Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The SPL Title Weekend....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    Eirebear obviously hasn't moved on! :D

To suggest the reason Scottish football is in the state it's in is because of that game is laughable though. Title deciders in Ibrox/CP would make little difference to the overall package that is the SPL. There's a lot of things that can be blamed for it, but blaming trouble at a game 11 years ago takes the biscuit!

Would be good to see a title won v Rangers alright, but I can understand why they try to avoid it. In fairness though, was funny seeing it happen at Easter Road.

Have the SPL not come out and said publicably they wish to avoid deciders because of what happened at the game in 1999 when there was some ugly incidents? Was before my time, but I love the close nature of the SPL generally, its one of the most exciting leagues from this perspective and I think a title deciding game if it happened would generate mass appeal to the wider footballing public.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    and I think a title deciding game if it happened would generate mass appeal to the wider footballing public.

Yes, in one game. Do you think that would make the blindest bit of difference to the value of the overall package? Nope imo.

The SPL as a package to a broadcaster is worth little. That's go nothing to do with events at a game 11 years ago. It's everything to do with the poor quality of football, the poor pitches, the small market share and the Premiership bleeding everything dry.

The SFA and SPL need to get bums back on seats as a matter of urgency. The spotlight is on the attendences at CP this season, but I saw plenty of empty seats elsewhere. If season ticket holders and locals can't be arsed to go to games, are people going to fork out season ticket money on Sky AND ESPN to watch games? In their hole they are.

Personally I think splitting the games across two channels has just devalued even further the package. I didn't bother with ESPN this season, and only got 3 months of Sky on the cheap. I had Setanta when they had the lot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Nothing illogical about it. The song was banned. You posted it.

Quack quack.

Sums you up perfectly. Selective memory.

I dont know how many times i can say it, obviously plain english is too hard for you to understand, or then again maybe it just doesnt fit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Yes, in one game. Do you think that would make the blindest bit of difference to the value of the overall package? Nope imo.

The SPL as a package to a broadcaster is worth little. That's go nothing to do with events at a game 11 years ago. It's everything to do with the poor quality of football, the poor pitches, the small market share and the Premiership bleeding everything dry.

The SFA and SPL need to get bums back on seats as a matter of urgency. The spotlight is on the attendences at CP this season, but I saw plenty of empty seats elsewhere. If season ticket holders and locals can't be arsed to go to games, are people going to fork out season ticket money on Sky AND ESPN to watch games? In their hole they are.

Personally I think splitting the games across two channels has just devalued even further the package. I didn't bother with ESPN this season, and only got 3 months of Sky on the cheap. I had Setanta when they had the lot though.

I agree Paul, its not a major factor when TV rights come around. Im lead to believe that the police have a major bearing on deciding when Old Firm games take place. I just think its sad that in a modern day world, they cant schedule a game between Scotland's heavyweights at a time when either Rangers or Celtic could win the league based on how some game went over ten years ago. It would be fantastic for the wider public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Eirebear wrote: »
    Sums you up perfectly. Selective memory.

I dont know how many times i can say it, obviously plain english is too hard for you to understand, or then again maybe it just doesnt fit your agenda.

My 'agenda' in so far as I have one is to point out that you are a rank hypocrite. You go crying to the mods when anyone uses the 'h' word, yet actively defend yourself for using words like 'timmy' and posting a song that is generally considered to be used in a sectarian context, so much so that Rangers banned it in Ibrox.

Final word. If you can't take it, don't give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nothing illogical about it. The song was banned. You posted it.

Quack quack.

Exactly. It used to be banned.

It's not anymore. So what's the problem with Eirebear posting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Grow up. You posted a song that Rangers banned their fans from singing and are unrepentant about it. If it walks like a duck....

You used a term that as Paulo explained is the flipside of the 'hun' coin.

How you didn't get a holiday for using the term 'scum' is anyones guess.

As I said, I don't know are you a bigot, but your behaviour is very close to that of of hairybacks with scraped knuckles. Which always is just below the surface when Rangers win.

No it would be on a par with the F****N word tell you what as far as I am concerned when you start calling us Rangers fans or Gers or bears I will start calling you Tic fans or Celtic fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Couldn't agree more :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ziggy wrote: »

In fairness, there's not been much football to discuss this season in the SPL, has there? :( Yesterday was the least I've ever cared about a title going to the grubby ones. I'd actually forgotten they could win it yesterday I'm that apathetic about it. Not a patch on Black Sunday... it was tough but at least it was exciting!

As for the petty stuff, I think some of the comments just rubbed people (including me) up the wrong way, especially considering who said them.

In fairness, there's not been much football to discuss this season in the SPL, has there? :( Yesterday was the least I've ever cared about a title going to the grubby ones. I'd actually forgotten they could win it yesterday I'm that apathetic about it. Not a patch on Black Sunday... it was tough but at least it was exciting!

As for the petty stuff, I think some of the comments just rubbed people (including me) up the wrong way, especially considering who said them.

I can understand that Paul but in all honesty ONYD tends to have a go when its not needed and for example could not accept STB is not banned at Ibrox anymore he basically insinuates everyone from the Blue side of Glasgow is a bigot when they are not

I can understand that Paul but in all honesty ONYD tends to have a go when its not needed and for example could not accept STB is not banned at Ibrox anymore he basically insinuates everyone from the Blue side of Glasgow is a bigot when they are not

You are missing the point. I don't CARE if you are a bigot or not. The issue here is that the mods pap Celtic fans left right and centre for offending your sensibilities, yet EB gets to post pejoritive terms like scum and timmy with impunity.

I was unaware that STB was un-banned in Ibrox, I don't tend to keep up with your clubs racist repetoir, but the point is, as well you know, that it is a deeply offensive song to Celtic and Hibs fans with sectarian overtones.

Still going i see....

Im going to put this in the plainest english i possibly can in order to let ONYD understand.

Simply The Best is not banned in any way, shape or form within Ibrox, or the SPL in its wider form.

Paul was perfectly right to pull me up for the use of certain words earlier in this thread, I have apologised, and taken my warning from the Mods there is nothing else i can do.

I will not take accusations of bigotry from someone like yourself however, someone who regularly makes allegations without proof, and dodges the question when repeatedly asked about it.
    I will not take allegations of bigotrty from someone who only speaks about Celtic when he has an excuse to try and tarnish the Rangers support.

I started this thread in order to point out what is a fantastic acheivment by a Rangers squad who didnt know if they would be in a job by this time, i may have went a little too far with certain parts. But the point remains the same.

oa4rur.jpg

Jaysus, those t-shirts are cringeworthy tbh... :D

I complimented Rangers on their title.

But the point remains. You posted a song you know is moody to provoke. I was genuinely unaware it was un-banned (that actually asks a bigger question, did it suddenly become unoffensive?). My issue is that the rules don't seem to apply to the handful of Rangers fans on here.....

• Advertisement

But the point remains. You posted a song you know is moody to provoke. I was genuinely unaware it was un-banned (that actually asks a bigger question, did it suddenly become unoffensive?). My issue is that the rules don't seem to apply to the handful of Rangers fans on here.....

No, I posted a song which, with the exception of a 6 month period where David Murray was playing everything as carefully as possible, has been played over the tannoys at Ibrox for almost as long as i have been going there.

I posted the version sung and recorded by Tina Turner in the late 80's, which has absolutely no sectarian, bigoted (or as your latest accusation says) racist understones whatsoever.
    What a certain element of Rangers supporters where known to add to it has absolutely no relevance to my post whatsoever.

You have accused me of bigotry on this thread on a number of occasions, and refused to stand down from that allegation. Yet i have done nothing which any sane person can even begin to relate to bigotry.
    You can duck and weave all you want, but those are the plain facts of the matter.

Jaysus, those t-shirts are cringeworthy tbh... :D

They are really...but we couldnt afford better ones! ;)

I complimented Rangers on their title.

What has this handful of Rangers fans you speak of done. The song was banned because the words were getting changed it was brought back with the understanding the words sung to it would not be sectarian and they no longer are GET OVER IT.
    How terrible you don't like the song so it must be wrong should we then ban all the songs that Celtic fans sing if we as Rangers fans don't like them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Simply the Best.

As Paolo says, for someone who goes crying to the mods over the hun word, you haven't exactly covered yourself in glory here..... I'll put it down to drunk posting.

Can you not just celebrate without resorting to bigotry?

How in god's anme is that dirge sectarian?? AS for him being a bigot, what???? Grow up will you. You give celtic fans a bad name. And how a celtic fan finds being caled timmy offensive is beyond me.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

How in god's anme is that dirge sectarian?? AS for him being a bigot, what???? Grow up will you. You give celtic fans a bad name. And how a celtic fan finds being caled timmy offensive is beyond me.:rolleyes:

Do you like been called Scum then ?

• Advertisement

mixednuts wrote: »
    Why would you ask something so stupid? What do you think? For the recioord i dont have a problem with being called timmy or fenian.

Why would you ask something so stupid? What do you think? For the recioord i dont have a problem with being called timmy or fenian.

Coillte,
    I don't either nor do I partake in the bol**x that sometimes comes with the Celtic/Rangers rivalry.
    I think a explanation was given for that "scum" post (drunken), and a previous poster mentioned the breath of fresh air boards.ie is for the Celtic and rangers rivalry and how decent it is , but a post like the that will soon sour things.

M

Coillte,
    I don't either nor do I partake in the bol**x that sometimes comes with the Celtic/Rangers rivalry.
    I think a explanation was given for that "scum" post (drunken), and a previous poster mentioned the breath of fresh air boards.ie is for the Celtic and rangers rivalry and how decent it is , but a post like the that will soon sour things.

M

Celtic/Rangers rivalry....decent??? Not for me thanks. I couldn care less what they call us and i wont hold back telling them what i thinbk of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was once called a Fenian Bastard on my way to a derby game. I had to shout back, 'How dare you, my folks are married'!

I was at CP the day Dallas got hit and it was not the fact that Rangers clinched the title that annoyed, it was the totally inept and biased performance of the 'best ref in Scotland'.

I reckon this could be the lowest attendance at CP of a derby game for years

I am not here to defend EB I don't need to he has apologised for the use of the word scum he can't do anymore.

I am not here to defend EB I don't need to he has apologised for the use of the word scum he can't do anymore.

Broxi,
    I wrote of the explanation (apology) given in post #73 .

I was explaining how the context and atmosphere of this thread had gone a little bitter and the path it had taken .

M

Broxi,
    I wrote of the explanation (apology) given in post #73 .

I was explaining how the context and atmosphere of this thread had gone a little bitter and the path it had taken .

M

Sorry I missed it and it has went a bit off most of us on here get on well enough but sometimes things get a bit out of hand then we all have to take a step back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Congrats to Rangers on winning SPL best side by a good distance. I don't get involved in the 'spats' on the forum i prefer talking about the football side of things and how the SPL can improve on and off the pitch. With the new report by Mcleish out this or next week hopefully the bosses of the league grab the oppurtunity to transform the League, i think a 16 team league would be best like Portugal and Espn or Sky would really buy into the SPL. Eirebear and Broxi well done again and i pray i wont be saying that next year :)

Advertisement