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

hear hear. you might get lucky there but in general you are looking at 'special offers' of 10% off.

ytareh wrote: »
    Also this is a DESIGNER outlet and as such nothing including the food is going to be at bargain basement prices...

why not? i have been to outlet centres in Europe and there was 50% off designer clothes as well as other offers which made it worthwhile going there.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    why not? i have been to outlet centres in Europe and there was 50% off designer clothes as well as other offers which made it worthwhile going there.

the kildare outlets is run by the same company as the main outlets in europe and have the exact same philosophy.

why Irish people seem to always think things are better in other countries is beyond belief.

take it for what it is - primarily designer brands selling excess / past season stock at a minimum of 30% off recommended retail prices in a country of 4 million people. - it won't a be as large as la Vallee or bicester, (both owned by same company) but its worth dropping by even if it just for a look.

like most outlets, you can be lucky & unlucky - I got a great coat in Northface for €90, reduced from over €200. Nike runners for €30 - reduced from €80, nespresso machine for €80 reduced from over €200. (last September).

Don't expect cheap prices or cheap goods, don't compare it to chain stores products and don't expect food to be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I think 91011, you and I will agree to disagree. You questioned my surmise based on 4 shops being visited, when there are 60 there? I went as I wanted some pants for work, so visiting all the outlets was a wasted exercise. First port of call was Clarkes for some shoes for my little one, then across the Mall to Levis. Yes, you are right, the 501's are €46, but the jeans I mentioned in my original submission was also 501 and they were $24.
    Re the 'designer' restaurant: I feel any restaurant that can justify asking €6 for a bowl of soup needs to take a reality check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I think 91011, you and I will agree to disagree. You questioned my surmise based on 4 shops being visited, when there are 60 there? I went as I wanted some pants for work, so visiting all the outlets was a wasted exercise. First port of call was Clarkes for some shoes for my little one, then across the Mall to Levis. Yes, you are right, the 501's are €46, but the jeans I mentioned in my original submission was also 501 and they were $24.
    Re the 'designer' restaurant: I feel any restaurant that can justify asking €6 for a bowl of soup needs to take a reality check.

6 quid for a bowl of soup??!!!

Tell me they at least let you keep the bowl and spoon?:D

As for the Kildare Village, I really think its a designer outlet designed for those that think Ireland is still in full Celtic Tiger mode. Reebok, Nike and Clarkes excepted. The rest is like a different planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To be fair most of the stuff in Kildare Village is a lot cheaper than it would be in town. Take Quicksilver for example; compare the price of their stuff in Kildare Village to the same stuff in Tribe in St Stephens Green and youll see what I mean.

Its an outlet store, not a bargain basement. The stuff is cheaper than it is in high street stores which is the idea; its not intended for you to find a €100 pair of jeans for a tenner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I've found that there's definite bargains to be found!

Picked up Oakley Snowboard Goggles for bout €60, normally about €140, same with a Quicksilver jacket!

But I agree with others, no point comparing to US outlets....compare the prices with Grafton St. & Dundrum etc...

djimi wrote: »
    To be fair most of the stuff in Kildare Village is a lot cheaper than it would be in town. Take Quicksilver for example; compare the price of their stuff in Kildare Village to the same stuff in Tribe in St Stephens Green and youll see what I mean.

Its an outlet store, not a bargain basement. The stuff is cheaper than it is in high street stores which is the idea; its not intended for you to find a €100 pair of jeans for a tenner...

they have jeans there with 10 euro off, which is taking the mick. people come from far and wide and what is the point if they are not saving any real money? i am used to outlet centres with up to 60% off designer clothes, which last seasons anyway.
    with sports goods you can get lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

they have jeans there with 10 euro off, which is taking the mick. people come from far and wide and what is the point if they are not saving any real money? i am used to outlet centres with up to 60% off designer clothes, which last seasons anyway.
    with sports goods you can get lucky.

I just think youre being a bit unrealistic in what you are expecting to find. There are bargains to be had, but its not a "60% off EVERYTHING!!!" bargain basement style place; the stuff is cheaper than in the high street but theyre not giving it away.

And while some stuff might not be the best bargain, you can get other stuff for next to nothing.

djimi wrote: »
    I just think youre being a bit unrealistic in what you are expecting to find. There are bargains to be had, but its not a "60% off EVERYTHING!!!" bargain basement style place; the stuff is cheaper than in the high street but theyre not giving it away.

And while some stuff might not be the best bargain, you can get other stuff for next to nothing.

its an outlet or supposed to be and outlets in my experience are 'bargain basement style places'.its supposed to be significantly cheaper, thats the attraction,yet they behave as if the celtic tiger is still in full swing. people are starting to have a problem with that.
    i know a lot of shopaholics that simply avoid the place as a result.

i don't disagree that some shops actually do have special offers, but most of them do not.

Northern Ireland is the only real outlet and that depends on teh exhange rate.18 months ago i saved a fortune by going there.

Northern Ireland is the only real outlet and that depends on teh exhange rate.18 months ago i saved a fortune by going there.

if its "The Outlet" in Banbridge, I was there a couple of times and found virtually nothing that interested me at all except Timberland and evn then they were £69 for a pair of shoes that €120 in Dundrum - a saving but not a big one. The Marks & spenser store there is utter crap and the Nike store has same prices & same stock as Kildare - same with samsonite store.

Outlets stores sell at a minimum of 30% off retail prices (same policy worldwide in cluding Banbridge), howevr in these more competitive times, regular retailers are discounting, so the savings to be had from outlest are not as big as they normally are - but its due to discounts offered elsewhere rather than the outlets themselves being any different than they were.

My only previous experience of a proper outlets was in the States. I thought the whole point was to sell off stuff very cheap. Thats why you go. The Kildare outlet isn't really and outlet in the same way. Its really just another shopping center.

In the same way a sale thats on 365 days a year, using tricks to raise prices then drop them back to their original prices, to get around calling
    it sale. Isn't really a sale.

We're just poor consumers in Ireland. We accept any old crud.

I started this thread as I had been hearing all the previous week on the radio the advert by KO that they were having a 'SALE' of 'up to 60%' over and above their discounts (sorry, I cannot remember the exact words the advert used).

THATS what brought me to KO in the first place. And as I said I was very disappointed with the prices I saw.

I agree with BostonB, that the only real outlets are in the USA. For me, KO must just decide what the hell it is. All I know is it's making a mockery of the 'outlet' concept.

And for what it's worth, the sooner they get another restaurant there the better. I spoke to a number of people about this, and I keep hearing they go into Kildare town to eat, anything but the expensive eatery in KO.

It's sad, the concept is a good one. I do accept the clothes on sale there might be from last year's 'in thing' - so what? Thats why I and I am sure, many others go there in the first place.

II agree with BostonB, that the only real outlets are in the USA. For me, KO must just decide what the hell it is. All I know is it's making a mockery of the 'outlet' concept.

And for what it's worth, the sooner they get another restaurant there the better. I spoke to a number of people about this, and I keep hearing they go into Kildare town to eat, anything but the expensive eatery in KO.
    It defnitely needs more food places, but I think its constrained by planning. Kildare Town is 200 metres from the back of Nike via a walkway and there are loads of decent places including Silkne Thomas, Hartes & Cunninghams all with decent specials.

As for comparing with USA - its not possible. There is duty on clothing imported into europe, prices in kildare include 21% vat (in USA sales tax of up to 13% is added at the till).

I didn't go at the weekend but wifey did she got 2 jumpers in ralph lauren for €30 each - reduced from original price of €129.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i was there today, some stores are better than others. itll never be as cheap as outlets in the states but its cheaper than what you'll pay on grafton st. i got some stuff in ralph lauren and quiksilver(which i found very good) today, if you need sportswear the nike had good bargains.

I went back there today, and I have to say it was an enjoyable afternoon. We got what we wanted, then sat down to ice cream and coffee from the mobile in the square opposite the Levi's shop. Beautiful surroundings, spotlessly clean, flower arrangement a joy to behold, all under a beautiful warm sun.

But, something is missing there. I am not sure what, we only went, did our thing and left. Nothing there to draw us, nothing to keep us there.

Sad really, could really be something exceptional.

Advertisement