Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meaning for your tattoo

• 25-04-2010 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

just curious anyone just get there tattoo for the look of it or have they meaning.
    I myself quite like the mystery behind the chinese writing and what the symbols mean, currently looking into getting it on my chest,
    proberly the symbols / letters for
    good. bad. love, live.

may sound corny but to me its how i see life, it can be good/bad. we love. and just live!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

one on my arm has no meaning at all. I just liked the look was all. The one on my chest is because I like waylon jennings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mig mag

I have three tattoos that mean something.
    One is my kids and husbands names,
    A giving up smoking promise (sad i know),
    And my husbands star sign on my wedding finger.
    Everything else was just for fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I think all tattoos should have some meaning.
    I don't necessarily mean you need to be recovering from some sort of an addiction, or some horrific accident in which half of your family has been killed in (Miami Ink Style). But let it mean something to you, be it remembering a lost loved one, or a good time in your life.
    I work in a tattoo shop and I see so many people coming in getting some seriously ridiculous, spur of the moment tattoos and it really makes you wonder if they are going to be happy with that tattoo a couple of years down the line.

Give whatever design you are thinking about getting, a fair amount of thought before going ahead with the procedure. If you are going to get oriental symbols in your tattoo, do your best to make sure they are ACCURATE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I used to think all tats should have a meaning, but I think the only pre-requisite should be a lot of thought being put into it. If it's going to be there for life, it should either mean something OR be something you absolutely fooking LOVE the look of.

I've only one so far, I can apply a false meaning to it, but fact is I liked the design enough for seven years to finally get it. People get engaged and married after less time than that, so at that stage its a safe bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I used to think all tats should have a meaning, but I think the only pre-requisite should be a lot of thought being put into it. If it's going to be there for life, it should either mean something OR be something you absolutely fooking LOVE the look of.

I've only one so far, I can apply a false meaning to it, but fact is I liked the design enough for seven years to finally get it. People get engaged and married after less time than that, so at that stage its a safe bet.

That's true. I didn't mean to come off seeming like the only tattoo you should get should be one with meaning attached to it. I see people coming into my workplace wanting a design that includes a few stars and them saying each star represents a different person in their family, which I think is a bit of an on the spot decision.

True that if you love a design, but have taken longer than a week to decide it is worthy of being on your body for the rest of your life, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

My two arm tattoos are just there because I love music, so I have a load of music symbols in an as of yet incomplete half sleeve. Hardly a deep meaning, treble clefs are fairly common, but I love them anyway.

The 3 on my legs are just there because an artist friend wanted to practice on me, and I liked the designs he came up with. They have no meaning beyond "Will I do this on you", "hmmmm, kay!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭alfy101

Lornen wrote: »
    I don't necessarily mean you need to be recovering from some sort of an addiction, or some horrific accident in which half of your family has been killed in (Miami Ink Style). But let it mean something to you, be it remembering a lost loved one, or a good time in your life.
    I work in a tattoo shop and I see so many people coming in getting some seriously ridiculous, spur of the moment tattoos and it really makes you wonder if they are going to be happy with that tattoo a couple of years down the line.

Give whatever design you are thinking about getting, a fair amount of thought before going ahead with the procedure. If you are going to get oriental symbols in your tattoo, do your best to make sure they are ACCURATE.
    the idea is in my head the last few months

i want a tribal design on upper arm (love the look of it) cant find a design i like yet

the lettering for the words on the chest im still working on. certainly dont want cock arcoss my chest in some other language lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I see people coming into my workplace wanting a design that includes a few stars and them saying each star represents a different person in their family, which I think is a bit of an on the spot decision.

Hhmmmm, I've been planning my tattoo for years... stars design which represent family members!!:o :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭moonstreet

my 3 tattoos all have meanings.

my first tattoo I got a few weeks after Michael Jackson was accused and arrested in 2003. I had been thinking about getting a tattoo for years but when that happened I knew it was the right time, and I found a perfect design, the famous dancing feet pose from Billie Jean, and his name written underneath. One of the reasons I got the tattoo was to show my support for Michael Jackson at a time when the whole world was against him.

My second tattoo I got in 2005, a few weeks after the not guilty verdict. This design has two meanings. Its based on the Neverland logo, the boy on the moon image down there in my signature. I chose that particular design, because on one of my trips to Santa Maria to support Michael Jackson at the court, I was at Neverland. As I had got my first tattoo at the start of the trial, it seemed perfect to get my second at the end of the trial.

My third tattoo I got in July 2009, and Im sure you can figure out why. It is a black fedora hat, with the words KING OF POP FOREVER.

Im planning my fourth tattoo at the moment. It will be on my foot and ankle and will eventually be like an ankle bracelet. The main part will be a cladagh based design, and the links on the bracelet will be roses. Im getting the cladagh design and one rose this year, in June, and then every year in June I will add another rose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

moonstreet wrote: »

my first tattoo I got a few weeks after Michael Jackson was accused and arrested in 2003. I had been thinking about getting a tattoo for years but when that happened I knew it was the right time, and I found a perfect design, the famous dancing feet pose from Billie Jean, and his name written underneath. One of the reasons I got the tattoo was to show my support for Michael Jackson at a time when the whole world was against him.

My second tattoo I got in 2005, a few weeks after the not guilty verdict. This design has two meanings. Its based on the Neverland logo, the boy on the moon image down there in my signature. I chose that particular design, because on one of my trips to Santa Maria to support Michael Jackson at the court, I was at Neverland. As I had got my first tattoo at the start of the trial, it seemed perfect to get my second at the end of the trial.

My third tattoo I got in July 2009, and Im sure you can figure out why. It is a black fedora hat, with the words KING OF POP FOREVER.

Im planning my fourth tattoo at the moment. It will be on my foot and ankle and will eventually be like an ankle bracelet. The main part will be a cladagh based design, and the links on the bracelet will be roses. Im getting the cladagh design and one rose this year, in June, and then every year in June I will add another rose.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

mine is a tribal sign for saggitarius, its a very simple design, I had seen it about 2 years previous to getting it and thought about getting it for the two years, was v nervous, thought it would hurt and whole marking your body for life thing. It didnt hurt and most times forget its there, but am glad I got, it does mean something as it took me so long to get it.

I also have a new one mind to symbolise my heritage so am designing that one myself this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

I have the playboy bunny on my shoulder blade (have it a few years now) I got it basically because I wrote my thesis on "Sanitisation of Corporate Identity" (was studying design communications at the time) and choose to write how the playboy bunny logo (something associated with sex and smut) can be changed to look fluffy and cute by its application to materials such as childrens/teenagers pencil cases, clothes etc. Changing and sanitising its connotations. I think its a very powerful logo and image and really like it.
    I then got a tattoo of Tigger from Winnie the Pooh on my lower back - really regret that one but hey I cant see all the time so it doesnt bother me that much I suppose.Dont really have a reason why I got that I just picked it off the wall on the day :rolleyes:

Kimia wrote: »
    :eek:

hi there, waves :) Im curious, why just eek, and no other questions or comments??? Dont worry, I wont be offended, all the mj fans love my tattoos and the stories behind them, so Im kinda curious as the people who are not fans think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

pics or gtfo

judas101 wrote: »
    pics or gtfo

here you go :)

tatt2.jpg
    December 2003, on the top of my left arm

191small.jpg
    September 2005, on my left shoulder blade

newtatweb.jpg
    July 2009, on my right shoulder blade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I remember I worked with a fella in London who had a bad tattoo of Mike Tyson on his back.

I got hours of endless fun out of asking him why did he have a rapist tattooed on his body forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I have three tattoos, two of which I designed (not anything special btw) and one floral design across my hip. The first two don't have a significant meaning, just something personal to me whereas the floral one has no meaning at all.

When people ask me what they mean I don't like discussing the ones that do mean something tbh. I got the tattoos because I love tattoos as a form of art. I love the way the ink works with people's skin colours and I love the idea of my body as a canvas. I think they look absolutely beautiful (the majority that is. ;) ) regardless of whether they have a meaning or not.

I would love to get the really classic old school tattoos done for example. The sparrows, dice, cherries, pin ups, etc.

Is that strange or does anyone else agree? I haven't met anyone else who likes tattoos purely for the art factor.. Prob because it is a lifelong decision... :o

FTA69 wrote: »
    I remember I worked with a fella in London who had a bad tattoo of Mike Tyson on his back.

I got hours of endless fun out of asking him why did he have a rapist tattooed on his body forever.

That is pretty funny but I wouldn't have said that directly to him. I think the worst thing you can do is tell someone who does have a tattoo that it looks like sh1t. Basically because they prob like it and it is on their skin for the rest of their lives. Again, I just think some opinions (in general, not attacking you here btw! :) ) are best kept to yourself sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Didn't mean to offend you Moonstreet! :) I just find it hard to understand why someone would love an 'idol' so much that they would tattoo their bodies with their names/images, that's all. It wouldn't be my scene I suppose!

Kimia wrote: »
    Didn't mean to offend you Moonstreet! :) I just find it hard to understand why someone would love an 'idol' so much that they would tattoo their bodies with their names/images, that's all. It wouldn't be my scene I suppose!

Wouldn't be my scene either but I guess alot of people get band logos and names tattooed on them too I guess! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Mine has no meaning, which is why a cover up may be in order.
    Damn being foolish and younger and thinking I'll never regret it.

NoDice wrote: »
    That is pretty funny but I wouldn't have said that directly to him. I think the worst thing you can do is tell someone who does have a tattoo that it looks like sh1t. Basically because they prob like it and it is on their skin for the rest of their lives. Again, I just think some opinions (in general, not attacking you here btw! :) ) are best kept to yourself sometimes.

Possibly, but there's rarely punches pulled on a building site. At the end of the day if you're retarded to go off and get such a personalised tattoo without considering the other aspects of that celebrity's personality e.g. rapist, sleeping in beds with kids etc then you deserve a good mocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The meaning of my tattoo is "Dya remember that saying you heard whatever goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas ? Well ya big feckin eejit tattoos don't stay in vegas."

I kid love my tats. Have a star, an anchor ,the statue of liberty and the vegas sign on my arm. The former don't really mean much but will always reminder me of my epic road trip across america. The anchor and the star and the writing on my lip do have large meaning. It's a sleeve in progress which when finish will hopefully love beautiful and be a right little storybook if I do say so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dysfunktional

my first tattoo I got a few weeks after Michael Jackson was accused and arrested in 2003.

so what would you of done if he was found guilty?? and that's not to say he isnt actually guilty.

One of the reasons I got the tattoo was to show my support for Michael Jackson at a time when the whole world was against him.
    the world was against him because kids were saying he touched them up,
    My second tattoo I got in 2005, a few weeks after the not guilty verdict.
    so if he was found guilty ,you would of got a convicted child molester tattood on your self..

so what would you of done if he was found guilty?? and that's not to say he isnt actually guilty.

interesting question, and one Ive been asked before, during the trial, by a work collegue. I'll say the same to you as I said then, no matter the outcome of the trial, I would never have been ashamed of my tattoo. I got it in 2003, after being a fan for nearly 20 years, and after travelling to see and meet Michael Jackson since 1997. My tattoo will always remind me of amazing adventures and magical memories, of the friends and fans I met along the way .
    the world was against him because kids were saying he touched them up
    exactly, and I believed deep in my heart that it was not true and I knew that getting a tattoo, at that particular time, was one way of standing up for what I believed in.
    so if he was found guilty ,you would of got a convicted child molester tattood on your self..
    if he had been found guilty (which he was not) I would have had a reminder of the happiest times of my life, a time when dreams came true and I met the man who has the biggest selling album of all time, a man who made it possible for black artist to be accepted into mainstream pop music by becoming the first black artist to be played on MTV and who inspired a whole new generation of music

a man who made it possible for black artist to be accepted into mainstream pop music

Yeah, he was so proud of it he promptly went through a myriad of mad surgical procedures to make him look like a white man. At the end of the day he was cracked, and probably a nonce in my opinion.

A lot of people get angry at the last suggestion, my question to those is would they let their child sleep alone in a bad with a man in his fifties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dysfunktional

interesting question, and one Ive been asked before, during the trial, by a work collegue. I'll say the same to you as I said then, no matter the outcome of the trial, I would never have been ashamed of my tattoo.

you wouldn't be ashamed to have a convicted child molester tattoo'd on you???i find that hard to believe.
    exactly, and I believed deep in my heart that it was not true and I knew that getting a tattoo, at that particular time, was one way of standing up for what I believed in.

he bought his way out of it, he even admitted it, he just wanted to throw money at them to make them go away, more or less a admission of guilt on some level.
    , a man who made it possible for black artist to be accepted into mainstream pop music by becoming the first black artist to be played on MTV and who inspired a whole new generation of music

he didnt do anything for black people that countless other artist didnt allready do. just he change white half way thru his carrier. sammy davis jr. ,james brown stevie wonder , jimi hendrix, ray charles, + the countless mo town artists, all came before waco and had more to do with black people being accepted,

and also "tina turner, donna summer, eddie grant (somehow?) a all aired on mtv before michael jackson`s "billie jean", but he is considered the first black artist to be played in heavy rotation and thus "breaking the barrier" but was not first black artist on mtv musical youth "pass the dutchie" was the first even befor micheal jackson." {source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_first_black_artist_on_mtv }

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Guys this is a thread about tattoo meanings. If you want to discuss what people may or may not have done, take it elsewhere.

First and last warning for this, infraction and a weeks ban for any offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I have the Monad hieroglyph on my forearm. It is meant to represent everything in the universe and where ever it is drawn concentrates the wisdom of the universe there, very handy.
    Got it to cover up a male symbol done with indian ink when I was about 15, very gay looking, in a very primitive townie way.
    Tis much better now and the start of some very interesting conversations.

I also have a tribal 'hieya' on my upper arm, interlocking, but not touching (?) spirals. The meaning is that between the darkness and the light is existence, so its not the tats that are meaningful, but the space between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I have a phoenix on my upper right arm to signify rebirth and second chances also put the date when i got my second chance (actually died twice came round in intensive care three days later to be told i was diabetic)

Advertisement