Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meaning for your tattoo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I have the letter M on my wrist for godparents who were also my grandparents and I also have a star there.

My next one is going to be the word Faith. It is band related, its really only something fans would regonise as being band related. Otherwise its just the word Faith and it will be on my ankle.

I do see a lot of beautiful tattoos that I would love, but I do worry that because they don't have any meaning to me I would regret them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

i dont think tattoos SHOULD have a meaning
    First of all each to their own
    secondly, my 3 current tattoos have a meaning
    My next tattoo im getting is because its a beautiful piece of art
    and the idea of that artwork tattooed on me is the reason behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 firebirdphoenix

I think programmes like Miami Ink and so on encourage people to think that tattoos have to have a meaning....I have one full sleeve, and I'm in the process of getting the other arm filled in, and I can't honestly say that my tattoos have a lot of meaning in them. For me, it's seeing beautiful (in my opinion) art work on my body, and the uniqueness of every design makes the pain completely worth it. There's only so many 'meaningful' moments in my life that can be recorded, and I don't particularly want to remember all the sad things in life...

Having said that, I can understand wanting to get a tattoo with meaning, but I still think Miami Ink over-dramatises the reasons behind why people get tattoos... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It annoys me when people feel they have to have a meaning behind their tattoos.

I have the Transformers symbol on my left leg and am currently getting a biomech leg piece, no meaning behind that except i love the artwork in it.

Thundercats symbol on my back, absolutely no meaning behind it.

F.E.A.R on my wrist. My favourite Ian Brown song.

Liverbird(Liverpool related) on my right calf, no meaning except i love Liverpool.

My daughters name and footprint on my right forearm. Obviously has meaning behind it, and without a doubt my favourite tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I've got a heart,a flower, a biohazzard symbol, flames and an ace of spades being pierced by a sword releasing souls.

Each one has a deep meaning that would make even the most hardcore miami ink watcher cry tears of such sorrow they'd instantly grow a side fringe. ;)

• Advertisement

Well when I got my first tattoo a few months ago it was only because of the way it looked. It's a tribal Pokémon, but despite the fact that I've loved Pokémon for over a decade and this particular one has been my favourite for all that time, the only reason I wanted it was because it was pretty. It was after I got it that I really fell in love with it. I treat it like my baby and hardly a day goes by that I don't admire it and moisturise the skin around it so that it shows up better. I guess my point is that however you feel about the design before hand is never really an indicator of how much you may love/hate a tattoo afterwards. Sometimes tats can develop a significance all on their own.

...Now let's just hope I'll love whatever other tats I may get just as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

My first tattoo (thai writing on my arm) doesnt have any special meaning or anything but it just reminds me of a great time i had, and as it was done the traditional thai way with bamboo i think its more of a permeant reminder/memory than a deep meaningful taught out piece.

My second tattoo really is just a piece of art. No meaning whatsoever, its just a stunning (IMO :D) piece of art that i carry around with me.

Love both pieces dough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Ive got an old Harley engine surrounded by the words Pledge Your Allegiance.

Thats the name of a song by one of my favourite bands, Suicidal Tendencies.
    Even though I still ride a harley and listen to loud music I might try to get sensible one day, this is my permanent reminder of whats important!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

cycocycle wrote: »
    Ive got an old Harley engine surrounded by the words Pledge Your Allegiance.

Thats the name of a song by one of my favourite bands, Suicidal Tendencies.
    Even though I still ride a harley and listen to loud music I might try to get sensible one day, this is my permanent reminder of whats important!:)

I like that!!! Thats how I feel about mine, little reminders about certain moments in time.

I have one on my right foot, the words We Spark & Fade, which is a line from one of my favourite songs, I got this one done kinda as a tribute to my nanny who I was really close to, she had alzeimhers and that line always struck me in that song...

I have flowers up my left leg for no other reason than they are pretty.

Hamsa hand on my inner lower right arm cos I love the meaning behind that..

The words Melody & Memory on my wrists, also from another song and as a reminder how music played such an important part in my life...how songs can take you right back to some of the most amazing moments in your life

3 other band tattoos on my wrist, neck and upper arm and a TERRIBLE tattoo at the bottom of my back (got it when i was about 18 and just wanted a tattoo, no thought into it at all!) and another one on my lefy shoulder that I wouldnt really get now, but is kinda sentimental.

Oh and my most recent one, across my chest latin writing Luceat Lux Vestra (cos i like what it means!) surrounded by vines & swirls and 6 stars. Its one I am still getting used to as its right in my face every day and still seems so big...but its gorgeous so I am happy!!

Plan to get the one on the bottom of back lasered enough to get a rather large tattoo on my back...still at planning stages.

Sorry for the waffle!!

Always say each to their own, tattoos dont have to have any meaning other than you like them....if they represent something special to you then all the better. I like how tattoos tell a story...and I want my story to be a good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I like my tattoos to have some sort of meaning.
    I have 3.

My first...which was "yay, I can get a tattoo..I want this one" ( A zip) totally random and totally impulsive...and yes, I kind of regret it. ....
    My second is a washing machine and dragon, with meaning for me... also took months of planning and thinking over.;)
    My third was impulsive but just as important to me (if not more so) than my second.

And I'm not 'working' on my fourth ...which is also going to have some meaning ..and partly just 'design' ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aaron-

I have three tattoos myself, I don't think it's a must that they have meaning, but some people like to justify thir decisions for some reason.

I have a small tribal dragon on my upper right arm, i've always been fascinated by dragons!

Flames up my left wrist (looks amazing when I w*nk >.> jk.)

Scorpion on my chest, I quite like scorpions, perfect killing machines, and i'm also a scorpio.

My next will be Warhammer 40k related, I love the books, I love the fantasy, I love the whole universe and I think Space Marines are badass. =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Aaron- wrote: »
    I have three tattoos myself, I don't think it's a must that they have meaning, but some people like to justify thir decisions for some reason.

I have a small tribal dragon on my upper right arm, i've always been fascinated by dragons!

Flames up my left wrist (looks amazing when I w*nk >.> jk.)

Scorpion on my chest, I quite like scorpions, perfect killing machines, and i'm also a scorpio.

My next will be Warhammer 40k related, I love the books, I love the fantasy, I love the whole universe and I think Space Marines are badass. =P
    I love tribal dragons and have thought about getting one myself, just because they look fantastic. Wondering if you could post a pic of yours? I love seeing cool tats ^^

My brother has a scorpion tat... also a nice look, 'threatening'. ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just a Treble Clef with 4 stars around it. Treble clef because I love music and the stars because...well I thought it would look a little lonely on its own. No particular reason for 4 stars either.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Nyberg

I'm not of the opinion that tattoos should have a meaning.

But.....

I have 'My health is my wealth' in arabic, starting halfway down my spine.
    I've had a brain tumor for the past 10 years, and when i catch a glimpse of it in the mirror, it brings me back down to earth when I'm freaking about stupid things!
    The reason for the arabic is that i love the culture.

Advertisement