Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theories about Amy

• 25-04-2010 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

The first episode was unusual was it not? she didnt seem to have parents, nor worry about them waking up, and when older ( but still just 19) she was definitely alone in the house.

I have a theory she is not human. Will elaborate later in the thread. Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

She said in the first episode that her parents were dead and she lived with her aunt who was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Aunt was out at 8:30 when the Doctor came. until 11:30 when he left ( just watched the first episode on iPlayer) and a later scene showed Amy wait all night until dawn. Amy is seven.

My Theory: No Aunt. The Aunt is prisoner zero.

So who is amy?

Pittens wrote: »
    Aunt was out at 8:30 when the Doctor came. until 11:30 when he left ( just watched the first episode on iPlayer) and a later scene showed Amy wait all night until dawn. Amy is seven.

My Theory: No Aunt. The Aunt is prisoner zero.

So who is amy?

I just presumed the Aunt was the stereotypical enforced guardian who didn't care about the but their is something mysterious about Amy so who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I don't know why, but I keep thinking shes something to either Donna Noble, or River Song and it's more than the hair colour :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh good god I hope she's not tied to past characters like that, it would make the new series seem too tied to what's already gone in the past.

Personally I'm not convinced there's anything intrinsically weird about Amy so much as there's something odd about her house (the crack in the wall). I figure she's an orphan who was living with her aunt - there's a fine British tradition of child/young adult fiction involving orphans living in horrible home conditions who then go on to have adventures of various sorts, so it would fit in that sense.

• Advertisement

No, I think she may be a permanently transformed multi-form.

I am no where near 100% on that though. Her aunt is an unusual case.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be hoenst, my theory at the moment is that she is just a girl, there's nothing special or wonderful about her.

Furthermore I want that to be true, I got a bit tired of DT telling companions how special they were, and there was already a little of that with Amy this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Yeah, for my money I hope that the only special and wonderful thing about Amy is her looks :D

I think the aunt being out all evening is just a "hmm maybe that doesn't make much sense now it's pointed out to the writers" type thing than something that has any deep meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Sadly I do wonder about Amy mainly cause she seems to have this knack to solve the major problems over the last two episodes - with a better intuition than the Doctor.

Her fixation with the Doctor is strange - after meeting for a few hours as a child she wants to leave with him...again the day before she gets married she jumps at the chance to leave with him... Creating all the stuff about the doctor as a kid.

Apparently her aunt will feature in an episode of Season 5 so don't think there is anything particularly special about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Actually if anything, I think Amy Pond is a bit of a homage to Sarah Jane Smith. Sarah Jane was raised by an aunt after her parents were killed as well. Also on her first meeting with the Doctor, Sarah Jane also pretended to be someone she wasn't (her aunt in this case). Also Sarah Jane used to challenge the Doctor's authority frequently particularly during the Pertwee era if I recall right. Amy seems to be echoing that in my opinion. I'm really enjoying Amy's character so far and she's easy on the eye too! ;)

I think part of me would like Amy to have some outstanding secret or surprise about her. But I know that's the fan in me wanting that. And that realistically that would be wrong and that it would end up her turning into a total 'Mary Sue' character.

I know as fans we can get carried away. After all, the anagram of Wilfred Mott is 'Time Lord ftw'! But I think Steven Moffat is unlikely to put a cheap stunt with his characters. However I have been wrong before! We shall have to wait and see!

• Advertisement

god the theories about Amy are nearly as goos as the show!

Here's one from another forum:
    Also there is something very odd about her living in a house on her own as a child, it recalls kid's adventure stories (like the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and Swallows and Amazons) where the parents are either distant or almost non-existent during the adventures. She might be an orphan but someone should have been looking after her. The lack of anyone, or even the sign of there being anyone else, is odd and jarring.

All this raises the possibility she is actually linked to the Doctor, could she be his daughter? Jenny (the "Doctor's Daughter" but really his clone, even if, in real-life, she is a Doctor's daughter ) has been shown to regenerate but I doubt she'd do so and turn into a young girl with no memories. However, what if she is his actual daughter with River Song (RTD: "one of the most important characters we've seen in the series")? They are playing their romance out of step with each other (like Alan Moore's Time War, which was fought backwards through time) so is there a child there somewhere too? Is hair colour important? Is the "not ginger" statement that caused a bit of a controversy linked with this? River Song is set to appear in the Moffat written two-parter (episodes 4 and 5) and it was Moffat who first introduced the character.

Soooooooooooo is Amy Pond their daughter and the Doctor has compressed space and time to create a pocket universe for her to grow up in? Could it be he does this in the future so doesn't yet know about it? What if this is Song's past and she does know? Will her behaviour and statements be worth watching closely? Is Amy being "trained" up by the Doctor to resolve the crisis, possibly without realising it himself? Will this all end with the Doctor giving her away at her wedding? Although possibly that might happen whatever her status is as she is an orphan. This angle would certainly add extra resonance to her question about whether he has kids or not.

All this will come to pass, or none of it. Or a little bit. We'll see. If I was in charge I'd be aiming at some kind of epic head**** at some point. Which, unfortunately, doesn't mean there is one in store.

I think the aunt being out all evening is just a "hmm maybe that doesn't make much sense now it's pointed out to the writers" type thing than something that has any deep meaning.

Ah, but this is moffat. He plans everything!

Anyway there is no need to emphasise the time if the Aunt was away for a few minutes, or an hour in winter it could have been about 6pm.

However there was a clock behind the doctor as he ate his first meal showing 8:30, a clock to his right as he finished ( custard and fishfinger) showing 9:30, and after running about upstairs the camera zoomed in on the first clock to show 11:30 just as the tardis disappeared.

That wasnt to show the passage of time, since the clock face didnt move to symbolise time passing, and the tardis left at night and came back in the morning ( we thought), which represents time passing.

all this is set up by the set designers. Two clocks. The only reason for having clocks is to say this girl was alone all night, without them it could've all taken place early evening in a hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

My current theory is that the doctor fell through one of the cracks in the universe curtosy of a crashing tardis and is in an AU where the daleks never stole earth

johnciall wrote: »
    My current theory is that the doctor fell through one of the cracks in the universe curtosy of a crashing tardis and is in an AU where the daleks never stole earth

"It was all a dream......."
    :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Sadly I do wonder about Amy mainly cause she seems to have this knack to solve the major problems over the last two episodes - with a better intuition than the Doctor.

Yeah, but we've only seen a few episodes. I think that her being bright and spotting things the Doctor's missed is more an attempt by the writers to reinforce that she's a strong character in her own right instead of the fawning "ooh I fancy the Doctor" type (*cough*Martha*cough).
    Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Her fixation with the Doctor is strange - after meeting for a few hours as a child she wants to leave with him...again the day before she gets married she jumps at the chance to leave with him... Creating all the stuff about the doctor as a kid.

It's not that strange though - she's an orphan, living with a relative who's evidently not that interested in her welfare and growing up in the sort of small town that can drive you mad if you don't have an escape plan. All of a sudden this guy shows up out of nowhere with a phone box that's a spaceship, turning every idea she's ever had about the world upside down and showing her that life can be so much more exciting and interesting than she'd thought before. Then he promises to take her with him! But he doesn't come back.

If he's the only thing that ever made her think the world could be a magical and exciting place, it stands to reason she'd get a bit obsessive over time. That's my take on it, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

the notion that she is like Sarah Jane Smith is very apt. When she said "oh you soniced her" to 11 it reminded me of how SJS childed 4 with his "I'm a timelord I walk in eternity" line from Pyramids of Mars.

Dont think she is infatuated, sure she is getting married in the morning
    not to mention that in Amy's Choice he goes and loses her for another big period of time (and there is some rumour that she is pregnant or a mother when he gets back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 louicious09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSyGaSz5djg&playnext_from=TL&videos=FJxd7dmXnLM&feature=rec-LGOUT-farside_rev-rn-3r-4-HM

I have heard a few theories that leadworth her town is not all it seems and there is theories that time is accelerated and all over the place there. Is it possible amy is still the child amelia.

i never thought it true until sm refers to as absolutely a child in this video

Dont think she is infatuated, sure she is getting married in the morning

that appears to be wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Ok here a few of mine .

She could the daughter of the Doctor and River. Or may she is River's mother.I think the the man River kill the Doctor, who the regenerated, may Amy is the Doctor ?

mach1982 wrote: »

She could the daughter of the Doctor and River

After the end of this weeks episode I really hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Pittens wrote: »
    that appears to be wrong :-)

Well, as of the end of Flesh and Stone, it appears that the story arc of this season is Amy's Crack. In more ways than one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, as of the end of Flesh and Stone, it appears that the story arc of this season is Amy's Crack. In more ways than one.

Epic post is epic.

I really wanted her to be "just" a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought this was as good a thread as any to post an interview of the oh so cute and delightful Ms. Gillen:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/BlogtorWho/~3/U5TXgAiuJPk/karen-gillan-on-graham-norton-show.html

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

K-9 wrote: »
    Thought this was as good a thread as any to post an interview of the oh so cute and delightful Ms. Gillen:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/BlogtorWho/~3/U5TXgAiuJPk/karen-gillan-on-graham-norton-show.html

Every thread is a good thread for that!

Epic post is epic.

I really wanted her to be "just" a girl.

I like the crack storyline, and I like reading fan theories and coming up with my own but after so many 'special' companions I really had hoped for someone normal.

Also Amy is the most intelligent, interesting and entertaining companion, IMO, since the reboot started (and she's fairly easy on the eyes as well :p) and to me it would be more interesting and do her more justice if she had all those characteristics and was 'just' a girl rather than someone who could possibly bring around the end of the universe.

Still it's nice to see a companion who has a thing for the Doctor that isn't fawning over or pining after him every episode so I can't complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Just to add some more food for thought. In the 'Eleventh Hour'. The Doctor professes to liking the name Amelia Pond because it sounds like a name from a fairy tale. In 'Flesh and Stone', when River Song mentions that the Pandorica. The Doctor says that it's just a fairy tale.

So Amy and the Doctor are living in a literal fairy tale? We'll have to wait and see I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Youre a very very sick man. I'm liking you already.... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

They should have called her Ciara Pond.....which would have been an anagram of.....Pandorica.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

exaisle wrote: »
    They should have called her Ciara Pond.....which would have been an anagram of.....Pandorica.....
    Is that supposed to lead into a line about how "I wouldn't mind seeing her open." Because we wouldn't stoop that low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is that supposed to lead into a line about how "I wouldn't mind seeing her open." Because we wouldn't stoop that low.

Thank God she keeps her legs crossed in that dress in the interview!

Swore I wouldn't resort to puns about that interview! Ah well! I do have a thing for redheads so that's my excuse. The rest of ye should be ashamed of yourselves.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement