Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hole in the Wall?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

Hey guys wondering if any one can tell where "The Hole in the Wall" is in Kilkenny?

I'm living here for a few years now but can't say I've ever seen/heard of the place before or maybe I've just not noticed it.

I've only heard of the place as an irish band is playing there in July that I wouldn't mind seeing.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20:00[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Hole In The Wall[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kilkenny, Kilkenny[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Hey guys wondering if any one can tell where "The Hole in the Wall" is in Kilkenny?

I'm living here for a few years now but can't say I've ever seen/heard of the place before or maybe I've just not noticed it.

I've only heard of the place as an irish band is playing there in July that I wouldn't mind seeing.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20:00[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Hole In The Wall[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kilkenny, Kilkenny[/FONT]

http://tinyurl.com/3ysyy4q ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Healium wrote: »

Oh my... your so original!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Oh my... your so original!

*You're

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

In a book about the history of Kilkenny city and county, the Hole In The Wall is described as thus:

'In the eighteenth century the most westerly of its houses (the Archers on High Street No. 17,18 &19) became the famous 'Hole in the Wall'. This was the great supper-house of Kilkenny for about 100 years (1750-1850). The tavern was patronised by the young blades... of the day and numbered among its patrons John, 17th Earl of Ormonde (known as Jack Of The Castle)'

How I wish I were patronising it now, along with all the other young blades of the current era. The duels we'd have and the busty wenches we'd woo, all whilst consuming frosty ales from St. Francis Abbey brewery and speaking loudly about the topical matters of the day, such as the failure of the one way horse and carriage system from Butler Castle all the way to Grace's Castle.

But, since it's reopened it's just been a small museum and a venue for talks on history and culture and such like. Hardly befitting for Kilkenny's most bawdy and infamous nightclub of the 18th and 19th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I've always thought a Hole In The Wall was another name for an ATM machine, or is that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

me too...............for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

That's what people called ATM's back in the 80's.

Since the internet though, ATM is now also an acronym for a disgusting fetish act so I have since changed to 'bank machine' so that my friends don't think I am a deviant when I say 'I need an ATM'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vegasbabe

The Hole is in the wall is situated up a laneway beside the Enable Ireland shop on High Street. I have been in there, its an amazing building & the man who owns it has done a lot of work with it. Great story to it & would be an excellent venue for a gig. It should get more use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Healium wrote: »

that is funny:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

fabbydabby wrote: »
    That's what people called ATM's back in the 80's.

Since the internet though, ATM is now also an acronym for a disgusting fetish act so I have since changed to 'bank machine' so that my friends don't think I am a deviant when I say 'I need an ATM'.

Mind if I make a deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 biggie_p

http://www.holeinthewall.ie/

Follow on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hole-In-The-Wall-Kilkenny/126624194026231?ref=ts

anymore question about the Hole in the wall ask me!

That's class!

Question:

I was passing the place one night at about 10PM there about a fortnight or so ago. I think it was a Saturday night - town was buzzing anyway and it was dark. I was out for a few pints.

The sign was up outside on high street giving the brief history and lowdown and the iron gate was open. But the alley was pitch black and there was no signs of life down there.

So my question is... was it open? And is it a museum or can you get alcohol in there? I suppose that's two questions. Three if you split the last one in two..

Anyway, I would deffo have checked it out but I was seriously put off by the dark alley which looked like somewhere a prospective patron would get buggered by a deviant on a quest for an ATM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was going to suggest boards beers but then I remembered about the last time we tried that, not that I didn't have a good night at it or anything.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Was it just you down the nal with six tins of Turbo G?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Was it just you down the nal with six tins of Turbo G?

No, we held it in a bar and there was more than just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

No, we held it in a bar and there was more than just me.
    The end of the world bar with Tutsie?:P

Plug wrote: »
    The end of the world bar with Tutsie?:P

I'm not going to make that joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 biggie_p

Yah Whenever the sign is out with the gate open it means it should be open.
    Well its not a museum but does have a lot of historic items inside , It has the odd gig on there every now and again, its really trying to get its name out there for a gig venue
    Its recently got a wine license so its a wine bar at moment but hopefully and eventually you will be able to have a pint there but not right now,
    Don;t mind the dark alley it not dangerous at all , thats the problem the owner doesn't have a permanent Sign out side as it only has right of way down the alley,
    So its at the end of the alley to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I thought the Hole in the Wall was that little private club/pub/hole in the wall of a drinking establishment just down from Matt the Millers on the quay. I was in it years ago.

I thought the Hole in the Wall was that little private club/pub/hole in the wall of a drinking establishment just down from Matt the Millers on the quay. I was in it years ago.

That's the Home Rule Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

That's the Home Rule Club.

I was nearly right! :D

I dug up this old chestnut from a ye olde Kilkenny historical tome:

'In the eighteenth century the most westerly of its houses (the Archers on High Street No. 17,18 &19) became the famous 'Hole in the Wall'. This was the great supper-house of Kilkenny for about 100 years (1750-1850). The tavern was patronised by the young blades... of the day and numbered among its patrons John, 17th Earl of Ormonde (known as Jack Of The Castle)'

I bet that was the place to be. I reckon the ale and busty wenches and banging lute tunes were off the chizain.

Yea but it got raided by the shades in 1850 and that was the end of that.

Jack of the castle was reportedly 'Buzzin of his head on yawkes, lad" [1].

[1] Tynan's Walking Tours

It's also recorded that there was a lot of sexual assaults so they had to make it over 21's.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

There's opium growing behind it, junk fans.

Advertisement