Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa v Birmingham City, 12.00

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

SantryRed wrote: »
    It was not in the category of foul. Not at all. He got the ball, end of. Agbonlahor was clearly not in control of the ball as it had been touched by Johnson, Agbonlahor does not become in control of the ball again until he touches it again.

That simply isn't true, as evidenced by the law of shepherding the ball out of play - you do not need to touch the ball to be deemed in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think you need to join a team Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That simply isn't true, as evidenced by the law of shepherding the ball out of play - you do not need to touch the ball to be deemed in control.

That's technically illegal. It just is not enforced!

I just can't believe you are trying to justify that penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Neil3030 wrote: »

Completely different rule. You can get away with all sorts of stuff you wouldn't get away with anywhere else on the pitch when shepherding the ball out of play. This tackle was almost a penalty, but he got the ball so any arguments for it being a penalty are irrelevant.

noodler wrote: »
    I think you need to join a team Neil.

Haven't the time to commit anymore unfortunately. 5-aside once a week is about all I can manage, if I'm lucky. Thanks for the offer though.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    That's technically illegal. It just is not enforced!

I just can't believe you are trying to justify that penalty.

It's not illegal. The player guarding the ball out of play is deemed in control of the ball, despite him not having touched it.
    SuprSi wrote: »
    Completely different rule. You can get away with all sorts of stuff you wouldn't get away with anywhere else on the pitch when shepherding the ball out of play. This tackle was almost a penalty, but he got the ball so any arguments for it being a penalty are irrelevant.

I disagree. The tackle was almost a great tackle. I only brought up shepherding as an example that you do not need to have touched the ball to be deemed in control. After Johnson's touch, Gabby could have had a shot, but was taken down - foul.

The context aside (me being a Villa fan, Villa not deserving to win the game, Birmingham dominating the second half and missing several chances), it was a foul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just saw the incident for the first time.

Clearly wasn't a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Johnson got the ball end off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just saw the incident for the first time.

Clearly wasn't a penalty.
    Pot wrote:
    Johnson got the ball end off

I'd let it go at this stage. The poster arguing that it was a peno has pretty much admitted in the Villa thread that he was wumming it!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd let it go at this stage. The poster arguing that it was a peno has pretty much admitted in the Villa thread that he was wumming it!

"the poster"

Harsh, man. Needlessly harsh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just saw the incident first time round on the Last Word.

Clear Penalty. Never go to ground in your area...if that was given for a free outside the box, no-one would say anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

http://cache04.stormap.sapo.pt/vidstore06/videos/bc/e4/83/1416890_Z62lS.mp4

It was a harsh penalty but it was given and Villa collected all 3 points. <--- (that black dot is a full stop btw)

Johnston's toes did scrap off the ball but he did follow through to take Gabby out of it. The ball changed directed ever so slightly and the pace of the ball increased but if Gabby hadn't of had his legs taken from under him he probably would have kept it in.

Villa were very lucky, but so what, Vidic should have gotten a straight red in the League Cup final and Terry/Deco should have both walked in the FA Cup semi (not to mention Mikel's challenge on Gabby in the box) but they didn't and Villa lost on both occasions, shít happens, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

As a Birmingham fan I should be rightly giving out about this decision but I do not really mind, it hurts to lose to your rivals but this game really will not affect our season in any way. It was not a penalty but I can see why it was given, Johnson did not get a good enough touch on it. From the ref's angle he could not see the touch so he presumed Gabby poked it forward and was taken out. Johnson's touch needed to divert the ball but it did not so penalty was given. Was not a penalty but not really the refs fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

25435_112223808815197_100000827355070_76469_5718431_n.jpg

Just adding another opinion to the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Graham Poll :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

JPA wrote: »
    25435_112223808815197_100000827355070_76469_5718431_n.jpg

Just adding another opinion to the mix.

the same opinion who said vidic shouldnt have been sent off and terrys assault on milner wasnt a sending off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    the same opinion who said vidic shouldnt have been sent off and terrys assault on milner wasnt a sending off?

Hey I only post what's beneficial to Villa man. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh, and Martin O'Neill was an embarrassment after the game too.

i never understand why managers don't just admit they got the rub of the green. it frustrates me no end.

he kept being asked, 'but he got the ball' to which he kept replying, 'it was a penalty'.

childish nonsense to be honest.

i agree there should be an FA charge to Carr though; a joke of a reaction. he looked like a crazy man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SlickRic wrote: »

i agree there should be an FA charge to Carr though; a joke of a reaction. he looked like a crazy man.

It'd cause uproar after Torres got away with his though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SlickRic wrote: »
    he kept being asked, 'but he got the ball' to which he kept replying, 'it was a penalty'.

childish nonsense to be honest.

Interviewer's fault if he is continuously asked "but he got the ball", then he can repeat himself too

At least his repeated answer was right.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭jacool

Martin O'Neill has gone down massively in my opinion as he develops super vision to see the penalty call from where he was.
    Here's three things he didn't see in their last 2 games.
    In this game, there was a Villa player in the D when Milner struck the ball.
    Last week Carew was offside for his goal.
    Delsounso was off then on then off and finally on for his goal.
    He did see all the good stuff, but none of the bad.
    Possible contender for the Arsenal job then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

noodler wrote: »
    It'd cause uproar after Torres got away with his though.

i'm not talking about the kicking of the penalty spot.

i'm talking about the veins popping out of his neck, looking like he's going to muller the ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jacool wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill has gone down massively in my opinion as he develops super vision to see the penalty call from where he was.

2 feet away from a tv when he watched the replay after the game and before the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

*STOP PRESS* Helix sticks-up for MON shocker! :eek::)

Definite penalty, Johnson's touch was very slight, and had he not taken the man aswell Gabby could have gone on to shoot or square the ball for someone else.

Taking man and ball? Is a foul. In the box? That's a peno. Know this.

Advertisement