Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanical Keyboards

• 25-04-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Anywhere know of any brick and mortar stores that sell mechanical keyboards ?

This old logitech keyboard is on its last legs and I want to replace it with something that will last me a while

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

like a typewriter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

try maplin if theres one near you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Overheal wrote: »
    like a typewriter?

They sound like one :p

They basically have mechanical switches instead of the rubber dome.

I've already checked Maplin, PC World, Harveys, Peats, Elara, Komplett and Pixmania....no luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Try electronic recycling finglas, ask for an old ibm keyboard.
    They have a website.Some people like typing on them more than new keyboards.

ricman wrote: »
    Try electronic recycling finglas, ask for an old ibm keyboard.
    They have a website.Some people like typing on them more than new keyboards.

Ah, the Model M, if I could find one of those it would be great, thanks man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Ah, the Model M, if I could find one of those it would be great, thanks man :D

I spent nearly three months looking for a replacement model m last year, couldn't get one for love nor money.

I ended up buying a Das Keyboard, which aren't cheap.

Two weeks after the Das Keyboard had settled in, an old pal from work phoned me and asked if I was still looking for a model m ... he had found one, hardly used, in the back of a filing cabinet :cool:

If you are prepared to spend a few bob, you could try here for a Das Keyboard -> http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Failing that, you could go for a proper keyboard, but it will cost you -> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

trout wrote: »
    I spent nearly three months looking for a replacement model m last year, couldn't get one for love nor money.

I ended up buying a Das Keyboard, which aren't cheap.

Two weeks after the Das Keyboard had settled in, an old pal from work phoned me and asked if I was still looking for a model m ... he had found one, hardly used, in the back of a filing cabinet :cool:

If you are prepared to spend a few bob, you could try here for a Das Keyboard -> http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Failing that, you could go for a proper keyboard, but it will cost you -> http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

I think my parents may kill me if I spend that much on more computer stuff (its my own money, but I have enough crap anyway lol), I'll send the computer recycling plant an e-mail tomorrow and try my luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

They basically have mechanical switches instead of the rubber dome.
    (

What's the benefit?

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    What's the benefit?

The keyboards themselves are higher quality than most rubber dome keyboards (logitech,Razer etc) and wont wear out nearly as quick. Most of the 1990's Model M keyboards will work just fine.

They also sound awesome to type on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Most of the 1990's Model M keyboards will work just fine.

My current one is from 1987 ... works like a charm. The one it replaced was from 1990, and that took a huge amount of abuse from me for over 10 years, until a cack-handed half-wit roofer stomped on it with his great big size 10 hobnailed safety boots :mad:

Genuine touch-typists claim to type faster on model m's ... I can't say that's true or not ... I just like the weight, heft and the precise nature of the key-press. The fact they don't have feckin' windows specific keys, or short-cut keys, also appeals to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement