Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overheating?

• 25-04-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys
    Hope someone can give some advice. I think that I'm having some overheating issue with my PC. I'm experiencing very bad fps while playing games and am fairly certain its down to an overheating issue.
    Whats the easiest way to find out for sure if this is the case? And then is it easy enough to remedy?
    PC is a couple of years old (hadn't really been playing it for a while) but recently have been trying to play Dragon Age and its unplayable due to fps stuttering. GPU is a 4890 so should be plenty good enough for high (ish) settings etc. 4Ghz of Ram too so dont think thats the issue.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Download RealTemp and Prime95, once Prime95 starts to run,watch your temps with RealTemp, if they start to get to dangerous levels (80 degrees) then we know your CPU is throttling to protect itself from damage.

It could also be the 4890, they do get hot without good clean airflow. Run Furmark and enable tempreture logging in that to see what tempretures your GPU gets to, around 90 is safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shanio100 wrote: »
    Whats the easiest way to find out for sure if this is the case? And then is it easy enough to remedy?
    Open the case

Look for Dust

Does it look like a haunted mansion?

Then you have a heating problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I had the same problem after I installed a new 5770 from Asus. The card was overheating the southbridge, I stuck a fan in the case pointing at the southbridge and all is well now.

I want a new CPU cooler though, my E6600 dual core revs up to 60c when it's under load, anyone recommend me a new cooler?

BTW nothings OC'd and just stock fan on now.

Bodhan wrote: »

I want a new CPU cooler though, my E6600 dual core revs up to 60c when it's under load, anyone recommend me a new cooler?

Whats your budget ?

50 -70 euro I suppose, I have a Gigabyte Aurora case so the size doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

OP here. I ran those tests you recommended Deano and it appears that I'm definitely having over heating issues.

I've a core 2 Duo E6850 cpu at 3ghz (not overclocked at all) and the temps for the cores are varying between 50 and 90c.

When running the Furmark test, the GPU doesn't seem to go about about 80c.

I'm guessing that my problem is lying with the CPU cooling so. Any recommendations for what to get to help lower the temps?

Thanks again guys.

Bodhan wrote: »
    50 -70 euro I suppose, I have a Gigabyte Aurora case so the size doesn't matter.

Xigmatek's range of coolers are great budget cooler, you can eevn get them in Peats (handy if you live in Dublin). If your ordering online, the model you want to get is the Dark Knight. To be totally honest, it will cool a dual core very well without spending a chuck of money

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25371
    Shanio100 wrote: »
    OP here. I ran those tests you recommended Deano and it appears that I'm definitely having over heating issues.

I've a core 2 Duo E6850 cpu at 3ghz (not overclocked at all) and the temps for the cores are varying between 50 and 90c.

When running the Furmark test, the GPU doesn't seem to go about about 80c.

I'm guessing that my problem is lying with the CPU cooling so. Any recommendations for what to get to help lower the temps?

Thanks again guys.

From 50 to 90c ?

eek.

Depending on the age, I'd say the CPU could just need a good cleanout and some new thermal paste

Xigmatek's range of coolers are great budget cooler, you can eevn get them in Peats (handy if you live in Dublin). If your ordering online, the model you want to get is the Dark Knight. To be totally honest, it will cool a dual core very well without spending a chuck of money

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog...uct=1&id=25371

Thanks Deano I might just order that, update I'm picking it up in Peats Newbridge today. OP I'll let you know what its like, might be of use to you.

Bought it and installed it, got a cut from the fins on it. A wee bit tricky and tight but it's in. Max temperature under load is 60c from Realtemp. The cooler is lovely, nice LED's but its huge make sure you have the room for it.

Advertisement