Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos of Roma on the door of Vibes and Scribes...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 missfrilly

I wouldn't say so as they posted them up within there own shop and im sure they would only stick them up if they were sure what they had seen. Ain't libelous if its what the owner saw.

Well something really needs to be done to get rid of this gang . They are an organised criminal gang who jut happen to be Roma. I just cannot see why they can't be convicted and put in prison. And of course because the Roma are new to Ireland people will tar with the same brush when in reality (from my experience) it is this specific gang that are the problem in Cork City.

Loads of the Roma gypsies used to be dropped off at the bridges for their begging shift in a green Opel Vectra, some joke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Most mornings, Roma's living up the street from me, three women. Are brought by what I assume is the husband of one of them, in his 04 black BMW jeep into the city to beg. I know the owner of the house, they're getting rent allowance and all the other frills. About eight people live in the house.
    I've been breaking my ass working to pay my mortgage, feed my family and maintain my 01 Seat. I have to admit I get seriously pissed off.

I have seen him dropping them off in town, to beg. Clear as day. I was stunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sounds like the Guards are turning a blind eye to this tbh. I'm no liberal loon - I believe anyone committing crime should be punished harshly and if foreign, deported to their home country but I would rather shoplifters be tried by the legal system rather than shopkeepers (and the fact that all the folks in the photos are Roma has the unfortunate effect of tarring them all with the same brush). If the problem of petty crime and intimidation is so bad, why aren't city business owners speaking out and lobbying the guards and politicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

simu wrote:
    (and the fact that all the folks in the photos are Roma has the unfortunate effect of tarring them all with the same brush

What's the shopkeeper meant to do? Photoshop in some United colours of Benetton kids to add a bit of diversity? Let's not speak ill of the Mafia in case we end up tarring all Italians with the same brush.The Roma would benefit more from having the Gardaí crack down on their criminal element rather than having everyone trying to maintain political correctness despite seeing the criminal activity first hand. missfrilly has pretty much answered the question about how far the shopkeepers are getting with the Gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    Most mornings, Roma's living up the street from me, three women. Are brought by what I assume is the husband of one of them, in his 04 black BMW jeep into the city to beg. I know the owner of the house, they're getting rent allowance and all the other frills. About eight people live in the house.
    I've been breaking my ass working to pay my mortgage, feed my family and maintain my 01 Seat. I have to admit I get seriously pissed off.

I have seen him dropping them off in town, to beg. Clear as day. I was stunned.

give the revenue a bell

duckysauce wrote: »
    give the revenue a bell

They won't do a thing unfortunately, how someone on welfare can buy and run an 04 Bimmer is beyond me. Still a phonecall wouldn't do any harm, also be sure to complain about any anti social behaviour that is going on, noise at night etc.

I also don't know how they make a penny begging, what kind of f**ktard gives money to a smelly, p1ssy, fat Roma yoke dressed like 40 coats :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I saw a small article in last night's echo saying that one of the FG city councillors (whose name I've forgotten of course) was supporting the shop keepers. proper order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,530 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Neil Prenderville on 96fm has been on about this the last few mornings

Was any of them arrested and charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Are brought by what I assume is the husband of one of them, in his 04 black BMW jeep into the city to beg.
    If that really is the type of vehicle, then it's unlikely to be the husband - or any relative.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    how someone on welfare can buy and run an 04 Bimmer is beyond me.
    Exactly.
    I also don't know how they make a penny begging, what kind of f**ktard gives money to a smelly, p1ssy, fat Roma yoke dressed like 40 coats :confused:
    :confused:

True, I only give money to those beggars whom I consider hot...

By the way, whatever about sticking up pictures, I agree with the sentiment that the ones in this particular case are because of them being shoplifters, not Roma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

The pictures have been taken down..I didn't see them, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Provided the allegation of criminality has been proven in a court of law.

unless of course they were stealing from , you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The pictures have been taken down..I didn't see them, anyway.

From what I heard on the radio, the gang came into the store shouting, and tore them up during the week. Classy crew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just another issue for the "anti racism" morons this is. TBH, I cross the road rather than go near any of these gypsy and would rather throw a cent into the river than give it to these things. I have the same attitudes to most people who expect everyone else to give them a living.

Fair play vibes and scribes. FFS, just because they have a differnt colour skin we are supposed to be all PC and nice. Feck off.

Most of these anti racist types are complete loons anyway who are to be pitied and avoided also.

Swear to god, i would love to be black/ethnic in this country. You can get away with murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I too read the shop owner is experiencing intimidation by eejits just barging in. Shame - Vibes & Scribes is an excellent shop. Some people are just desperate to find racism where there isn't any.
    That said, this WILL lead to further marginalisation of Roma people - the fault of the thieves themselves yes, but also, there is a hatred of Roma anyway, this thread being a reflection of it. I don't think it's right to assume every single one of them is a bad 'un.

sorry but the roma family/group lived on our street for the last 5 years approx' I'd see the man there every day going from house to car, kids hanging around the house, he is a Roma as they are, other people coming and going from the house, all Roma, or at least all the same dress code, so I'm assuming.
    I once saw him get out of his BMW walk to the open front door of the house where a Roma woman was standing, wife/sister I don't know, and while muttering something, spat, heavily and directly into her face, from a distance of about a foot. Utterly disgusting. He returned to his cool shiny car and drove away. I probably should have intervened but then again I was uncertain as to what I should have done.
    Seems to me that many of the Roma women are under the heel of their menfolk, seeing as most of the men seem to do f*** all with themselves. The women do the begging and the stealing, the twat men drive around like lords.

Aw noooo I had written a longish post that I saw a small article in the echo yesterday that a local business woman is having a meeting with the Roma community today. Guards and immigrant support groups will be present too, because she is sick of being harrassed by these romas!

Fair play, I wonder what will be done.
    She has my support anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

sorry but the roma family/group lived on our street for the last 5 years approx' I'd see the man there every day going from house to car, kids hanging around the house, he is a Roma as they are, other people coming and going from the house, all Roma, or at least all the same dress code, so I'm assuming.
    I once saw him get out of his BMW walk to the open front door of the house where a Roma woman was standing, wife/sister I don't know, and while muttering something, spat, heavily and directly into her face, from a distance of about a foot. Utterly disgusting. He returned to his cool shiny car and drove away. I probably should have intervened but then again I was uncertain as to what I should have done.
    Seems to me that many of the Roma women are under the heel of their menfolk, seeing as most of the men seem to do f*** all with themselves. The women do the begging and the stealing, the twat men drive around like lords.

Are you suggesting that they should change their custom/traditions to fit in with 'our' view of the way their lives should be lived?

This is their culture.

Beating women.

Arranged underage marriage, where the grooms family are the ones who have to pay a 'dowry' hence any girl around 12 will be sold off, and if you wonder why the women seem to be doing everything and the men nothing it is because of this where the women have been 'bought' by their husbands' families and by **** are they going to get their moneys worth.

Begging and stealing an honourable profession.

To all you racist card playing politically correct gimps out there, these are the facts of the situation and to be honest the twats who are complaining about Vibes and Scribes are guilty of an even worse racist type offence.

Ye obviously can't differentiate between individual Roma and only see the clothes. Do they all look the same to you?

Is that your problem?

It's not as if a sign was put up saying 'No Roma Welcome'

It's individuals who have been 'allegedly' shoplifting who were photographed. This is done in shops all over the country, White. Black,Asian,African,Eastern European the whole racial spectrum. The only common trait is that they are 'alleged' shoplifters. Very few of these have been convicted in the courts but the shame factor keeps them away. This case has cropped up because the people barred CONTINUED to come in and refused to be barred.

Every business in the city has the right to refuse entry to customers based on previous experiences, but seemingly as long as they are not wearing a 'culturally diverse' outfit according to the PC tosspot brigade

Are you for real..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Are you for real..

+1.. and thank you for posting that because I was in the middle of typing something but thats all that needs to be said really.. WFT !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I know a shop owner that has been screwed over a few times by Romas. They can get very, very aggressive too. They really are a waste of space. Yes, I'm generalising here too, simply because I've never known one to be anything other than a thieving or begging scumbag.

Are you for real..

Most certainly....

and is that the best retort you can muster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Moro Man wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that they should change their custom/traditions to fit in with 'our' view of the way their lives should be lived?

This is their culture.

Beating women.

Arranged underage marriage, where the grooms family are the ones who have to pay a 'dowry' hence any girl around 12 will be sold off, and if you wonder why the women seem to be doing everything and the men nothing it is because of this where the women have been 'bought' by their husbands' families and by **** are they going to get their moneys worth.

To all you racist card playing politically correct gimps out there, these are the facts of the situation and to be honest the twats who are complaining about Vibes and Scribes are guilty of an even worse racist type offence.

Ye obviously can't differentiate between individual Roma and only see the clothes. Do they all look the same to you?

Is that your problem?

It's individuals who have been 'allegedly' shoplifting who were photographed. This is done in shops all over the country, White. Black,Asian,African,Eastern European the whole racial spectrum. The only common trait is that they are 'alleged' shoplifters. Very few of these have been convicted in the courts but the shame factor keeps them away. This case has cropped up because the people barred CONTINUED to come in and refused to be barred.

Every business in the city has the right to refuse entry to customers based on previous experiences, but seemingly as long as they are not wearing a 'culturally diverse' outfit according to the PC tosspot brigade
    Very well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If every last Roma left Ireland forever in the morning, I would throw a huge party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If every last Roma left Ireland forever in the morning, I would throw a huge party.
    And buy a rose from whoever happened to be selling them after!

Most certainly....

and is that the best retort you can muster?

So you think it's ok that a man hits a woman, it's their culture.

You are perfectly fine working hard only for tax to be deducted to pay for these leeches that appear to be here without jobs and robbing us.

You think it's ok that they can just be here acting the way they do when citizens of Ireland spend a lot of time being nice to others, having manners, and earning an honest euro..

If you're going to speak highly of these eh humans then I'd suggest you put you're head in a book or atleast try not to ignore facts.

And yes I have had experience with romas and can have my opinion of them, just like they can have their opinion of the poor victims they will rob and harrass today..tomorrow..the day after that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I know a shop owner that has been screwed over a few times by Romas. They can get very, very aggressive too. They really are a waste of space. Yes, I'm generalising here too, simply because I've never known one to be anything other than a thieving or begging scumbag.

Thats the thing, many people do generalize. As i have known many romanians, i can tell one thing - there are romanians and there are romanian gypsies - two totally different groups of people. About 10 pct of people in romania are the ones fitting to the second group. Their language is different, their heritance is different, their look is different..because they simply are a different nationality, just living in many areas (mostly in Romania and Moldova).

They make as much trouble there as they make everywhere else they are going... it is a huge problem, because most of them have no education, their parents don't put them to school and they continue to do same with their own children..
    Romanian orphanages are filled with gypsy kids, i am quoting my romanian friend who has worked in their local social welfare, saying "more than 90 pct of kids in orphanages are gypsies".

Begging, scamming and stealing is what they have done for centuries and will continue to do, because most of them doesn't know any better... I personally haven't met any people from their origin, who has more education than 3-4 grades and who is working - not even a single one. However, i have heard that there is such individuals - rarely, but is (specially in territory of France).

Coming back to the original subject of this thread... in my opinion putting out pictures of unconvicted thiefs of any nationality is ok - as long as it doesn't involve publishing those pictures outside their own business. If people on the pictures have a problem about it and they think they have been accused for no reason, then they can always go and have a chat with the owner - you can say that the damage to their reputation has already been done... but do u really think that those pictures are put up before being absolutely sure that they are stealing from the shop?

I do think it is shopowners right to do so as they see no other way fighting back..
    In the other hand.. i don't think it stops those thiefs, as seen with the current problem, it is rather making them more agressive towards this shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

kart wrote: »
    Thats the thing, many people do generalize. As i have known many romanians, i can tell one thing - there are romanians and there are romanian gypsies - two totally different groups of people. About 10 pct of people in romania are the ones fitting to the second group. Their language is different, their heritance is different, their look is different..because they simply are a different nationality, just living in many areas (mostly in Romania and Moldova)..

Nobody is confusing the two here. We're talking about Roma Gypsies. I don't think English people do that either with the Irish traveller movement in England.. when they start building houses without planning permission, start stealing caravans and motorhomes (recent case of £700,000 worth) etc. etc.

I'm all for respecting their culture and everything, but stealing and scamming people is something I won't excuse. Sorry.

You're right that it is a vicious circle and the kids have very little chance to turn out any different, but that still doesn't make their actions right though.

So you think it's ok that a man hits a woman, it's their culture.

You are perfectly fine working hard only for tax to be deducted to pay for these leeches that appear to be here without jobs and robbing us.

You think it's ok that they can just be here acting the way they do when citizens of Ireland spend a lot of time being nice to others, having manners, and earning an honest euro..

If you're going to speak highly of these eh humans then I'd suggest you put you're head in a book or atleast try not to ignore facts.

And yes I have had experience with romas and can have my opinion of them, just like they can have their opinion of the poor victims they will rob and harrass today..tomorrow..the day after that..

I think you missed my point.

The sarcasm sign wasn't on sorry, the quote about people expecting them to change was tongue in cheek

The bleeding heart liberal types say we should embrace them and their culture and not try to victimise them because of their cultural diversity and they should not be expected to change to fit in with ours.

This is the line they always wheel out for all cultures / traditions.

The point I was making was do they they expect us to do it in this case, because their culture includes gross mistreatment of their women and children and an extremely high % of them their stock and trade is theft and begging.

I certainly do not think it is right to hit women.

• Advertisement

This is their culture.

Beating women.

Is that your problem?

I have nothing what so ever against anybody's dress code, the only reason I mentioned it at all was (if you bothered reading previous posts by others suggesting that a Roma could not possibly own a 04 BMW jeep) to use the only means at my disposal to clarify the identity of the individual.
    Personally I don't like seeing anybody abusing anybody in the way I saw that man doing.
    In the course of my working life I have worked with people of many different ethnic backgrounds and never thought twice about it.

I don't really consider begging and stealing an honourable profession, regardless of who is doing it, I don't get your point here and I think you are showing considerable naivety with your attack.
    I always respect others and hope they show the same respect for me, regardless of their nationality or ethnic background.
    You condone the abuse of women because it is part of some ones culture.
    Well sorry but I don't and won't. Do you approve of female genital mutilation because it's part of someone culture also.
    Do ethnic mores come before human rights? not for me.
    People should be able to wear what they want, punk, Roma, Transsexual, whatever.

Advertisement