Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Birmingham City, 12.00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    a win for city midweek and its gonna be in our own hands i reckon

That's not until the week after, and even then it's not in our hands unless Spurs drop points against Bolton or Burnley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    That's not until the week after, and even then it's not in our hands unless Spurs drop points against Bolton or Burnley.

if city do them i cant see spurs taking maximum points from those 2

the pressure would be ridiculous on them. each of the 3 teams involved does better when chasing, rather than leading

id nearly say the team in 4th at kick off on the last day wont get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Excellent stuff, Villa tired after 3 games in a week but still enough to show blues who's boss.

UTV

Indeed, the ref!!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Indeed, the ref!!!!

about bleedin time we got a bit of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

oh martin. wat is he talking about!

if city do them i cant see spurs taking maximum points from those 2

the pressure would be ridiculous on them. each of the 3 teams involved does better when chasing, rather than leading

id nearly say the team in 4th at kick off on the last day wont get it

I just don't see how Spurs cannot beat a relegated Burnley and a safe Bolton.
    But I live in hope. And of course we have to beat City, a team we have a poor record against.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Indeed, the ref!!!!

nah MON, whats that 6 midlands derbys to nil for him?

Mr Alan wrote: »

What's he saying?

I just don't see how Spurs cannot beat a relegated Burnley and a safe Bolton.
    But I live in hope. And of course we have to beat City, a team we have a poor record against.

well since i was mistaken about the time of the city v spurs game, IF we were to beat city next week, spurs would go into their remaining 2 games knowing that they absolutely need maximum points to be safe for 4th... and city beating them could put them under the kind of pressure that (coupled with a dodgy lasagne) saw them buckle and let arsenal in a few seasons ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

What's he saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pathetic from MON.

Really silly argument.

I can fly in and get the ball and then fell the man anywhere on the pitch - its not a foul.

That was embarrassing by O' Neill. Bloody hell!!

What's he saying?
    That he has seen the peno incident again and its definately a penalty and got pretty annoyed when the interviewer implied it wasn't.

What's he saying?

havent seen it, but my money is on mon stock interview number 873:

"great performance, the lads gave it their all. we were absolutely fantastic and deserverd a bit of luck considering the decisions that have gone against us recently. i havent seen the replay but from the touchline it looked a clear penalty. we'll try to push on and see what we can do in our remaining 2 games, but nothing is certain even at this late stage"

That he has seen the peno incident again and its definately a penalty and got pretty annoyed when the interviewer implied it wasn't.

Sure it was a nailed on peno...

• Advertisement

havent seen it, but my money is on mon stock interview number 873:

"great performance, the lads gave it their all. we were absolutely fantastic and deserverd a bit of luck considering the decisions that have gone against us recently. i havent seen the replay but from the touchline it looked a clear penalty. we'll try to push on and see what we can do in our remaining 2 games, but nothing is certain even at this late stage"

He did see the replay, but implied it was a peno!! Unbelievable.

I know Villa deserve that bit of luck, but that's nothing to do with Birmingham!

There's a small argument that the touch wasn't enough to take the ball away from Gabby if he hadn't been taken down, but in saying that I think we were very lucky to get it and it wasn't a peno.

was i right about the rest?

he didn't imply it was a penalty, he angrily insisted it was definately a penalty-very strange.

rest was pretty much spot on Helix

• Advertisement

was i right about the rest?

Pretty much!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

noodler wrote: »
    I can fly in and get the ball and then fell the man anywhere on the pitch - its not a foul.

This is completely untrue (or it was 15 years ago when I did my refs course). Even if you get the ball first it can still be a foul - if the referee judges it to be a reckless or dangerous challenge.

(Not a comment on this particular incident by the way, I'm undecided so I think therefore its not a penalty)

matrim wrote: »
    There's a small argument that the touch wasn't enough to take the ball away from Gabby if he hadn't been taken down, but in saying that I think we were very lucky to get it and it wasn't a peno.

But once Agbonlahor decides to fall to the ground, that arguement disappears. It's also not right at all!

I think he needs a new perscription for his glasses !
    Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill: "I can understand their frustration because they played well, but that's happened a lot to us this season. If they're disputing the decision there's no dispute about it because it's a penalty kick. I've seen it back since, and it's a penalty."

But once Agbonlahor decides to fall to the ground, that arguement disappears. It's also not right at all!

There's a difference between deciding to fall to the ground and being taken down.

Also I agree that it wasn't a peno and the argument doesn't hold for this incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I can tell from the general consensus here that I'm gonna get mauled for this...

but I think it was a pen.

There's a touch on the ball but the difference between that and many other tackles you see is how far away the ball then goes. If it had been cleared properly, no foul, likewise if that tackle happens right beside the endline and the ball's out of play straight away. But in this case, the ball is still in play 6 yards from the endline and Agbonlahor is already ahead of the defender. So it's a foul.

The ref doesn't see Johnson's touch on the ball, so he hasn't made the decision for the reasons I've given above, but I think it's the right outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Johnsons touch didn't take the ball far enough away from gabby that he couldnt have had a shot. He then followed through and took the man out. How is that not a foul?

****s sake! Stop! its not a penalty. No way. Not a chance in hell.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I can tell from the general consensus here that I'm gonna get mauled for this...

but I think it was a pen.

There's a touch on the ball but the difference between that and many other tackles you see is how far away the ball then goes. If it had been cleared properly, no foul, likewise if that tackle happens right beside the endline and the ball's out of play straight away. But in this case, the ball is still in play 6 yards from the endline and Agbonlahor is already ahead of the defender. So it's a foul.

The ref doesn't see Johnson's touch on the ball, so he hasn't made the decision for the reasons I've given above, but I think it's the right outcome.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Johnsons touch didn't take the ball far enough away from gabby that he couldnt have had a shot. He then followed through and took the man out. How is that not a foul?

He got the ball. Pretty simple really.

This is completely untrue (or it was 15 years ago when I did my refs course). Even if you get the ball first it can still be a foul - if the referee judges it to be a reckless or dangerous challenge.

(Not a comment on this particular incident by the way, I'm undecided so I think therefore its not a penalty)

It wasn't reckless or dangerous - not even close to it.

• Advertisement

So, because O' Neill embarrasses himself on live tv, Villa fans in here decide to do the same??! :rolleyes:

How high is Terry's boot there JPA?

Since nobody's bothered/able to respond to my point, I'm not going to respond to childish mud-slinging.

Great win today, roll on the next Blue city that stand in our way! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

****s sake! Stop! its not a penalty. No way. Not a chance in hell.
    rarnes1 wrote:
    He got the ball. Pretty simple really.
    Way to engage with the points that have been made, lads. Sorry but it's not as simple as 'he got the ball'.

Oh and monkey9, I'm an Arsenal fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Since nobody's bothered/able to respond to my point, I'm not going to respond to childish mud-slinging.

Great win today, roll on the next Blue city that stand in our way! :D

You're wrong. He got the ball. Who cares how far it went. He touched it. Yeah you won, but my god you were very fortunate, Birmingham were all over you second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

So, because O' Neill embarrasses himself on live tv, Villa fans in here decide to do the same??! :rolleyes:

The penalty is debatable alright but the only thing embarrassing here is whinging Pool fans who can't hide their dislike of MON, keep it up i'm enjoying reading it!:p

The penalty was not debatable.

I don't hate MON - ask Alan.

It was just the most childish and ungracious interview I have seen in quite a while.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're wrong. He got the ball. Who cares how far it went. He touched it. Yeah you won, but my god you were very fortunate, Birmingham were all over you second half.

It very much matters how far the ball went because Gabby was technically still in possession at the time Johnson cut him down like a tree.

I never said anything about Birmingham's performance, or Villa's deservedness of the win.

It was a penalty though.

Brum didn't take their chances and the bigger team got a decision that quite often isn't given. These things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It very much matters how far the ball went because Gabby was technically still in possession at the time Johnson cut him down like a tree.

The ball was on its way out for a corner after an excellent touch by Johnson.

Shambles of a decision.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Shambles of a decision.

Nonsense! The pace of the ball barely changed and Gabby could comfortably have had a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Shambles of a decision.

Agree with this, it was never a penalty. The touch that Johnson got, however slight, moved the ball faster than if Gabby had touched it himself, so he would not have been in control of it had he been able to continue.

I never said anything about Birmingham's performance, or Villa's deservedness of the win.

It was a penalty though.

Brum didn't take their chances and the bigger team got a decision that quite often isn't given. These things happen.

Pure, unadultrated drivel.

Nonsense! The pace of the ball barely changed and Gabby could comfortably have had a shot.

It's not nonsense. The defender got the ball with a superb covering tackle.

Agbonlahor went down after contact was made with the ball making it a clean tackle.

I really don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

wasnt a pen, but considering some of the abysmal decisions we've had this season i think we were due a bit of ref related luck tbh

• Advertisement

wasnt a pen, but considering some of the abysmal decisions we've had this season i think we were due a bit of ref related luck tbh

Lol with 17 penos for I think you've done alright in that regard ;)

Lol with 17 penos for I think you've done alright in that regard ;)

oddly, we shouldve had about 10 more on top of those

It's not nonsense. The defender got the ball with a superb covering tackle.

Agbonlahor went down after contact was made with the ball making it a clean tackle.

I really don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

Watch the replay again and ask yourself "could Gabby have had a shot after Johnson's contact with the ball."

The answer to that is an emphatic "yes."

Johnson's momentum then took Gabby out, therefore, foul.

Had Johnson have gotten a bit more on the ball, or knocked it away from goal, then yes, I'd agree with it not being a penalty. But that tackle was just short of being superb, and definitely in the category of foul.

What is going on in here? How are people trying to claim this is a peno. I have no problem with O' Neill. I like him and think he's a good manager. I have no problem with Villa either.

It just wasn't a penalty. The defender got the ball with a brilliant tackle! If Liverpool had got that in the last minute at Old Trafford to win the game, i'd be delighted, but wouldn't go embarrassing myself by trying to say it was correctly awarded!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Watch the replay again and ask yourself "could Gabby have had a shot after Johnson's contact with the ball."

The answer to that is an emphatic "yes."

Johnson's momentum then took Gabby out, therefore, foul.

Had Johnson have gotten a bit more on the ball, or knocked it away from goal, then yes, I'd agree with it not being a penalty. But that tackle was just short of being superb, and definitely in the category of foul.

It was not in the category of foul. Not at all. He got the ball, end of. Agbonlahor was clearly not in control of the ball as it had been touched by Johnson, Agbonlahor does not become in control of the ball again until he touches it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement