Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food suggestions for 9 wk old puppy pls

Options
  • 25-04-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    we're collecting our new puppy today:-) a 9 week old Maltese crossed with a Shih Tzu. She's currently being fed a breeder's food(Gaine's or something?).
    I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good quality dry puppy food(and where we might get it) that will be reasonably easy to get hold of. Maxizoo(nearly sure that's the name) is fairly close to us.

Love all the advice from these forums.

Thanks.
    J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

jolo wrote: »
    Hi,
    we're collecting our new puppy today:-) a 9 week old Maltese crossed with a Shih Tzu. She's currently being fed a breeder's food(Gaine's or something?).
    I'd appreciate some recommendations for a good quality dry puppy food(and where we might get it) that will be reasonably easy to get hold of. Maxizoo(nearly sure that's the name) is fairly close to us.

Love all the advice from these forums.

Thanks.
    J.

I have a 9 week old cocker. I am feeding her Burns MiniBites. Costs around €10 for a 2kg bag. You can get it in alot of vets. Check this site http://www.burnsireland.com/ for a list of stockists. (This site is also useful www.burnspet.co.uk) Also can get Burns on zooplus.ie or zooplus.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Good dog food brands - Burns, Royal Canin, James Wellbwloved, Hills Science Plan or Arden Grange, all of which do a "puppy" variety of food. Some have specific foods for the smaller breeds too. Please try to steer clear of the supermarket brands (Pedigree etc.) because they are very low quality.

When you are switching foods, do it over a period of a few days, or even a week of two, to prevent a dodgy belly and get your new pup used to the new food. Gradually increase the new food and decrease the old food each day until you are only feeding the new food.

Decent foods can be purchased at most good pet stores (like Maxizoo), vet practices or online (www.zooplus.ie or www.zooplus.co.uk, www.brendaspets.ie etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thank you for the replies. However the plans have changed.

The puppy is now a 12 week old PB Shih Tzu(unwanted gift:-(!) She's been away from the mother and breeder about 2 weeks and is being fed and has been Pedigree puppy food in jelly! I know it's not good. I'm hoping we can offer her a better more wanted home and try to address the food slowly.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

Hi there is a fantastic food called Orijen it is really good very high quality food!My 2 dogs are on it and doing great beautiful shiny coats and healthy stools. It is quite expensive but you end up feeding less of it so works out the same or cheaper as most other "top dog foods".There is 3 different adult falours and they have trial size bags for you to try to make sure you like it.

The other dog food I would recommend is royal canin I spoke with a vet in ucd where is study about various foods and he said that royal canin had improved and is a better food now. It also does alot of breed specific foods which is very handy!:)

I get my mine from a pet shop in Dun laoghaire in Dublin which seems to have very competitive prices so I'm happy and my dogs are happier getting the best!:)

Advertisement